Worms Armageddon

edited June 2007 in General Chat
I decided to open up this new topic since talking about this in the other topic is quite off topic.

Several of you sounded ready to play some matches of WA. How should we set this up? I am currently on Central Europe time, and some of you I know are on Somewhere in the US time. Which lends to an early morning for Europe'ers, late night for US'ers, or a morning to afternoon for US'ers and night for Europe'ers.

Does that make any sense? Anyone have a suggested Day/Time? Rule set? Forumers versus TT employees match?

Comments

• edited May 2007
    I'm on EST, almost any day is fine with me if we have a match.

(Forumers vs. TT sounds like a great idea, btw)
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2007
    I'm up for that. I know Nick, Daniel, Kevin, and Doug also have been known to play WA.
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited May 2007
    I have GameTap. :) I'll play Worms Armageddon with you all some time. :D
  • MelMel
    edited May 2007
    Will there by play by play commentary*?

*or at least exciting ESPN style post game coverage... :)
    edited May 2007
    Oh, on GameTap? Hm. We just play the standalone versions. Lots of people here who for some reason or another played a lot of Works back in the day. That said, we have a lot of GameTap accounts here.
    edited May 2007
    Mel wrote: »
    Will there by play by play commentary*?

*or at least exciting ESPN style post game coverage... :)
    Post game coverage would be fun to read as a post on the Telltale blog. :D
  • edited May 2007
    I personally liked Worms 2 better, but I would be very excited about a good game of WA if I could use the standalone version.
    edited May 2007
    mickey wrote: »
    As far as I can tell, people with GameTap versions can play online with people with standalone versions, so there should be no problem there.

WormsNet Unlock!
  • edited May 2007
    I'm using the standalone version and in the CEST timezone (Europe). For rulesets I prefer high turn time, low round time, high hit points, high crate chance, various objects, random mines, infinite rope and a healthy dose of unconventional weapons. And I think I prefer the wild chaos of a battle royale to a team match. None of these preferences are very strong though, I'll pounce at any conveniently timed match you set up.
  • edited May 2007
    With my luck all of you are absolute Worms gods :P
  • edited May 2007
    Well I did just get my deathmatch rank up to Elite in a matter of days, which involves having to pit two of your worms against 15 level 5 computer worms in the final match. :D I had to resort to darkside tactics in the later matches though, and actually my aim with B&G isn't all that good.
  • edited May 2007
    Sweet gorgonzola slices on the home stretch to victory! Yeah, I'm on your team :P
  • edited May 2007
    Oh, I should totally check this part of the forum more often :P
    I would love to join in on a game someday...
    Haven’t played in a long time, but I'm sure that my copy is lying here in my room somewhere.
  • edited May 2007
    Shall we maybe try for an hour or two this upcoming weekend? Say, Saturday or Sunday at 21.00 (9 pm) CEST which would be 12:00 pm Pacific DT and 3:00 pm Eastern DT in the USA? Or is there any other time/date suggestion?

We could meet in the Anything Goes channel on Wormnet. First person there hosts a game TTGF with password, um, lagomorph. If the room is full, host TTGF2 with the same password maybe. Hopefully an even amount of players shows up so everyone gets to play at the same time... anyone know of a better way to coordinate this come the day of the action?
    edited May 2007
    Anyone know if any progress has been made in making WA run reliably under Vista? For me right now it runs at about 2 FPS, if that, despite my previous PC (which was a far worse config) running the game at 1920x1200 smooth as silk.
  • edited May 2007
    I am dual booting XP and Vista, and could not get it to run at a decent clip in Vista ever. I had the odd color problem, and what seemed to be less than 1 FPS.

For the color problem, read the posts in here (team17 requires registration to read posts... or you can use bugmenot.com):
    http://forum.team17.com/showthread.php?t=32164

For framerates, maybe this one will help if you have an nVidia card:
    http://forum.team17.com/showthread.php?t=32560
    It suggests installing the 160.03 beta forceware drivers.

