Why do people constantly slam this game?

2»

Comments

• edited March 2012
    Lukedfrt wrote: »
    Well my PS3 version of the game has frame rate problems every 10 seconds, that is a product that does not work as it was intended to do. So yes.

And boo hoo for Telltale it might be hard for them to fix the PS3 version? Well they shouldn't have released it in the first place then! They are the ones at fault here, i purchased a product that does not work as it should and they wont fix it. What a joke.

I can sympathize with your frustrations. I asked for, and received, the X Box 360 version for Christmas. I was really enjoying the game until Chapter 2, Episode 2, when a glitch stopped me from progressing further in the game. With no on-screen prompts, the story stopped. I could back out of this and repeat the scenario...but I couldn't move forward. The game literally stopped.

I really want to be able to play this game. I don't know what is wrong. I purchased my X Box 360 console in 2008, so maybe my console is "too old" to play a game that came out in 2011. But I have had no other such troubles with games that have come out this year or last, so it has to be on Telltale's end.

Very frustrating, indeed...
  • edited March 2012
    The_Ripper wrote: »
    Are all the PS3 users having serious frame rate issues with the game or is it only you?

A lot of people are having the problem.
    rodmanrc wrote: »
    I can sympathize with your frustrations. I asked for, and received, the X Box 360 version for Christmas. I was really enjoying the game until Chapter 2, Episode 2, when a glitch stopped me from progressing further in the game. With no on-screen prompts, the story stopped. I could back out of this and repeat the scenario...but I couldn't move forward. The game literally stopped.

I really want to be able to play this game. I don't know what is wrong. I purchased my X Box 360 console in 2008, so maybe my console is "too old" to play a game that came out in 2011. But I have had no other such troubles with games that have come out this year or last, so it has to be on Telltale's end.

Very frustrating, indeed...

It is annoying, especially considering Telltale are supposed to "care" for their customers :(
  • edited March 2012
    Lukedfrt wrote: »
    A lot of people are having the problem.

If you can still playing the game despite this frame rate issues... they don't have to give you a refund, I think. It's bad optimizing, that's all. If you are not satisfied for the game's quality don't buy more games from them and that's it.

Anyway what's the fps you get when you are running the game in PS3?

rodmanrc's case is another thing. He can't play the game at all. He may would have the right to claim a refund.
  • edited March 2012
    I guess I'm just having trouble with the people complaining about graphics and gameplay. Telltale put out like, what, a dozen or so videos and screenshots that showed exactly what the game looked like and how it played. I get being pissed about bugs and glitches, that's what brought me here in the first place. That's what's pissing me off about Resident Evil ORC. I knew how the game looked, and I knew that it was going to be QTE, because of all the previews we were given for it.
  • edited March 2012
    T163 wrote: »
    I guess I'm just having trouble with the people complaining about graphics and gameplay. Telltale put out like, what, a dozen or so videos and screenshots that showed exactly what the game looked like and how it played. I get being pissed about bugs and glitches, that's what brought me here in the first place. That's what's pissing me off about Resident Evil ORC. I knew how the game looked, and I knew that it was going to be QTE, because of all the previews we were given for it.

Most of the complaints are not because the game is QTE based, it's because the QTE system is so poorly executed and unpolished.

Like you said, fans knew what to expect, Telltale just didn't deliver.....
  • edited March 2012
    I think your all raving lunatics i loved jp,diffrent style than what im use too but i enjoyed it its an adventure game so yeah i expected that most people come ove to telltale thinking they are gonna get some huge epic shooter or rpg sorry to dissapoint thats not what telltale is about telltale been very niche in their gaming genre they are just getting more and more people because they are releasing some major ips like bttf and jp and next walking dead. alot of people are gonna qq about walking dead too because without reading and thinking they are gonna preorder then relize its not like cod or l4d or dead island but its a surprise and adventure game. WELCOME to the niche.
  • edited March 2012
    Goldrock wrote: »
    I think your all raving lunatics i loved jp,diffrent style than what im use too but i enjoyed it its an adventure game so yeah i expected that most people come ove to telltale thinking they are gonna get some huge epic shooter or rpg sorry to dissapoint thats not what telltale is about telltale been very niche in their gaming genre they are just getting more and more people because they are releasing some major ips like bttf and jp and next walking dead. alot of people are gonna qq about walking dead too because without reading and thinking they are gonna preorder then relize its not like cod or l4d or dead island but its a surprise and adventure game. WELCOME to the niche.

