CSI 3 Demensions of Murder Freeze and crash problems

edited May 2007 in Game Support
Hello all, new to the board, hoping to get some help.

This past weekend I purchaed the aforementioned game. My wife is the one who primarily plays it. Ever since she installed the game we've had freeze and crash issues. I'm well within the system requirements, i hope. My directx is the correct version

The problem is prefaced by a loss of voice sound. Background music plays fine. Then, at some point, the game freezes. The only way to unfreeze is to restart the computer. This usually happens after the game has been running for about an hour.

My first thought is it's a sound card issue. I'm led to believe that by the system requirements in the manual. The manual states that a sound card must be present or the game will not run. The readme file also contains a list of sound cards that have been tested with the game. I'm currently using the integrated sound card on my desktop motherboard. Should or do i need to upgrade to an internal plugin sound card? If so, which one is recommended(in addition to the ones in the readme file for the game)?

I've got an ATI 128mb video card installed. I doubt that's causing problems. The only other issue i can find is a conflict with my McAfee virus scanner, but i can run other games with the virus scanner on and there's no problems.

Am i close to being correct? or am i totally off my rocker?:confused:

Comments

• EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2007
    I'm sorry you're having trouble with 3 Dimensions of Murder. :(

Did you install the patch? You might want to try that first. You can download it here.

Could you tell us your other system specs (i.e. memory, processor speed, the type of ATI card you have, operating system, etc.)?
  • edited May 2007
    Emily wrote: »
    I'm sorry you're having trouble with 3 Dimensions of Murder. :(

Did you install the patch? You might want to try that first. You can download it here.

Could you tell us your other system specs (i.e. memory, processor speed, the type of ATI card you have, operating system, etc.)?

Yes i downloaded the patch last night. It seemed to help the game run smoother but it didn't solve the initial problem.

1gb ram, AMD processor(don't remember the speed, at work now, will provide that later), ATI radeon 128mb video card, Don't remember the model offhand, Windows XP pro with SP2 pack. I'll firm up the details when i get home tonight.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2007
    Thanks. You should also check and see if you have any other programs running in the background while the game is running that could be interfering, and try turning off your virus protection temporarily to see if that resolves it.
  • edited May 2007
    Emily wrote: »
    Thanks. You should also check and see if you have any other programs running in the background while the game is running that could be interfering, and try turning off your virus protection temporarily to see if that resolves it.

Is there anything else i can do? Can anyone help me to figure if this is a hardware conflict or a software conflict? Are there any other patches or fixes that might address this problem?
This discussion has been closed.