Hello from NZ

edited June 2007 in General Chat
Just thought I'd say "HI" to everyone here. *waves*

I live in Auckland (NZ's biggest city). It's currently persisting down with rain and not very nice at all.

It's 10.23am and I'm avoiding work.

I should've just stayed at home being at one with my couch.

Comments

• edited May 2007
    *waves back*
    'Ello!
  • edited May 2007
    I can seeee you.
  • MelMel
    edited May 2007
    Welcome! :)
  • edited May 2007
    Helloooo! I used to work with someone from NZ. I can't remember which part though. It was near a mountain? Maybe not.
  • edited May 2007
    Hello. You are not alone!
  • edited May 2007
    YAY ... more Kiwis here than I was expecting.

Hi all

Do you kiwis find that NZ is seriously lacking in adventure games? I get very frustrated every time I go into a games store only to discover that about the only games I can buy are shooting or war games!
  • edited May 2007
    You might want to check out http://www.adventuregamers.com.
  • edited May 2007
    I'm quite surprised at the number of NZ'ers here myself. But then again, most of the people I know are suckers for adventure games. I reckon there's nothing better than being curled up on a couch with some blankets and friends, desperately trying to finish Kings Quest VI before the sun comes up.

Anyway, hello and welcome! I hail from down in Wellington and although I was born in Auckland I still hold a bit of a grudge against the place. It's just too damn big for me.

As for adventure games, your best bet is probably Gamesman. They sometimes have stuff. Either that or Cash Converters.
  • edited May 2007
    I've bought some off trademe, which really is the best way to go. http://www.gpstore.co.nz is also pretty good at getting them in. The Warehouse has the recent rereleases of the LucasArts classics (Monkey Island 3, Grim Fandango, Sam & Max Hit The Road, The Dig, & Full Throttle for $10).

But yeah EB or Gamesman or those other mall chain stores are pretty "top 20" and console driven. I'm loving the whole digital download thing Telltale is providing.
  • edited May 2007
    I find 'em where I find 'em. New game stores are okay, but for old games I like to hunt through the Trade and Exchange type magazines because you can often find some really good bargains in them. And people rarely know what the value of what they're selling is... :D
  • edited May 2007
    I guess now there's more NZs here than Germans... ;)

Actually since Jackson's "Lord of the Rings" (probably the best advertisement NZ ever got) I'm dying to go to there... though I'm not even sure if just for a vacation or for living there for a while. I guess I'd start with a vacation, since living THAT far away from home scares me quite a big deal, but time and money contraints don't allow for it.
  • edited May 2007
    Yeah, I'd love to go to New Zealand myself one day... it's supposed to be beautiful, and not only that, but there's also lots of sheep - very photogenic animals. I think I'd feel right at home there.
  • edited May 2007
    Haggis wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd love to go to New Zealand myself one day... it's supposed to be beautiful, and not only that, but there's also lots of sheep - very photogenic animals. I think I'd feel right at home there.

Although, of course, sheep should be afraid of someone named Haggis... but thank god you're not Scottish.
  • edited May 2007
    Haha, they have nothing to fear from a vegetarian like me. :)
  • edited May 2007
    we need more australians so we can make fun of the new zealanders..
  • edited May 2007
    Hey I'm all for making fun of the kiwis... but then agian, the Aussies too... ;) Then again after the cricket world cup I should just shut up :P
  • edited May 2007
    Hello fellow kiwi! *waves* It's 10:25 here is "sunny" England and I wish I was still in bed.

About the games situation in NZ> hey, at least you have game stores now! when I was growing up the only thing we had was Kmart.. no seriously.. if you wanted any game that hadn't been just released you had to use the trade and exchange. Oh how times have changed, it's so much easier to find things nowdays.
  • edited June 2007
    True, very true purple monkfish.

It's good having Trademe now too - lots of people sell some of the older games on there at a pretty decent price too.

The Warehouse now sells PC games as well.
  • edited June 2007
    Yeah, I got NWN from the warehouse last time I was back. YAY boxing day sales!!! we don't have them here.. unless you want a kitchen
Sign in to comment in this discussion.