Where's the save games located?

edited June 2010 in Sam & Max
Hi, I recently got a new computer, but I haven't finish episode 6 of sam and max, I wanna play it on the new computer instead, does anyone know where the saved game is located so I could copy it over to the new computer? Thanks!!!

Comments

• edited May 2007
    They're right in your "\Sam and Max - Bright Side of the Moon\Sam and Max - Bright Side of the Moon Data" folder.
  • edited May 2007
    Harald B wrote: »
    They're right in your "\Sam and Max - Bright Side of the Moon\Sam and Max - Bright Side of the Moon Data" folder.

Indeed they are, is that supported/allowed on Vista ??
  • edited May 2007
    Harald B wrote: »

Thanks for the reply, that might be where it's stored on XP, but both systems are running Vista, and I don't see the saved game in that folder. Could it be stored elsewhere on Vista?? What's the file name of the saved games?
  • edited May 2007
    Weird. That is where they are on my system (running XP and earlier 2000). The files have the .save extension, at least in my case.
  • edited May 2007
    xendria wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, that might be where it's stored on XP, but both systems are running Vista, and I don't see the saved game in that folder. Could it be stored elsewhere on Vista?? What's the file name of the saved games?

Try looking for "Auto Save.save"

Since it is vista, it probably stores them somewhere under the Settings directory for your user.
  • edited May 2007
    It should still be in the data folder. Unless the games themselves save it there on Vista only, I can't see why otherwise.
  • OMAOMA
    edited June 2007
    I still don't have Vista, but as far as I know, Vista doesn't let programs to write data in the "\Program Files" folder, so when a program asks to do that, then Vista automatically writes the data somewhere else in the running user's settings folder (inside "\Users"), but in a transparent way, so the program still thinks it's writing/reading in a folder inside "\Program Files". As I said, I'm still not using Vista, so please correct me if I'm wrong ;)
  • edited June 2007
    I have the same problem and I am running Vista too.

I just played the whole game again. No big loss. ;)
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2007
    Search for files that end in .save and see what you find.

I'm surprised to hear they're not in that folder on Vista. I'd like to know where they are, too.
  • edited June 2007
    Just searched for *.save and came up with this for example:

C:\Users\Maxine\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Telltale Games\Sam and Max - Abe Lincoln Must Die\Sam and Max - Abe Lincoln Must Die Data
  • edited June 2007
    OMA wrote: »
    I still don't have Vista, but as far as I know, Vista doesn't let programs to write data in the "\Program Files" folder, so when a program asks to do that, then Vista automatically writes the data somewhere else in the running user's settings folder (inside "\Users"), but in a transparent way, so the program still thinks it's writing/reading in a folder inside "\Program Files". As I said, I'm still not using Vista, so please correct me if I'm wrong ;)

Sorry, I was wrong.
    I'd find that so unbearably irritating. Why?! I can't see a point to it, and for me, it'd be more trouble than its worth.

And the more general form of the above is:
    X:\users\<user>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore

There is one thing however, does this cause any compatibility problems with any other programs? What about game patched. If writing to Program Files is prohibited, how does one update a program (like Steam)?
  • OMAOMA
    edited June 2007
    Sorry, I was wrong.
    I'd find that so unbearably irritating. Why?! I can't see a point to it, and for me, it'd be more trouble than its worth.

It supposedly adds security so no malware can mess around with your system and program files (in theory).
    And the more general form of the above is:
    X:\users\<user>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore

There is one thing however, does this cause any compatibility problems with any other programs? What about game patched. If writing to Program Files is prohibited, how does one update a program (like Steam)?

When you try to install an update an annoying login screen will appear asking for your administrator password, so the update program can get permission to write to your real "\Program files" folder.

When running the game regularly as a normal user, it doesn't have access to that folder, but to the virtual "Program files" folder which is inside "\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore". In terms of compatibility it should be ok, since the OS just tells the program that it's really writing in the real folder (even though it's not), but maybe there is some weird scenario in which this virtualization can fail. Who knows...
  • edited January 2009
    Don't know if this applies but I found the save game data for SBCG4AP under My Documents\Telltale Games\<Episode name>.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2009
    That's where the Season Two and SBCG4AP saves are stored. For Season One they were stored in the game folder.
  • edited February 2009
    Back when I played, oddly enough, I could NEVER find my savegames... somone on one of the boards asked for a savepoint and I couldn't get it out of the game... dont think I even HAD a folder \telltale\ (or \telltalegames\)
  • edited June 2010
    If you have them on steam check in a folder similar to this one...
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\sam and max episode 6

Sign in to comment in this discussion.