Ugh. Not even going to touch this one....
  • edited March 2012
    jpark_08 wrote: »
    Ugh. Not even going to touch this one....

Thought the same :)
  • edited March 2012
    Goldrock wrote: »

I'm pretty sure I'm a lot more familiar with Telltale than you are. I've beaten all three Sam and Max seasons, SBCG4AP, Tales of Monkey Island, Puzzle Agent, Hector, BttF, and Jurassic Park. I'm also probably a lot more familiar with the adventure genre than you are. I've perfect-scored the entire Zork trilogy.

I agree that the newbies that complain constantly about Telltale not making FPSes (nothing against FPSes myself, mind you) are annoying, but believe it or not, not everybody who doesn't like one of Telltale's games is like that.

The reason I hated Jurassic Park isn't because it's an adventure game. It's because it's not an adventure game.
  • edited March 2012
    I agree that the newbies that complain constantly about Telltale not making FPSes (nothing against FPSes myself, mind you) are annoying, but believe it or not, not everybody who doesn't like one of Telltale's games is like that.

Being a newbie to this forum, I have to ask: are there really people who complain constantly about Telltale not makes FPS's? I haven't seen any yet. In fact, what I mostly see is people who use FPS's as a strawman (i.e. "You don't like JP? You're probably just mad because it's not like Call of Duty, etc").
  • edited March 2012
    Quit it people we are all just crazy idiots JP was great and perfect in all aspects we are all just jealous because we're aint such geniousses like telltale are I would say lets aknowlege the fact that JP was the best game evar made and love telltale from now on for not making shooters ok?
  • edited March 2012
    johnnyt471 wrote: »
    Being a newbie to this forum, I have to ask: are there really people who complain constantly about Telltale not makes FPS's? I haven't seen any yet. In fact, what I mostly see is people who use FPS's as a strawman (i.e. "You don't like JP? You're probably just mad because it's not like Call of Duty, etc").

Not so much on these forums, since most of the people who post on Telltale's forums are...well, people who care about Telltale. Go to anywhere else that gaming is discussed, and it's a safe bet that casuals who have no clue what an adventure game is will be complaining about Telltale.

I clearly remember tons of people whining that Back to the Future wasn't GTA with time travel, Jurassic Park wasn't Trespasser, and The Walking Dead isn't Left 4 Dead. And these are the people Telltale's trying to sell these games to since they've started going casual. More proof they should stick to their niche.

Oh, and it's not just Telltale. Adventure games in general seem to suffer from this. I remember every time the Double Fine Adventure was brought up on /v/ (and probably plenty of other sites too) there were tons of people who couldn't seem to grasp what an adventure game was.
  • edited March 2012
    I should add that some of the best adventure games (Zork, Myst, King's Quest) have had borderline non-existent plots.

Wait... What?

best adventure games (Zork, Myst, King's Quest)

best adventure games

Myst

LOL!
  • edited July 2012
    Zork, yes. Myst, no.
  • edited July 2012
    I think it may have had to do with people wanting the game to be something it wasn't, and then hating it for the fact that it wasn't what they wanted.
  • edited July 2012
    Well, Ive bought this game on Steam with the Summer Sales and it's great for me.

Thank you, Telltale. Good job!!
  • edited July 2012
    I also bought this game with steam summer sales. I was amazed by how much I hated it. I still managed to beat it mainly out of the sunk cost fallacy and spite.

Here's everything I hated in the order of how much it bothered me:

1. The characters.

if I had to pick a "favorite" character its a tie between Gerry and Oscar. This in only because they had little to no personality to speak of (Well Oscar is prone to violent fits of rage we know that much about his personality). I can forgive Jess because she's a kid so she's supposed to be annoying. I want to see Laura and Nima in a Saw sequel.

Laura is a cliche' radical environmentalist who loves animals more than people and thinks that the world revolves around her and her agenda. That said: I do think the game portrays her as the bad guy.

Nima thinks the fact she has a kid and got evicted from her ancestral home justifies pointing a freaking gun at a 14 year old girl and force marching her and her father into a jungle filled with predators away from where they know a rescue team is going to come looking for them. She also berates the people who save her life and constantly accuses the rescue team members of murder for their line of work (Historically being a mercenary doesn't mean being loyal to the highest bidder and they've often fought for ideological causes but I digress). Worst of all, she gets rewarded in the end.