There is also a "fix" by one of the forumers that I just found... not sure if it always works, though. It is an .exe modified for DX10, and works with the latest beta patch. Might be worth a try as well, if the above don't work.
    http://forum.team17.com/showthread.php?t=27612 --beta patch
    http://wa-ce.tripod.com/ --modded exe and stuff, beware of Tripod popups

Although if you have a machine not running Vista, it might work out better to try the game on that... sorry. Hopefully these suggestions help, or some other forumer has a good suggestion too.
  • edited May 2007
    I've only been able to find a few rather obvious near-insulting remarks. But just in case: the first thing to try is the official patch, followed by the (beta) Update v3.6.26.5. Next up: XP compatibility mode. After that: Run as Administrator. After that: update your video drivers (some people report success with ForceWare 160.03 beta).
  • edited May 2007
    Hey, don't die just yet, thread :) Anyway, to mark this special occasion (and perhaps also to bump) I've made a comic, a team flag vaguely resembling the ttg logo if you don't look too closely (at a mere 20x17 pixels and 256 colors things get tricky; anyway, copy the .bmp to your WA\User\Flags directory to be able to use it as a team flag), and a few theme-levels (unzip into WA\User\SavedLevels, though for online games only the host needs to have them).
    Derwin, in the weekend at 21.00 sounds acceptable enough. Would some other people yay or nay, please?
  • edited May 2007
    Well, shall we plan on at least a few of us playing this weekend, or try to match up next weekend?
  • edited May 2007
    I'll be available for both, so either way's good with me.
    edited May 2007
    ShaggE wrote: »
    I'll be available for both, so either way's good with me.
    Ditto. I'm up for a game whenever.
  • edited May 2007
    I might be able to join in on a game tonight... Can't promise anything though...
  • edited May 2007
    Sure, I'm game.

If you have a Nvidia card on Windows Vista, you'll need these drivers.

Otherwise, you can use Virtual PC. Granted, it's not an optimal solution.
  • edited May 2007
    I couldn't check last night if anyone was on, but my current plans are to be on tonight at the aforementioned time. I will either start the game or join the game if someone else gets on before I do. Did anyone play last night?

Hope to see someone tonight!
  • edited May 2007
    I was there at nine-ish and fajerkaos arrived around ten-ish. But some kind of "copy protection error" kept us from playing. From the T17 forums I gather this is often due to a botched install, some kind of fluke, or the TryMedia version of WA (though I don't use that and I doubt fajerkaos does). I tried to join some other games later that night and that seemed to go just fine, so I plan to be on tonight for another go.
  • edited May 2007
    I'd join you guys, but I have satellite internet and my latency is generally over 1500ms... :(
  • edited May 2007
    What time should we meet up tonight then?
    edited May 2007
    ShaggE wrote: »
    What time should we meet up tonight then?
    Unless plans have changed, "Sunday at 21.00 (9 pm) CEST which would be 12:00 pm Pacific DT and 3:00 pm Eastern DT in the USA"
  • edited May 2007
    Ah, I must have missed that post. Thanks.
  • edited May 2007
    Bah, the game crashes right after I try to connect to WormNet... dunno if it's a GameTap issue or what.
  • edited May 2007
    just repeating, game will be ttgf and password lagomorph
  • edited May 2007
    Mickey, was that you who was on tonight? I saw a Mickey pop in and out of the channel. We had some problems hosting the games at first, but we got it figured out by 9:30. Next time it should run smoother, I hope.
  • edited May 2007
    Damn DirecWay ISP, I'm missing all the fun. :/
    edited May 2007
    I came in and waited for a while, but no one from the Telltale forums that I recognized was in there, so I left.

Well, I'll see you all next time then.
  • edited May 2007
    Here's something I've managed to dig up on getting things to run properly: you apparantly need to set port forwarding for port 17011 to be able to host.
    And, in older news: you need to ensure that WormNet is using your outside ip, even if you don't host (force the correct ip through the wormnet config).
  • edited June 2007
    Maybe a tad on the late side for this, but let's ask anyway: anyone care for another go same time tonight? I think I'll just go hang around wormnet at nine and see if anyone shows up. Now that I found out what dmz does, I think I should be able to host as well (hello, theme levels :)).
  • edited June 2007
    Sorry, I couldn't last night, and wont be able to tonight either... I have an exam on Monday that I need to study for, and I am already worried I wont have enough time. Grrr... stupid school. I will probably be up for a few games next weekend though.
  • edited June 2007
    I tried to, but then I saw that GameTap just released a couple more Metal Slug games. Need I say more? :P
  • edited June 2007
    Relax guys, no need to apologise. I knew it was a long shot, and technically speaking there is this MSc thesis thingy I'm supposed to be really busy with...
Sign in to comment in this discussion.