Yoder annoys me with his constant attempts a humor (all of which fall flat) but I actually found him sympathetic for most of the game. He's also a horribly inconsistent character. He refuses to leave without Decaf and Makes sure to cut Oscar in to embryo deal, thereby reducing his own share. He risks his life or at his least leg to try and help Oscar and is overwhelmed with grief when he dies. He comes off as an incredibly loyal guy and then goes full on psychopath on the group in the last episode.

2. The graphics

Well, actually, the animations bother me more than the graphics. They're too jerky and remind me of old pixar films. The facial expressions are too exaggerated and I remember Yoder constantly making expressions that made me think someone was having silly time in garry's mod. These are both really jarring. The graphics were fine for most of the game, but whenever the sky was in a picture it looked like it was painted on a wall 2-5 feet away from the objects in the picture. Oscar just looked really wrong too me. I think its because his features were too rounded.

3. The gameplay:

Remember that part of Resident Evil 4 everyone hated? Lets make a whole game like that. This also ruined the "interactive movie" experience for me, I was always looking for prompts-never feeling like I had the time to watch the action unfold. Controls were cumbersome, making me click on a menu instead of simply walking across a room. My cursor would also disappear, forcing a reload.

Yes, you can make the valid argument one should research a game's gameplay more thoroughly before you play it. I can make the argument that telltale did a major disservice to fans of a franchise by hammering it into a niche that catered to a smaller audience (I'm talking quicktime btw I actually think more traditional adventure gaming would work very well in a Jurassic Park setting). I believe that my argument is also valid.
  • edited October 2012
    They always slam the game because people wanted a good RPG Jurassic park game. Here is an example, You could be in a 3d first person or third person environment. You can choose to help Denis Nedry to take the Dino Embryos. Or you could spy on him and tell the park people his plan and save Jurassic park. But if you choose the second method, the raptors have already gotten out because of the sudden power outage. They could take detours from the main story and make it interesting.

Make it an open world that when you go into the forest and explore it is different every time and is never ending. (like what Minecraft does) And there are different dinos that spawn depending where you are in the story. They could make it where if you are evil (maybe have a karma system like fallout 3) you could have different followers and have different endings according to your actions. And you could hunt down all the dinos and kill them for someone for money. (for a evil character)

Or if you are a good person, find dino dig sites and dig for dino bones for jurassic park and also watch out for dinos that want to feed on your flesh. This would help Jurassic Park to make even more dinos. They could have different quests like fixing the power grid at night when it's blown out or improve their security so people like Nedry can't do what he did again. Take the wonderful music from the game and make it express itself at the right time (like in the movie). I know it would take a while to make this game but it would be worth it. I think everyone could agree that this could be a awesome game that could rocket Telltale to a whole new level! Am I right people?
  • edited October 2012
    Nima and Oscar have personal history. She's calling him specifically a murderer, not mercs in general. Her speech alludes to him being involved with her people's forced removal from the island.
  • edited October 2012
    Posted On 10/07/2012, 02:54 pm They always slam the game because people wanted a good RPG Jurassic park game. Here is an example, You could be in a 3d first person or third person environment. You can choose to help Denis Nedry to take the Dino Embryos. Or you could spy on him and tell the park people his plan and save Jurassic park. But if you choose the second method, the raptors have already gotten out because of the sudden power outage. They could take detours from the main story and make it interesting.

Make it an open world that when you go into the forest and explore it is different every time and is never ending. (like what Minecraft does) And there are different dinos that spawn depending where you are in the story. They could make it where if you are evil (maybe have a karma system like fallout 3) you could have different followers and have different endings according to your actions. And you could hunt down all the dinos and kill them for someone for money. (for a evil character)

Or if you are a good person, find dino dig sites and dig for dino bones for jurassic park and also watch out for dinos that want to feed on your flesh. This would help Jurassic Park to make even more dinos. They could have different quests like fixing the power grid at night when it's blown out or improve their security so people like Nedry can't do what he did again. Take the wonderful music from the game and make it express itself at the right time (like in the movie). I know it would take a while to make this game but it would be worth it. I think everyone could agree that this could be a awesome game that could rocket Telltale to a whole new level! Am I right people?

What do you guys think of my last post?
  • edited October 2012
    I'm thinkin that you should stop posting on a dead forum and forget the idea of a new JP-Game from telltale cause it wont happen.
  • edited October 2012
    I don't know man,I like the game so far :D
  • edited October 2012
    to Sadonicus: You never know, if you give them what you want they may make it.

to Foinikas: thanks, I think it is very possible and I know that people like this idea. Sure it would take a while but it would be worth it!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.