Why I lost interest after EPISODE 1

Comments

• edited May 2007
    This is a computer game and not a cartoon so let it feel more like a game

My understanding of the premise is it *is* supposed to be like a cartoon, but also like a game. Like a kind of hybrid. :)

*wonders if I can get a tax break for playing hybrid games*
  • edited May 2007
    Kesari wrote: »
    My understanding of the premise is it *is* supposed to be like a cartoon, but also like a game. Like a kind of hybrid. :)

*wonders if I can get a tax break for playing hybrid games*

Ah, yes, hybrid games are much more fuel efficient! :P

I enjoy the sit-back-and-watch style of the game, personally. It reminds me of the FMV adventure era. (Yes, I'm one of the 3 people that misses FMV games ;))
  • edited May 2007
    I never played FMV games. I guess I was always suspicious that they'd be boring or something. And boredom's not a burden anyone should bear.
  • edited May 2007
    I would also like to give some critics. I played all the S&M episodes and I can say this game haves smething special but ! I mean ok my english is not the best beacause I am someone who lives in a non english speaking country, so that I didn t understand all the jokes in the game. My feeling was like reading a book and if I understood what I was reading I could go on so I didn t have to use my fantasy (or simply brain) to go on... It was like playng a Sierra game (Sorry for this but I really played a lot of adventure games and lucas arts games were allways the best made).
    My hope was that you let me feel like I am the actor and the one who is pushing the buttons!
    I know your budget was not the biggest so you didn t make this game so dynamic, but if I were you I would put more dynamics in the next game, and why not put some more options like the old "pull push use watch talk etc etc...." (sometime is funny to try "pull" or "use" to someone to see what happens).
    This is a computer game and not a cartoon so let it feel more like a game :cool:...
    This are my wishes for session two so I hope for myself that this changes will come :D.

l am sure that once the game is localized at your country's language, it will most likely contain jokes that fits more to your country. l mean localizations work that way
  • edited May 2007
    The thing is that Sam and Max are cartoon characters.They "live" in a cartoon world.What to them might seem a global catastrophy,to us it might seem...pathetic.And don't get me wrong by the word pathetic,by that I mean it's a small and often non existing danger.You have to lower yourself to the cartoon perspective to actually understand the irony.And that thing with "point and click means you just click stuff",I'm sorry but I really don't get you.If you spent your time Sam and Max just randomly clicking...well I see why the game didn't get to you.It's humor...sure,we all would want to hear how sam and max met each other but at the same time we realize that this isn't the purpose of the comic...and that the story would get too...emotional.And it's not in S&M's personalities,or any other character's for that matter.So unless you learn to look past the "unbelivable" appearence of season one and the following ones to come,I'm afraid you'll play one less good game.

Also,at least for the "respect" for S&M that you have (if you read the comics than I suppose you found them interesting) I would advise you to at least play the demos.
  • edited June 2007
    "point and click means you just click stuff"

Not true.

You also point.
  • edited June 2007
    And you lift your finger too! And... And... Move your eyes and head?
  • edited June 2007
    I find it funny how spam threads or troll threads in general get more attention than normal threads. I mean if I go in a forum and say something on how I hate whatever with flawed reasoning (for example, The United States have yet to travel onto the moon. It is all a trick so that the U.S. can be seen superior to Russia. We all know that it is possible for anyone to land on the moon, considering it is made out of cheese. We would just sink through.)

Also, threads about some chick who just joined the forum since she likes videogames or whatever gets a lot of replies. Why? elementary! Most of the males who reply to the threads are probably single and are deseperate in finding a date, so they see some chick who has the same interest and think they can hit it off with her. I seen it all the time when Maxis had a Sims Chatroom that was open to the public. I think they closed the chatroom because of a lot of teenage(11-14 yr old demographics) boys were hooking up with the teenage girls and just cause nothing but internet dramma. That and the non maxis employee mods(mid 30s) were abusing their powers. I was the minority at the time since a.) I wasn't a horney teenager looking for an internet girlfriend and b.)I wasn't a mod; I was like 18-20 and that age group was a rarity. Because I was neither, I normally got picked on and banned by one of the mods all the time( whenever she were bored.) I can tell you how common it was for a mod to mute me or threaten to permentatly ban me for saying stuff that is historically accurate. I remember almost getting a permenant ban for saying how Austraila was originally a prisioner island used by the British. There was another time I almost got ban by a male teenage non maxis employee mod for being afk for 5 mines; Apparently, he thought I was ignoring him since he asked me something and threaten to ban me for it. They would even mute me for their own personal pleasure. I eventually got ban for something that wasn't just by that one female mod. Eventually, I just snapped and made made more accounts, which eventually got banned since that particular 30 something abusive non maxis employee mod found out it was me one way or another. For instance, someone once snitched on me for having a new name and whamo, ban. LOL However, it was funny this one time when I decided to use the name "Dune Cyber" (even though I had a bunch of different names at that chatroom, they knew me most as Doom Saber) and no one figured it out who I was until I spelled it out for them. Once someone got it, i was banned. Eventually, I just got fed up of being muted and banned all the time for no reason and left. A year later, I heard that they closed down the chatroom.

I digress
  • edited June 2007
    This is a highly successful joke topic.

I give it a gold star.
  • SquinkySquinky Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2007
    doom saber wrote: »
    Also, threads about some chick who just joined the forum since she likes videogames or whatever gets a lot of replies. Why? elementary! Most of the males who reply to the threads are probably single and are deseperate in finding a date, so they see some chick who has the same interest and think they can hit it off with her.

I'm flattered, dear, but no thanks.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2007
    Just fueling the flames, man...
  • edited June 2007
    He has a good point. If something doesnt happen, season 2 will not have the immidiate attraction for me as season 1 - a big part of what made me finish the season was just the fact that its a comeback Ive been waiting a long time for, and unfortunately in some points neither the story or the humor hit the spot for me. I don't like being a critic but there you have it.. Sorry people im not trying to offend you, but thats how it is.
  • edited June 2007
    abdallah wrote: »
    He has a good point. If something doesnt happen, season 2 will not have the immidiate attraction for me as season 1 - a big part of what made me finish the season was just the fact that its a comeback Ive been waiting a long time for, and unfortunately in some points neither the story or the humor hit the spot for me. I don't like being a critic but there you have it.. Sorry people im not trying to offend you, but thats how it is.

I'm glad to see somebody else feels the same way as I :) I have to say, the humour in the first episode hit home with me. But in the later episodes it just got too repetitive, and the "look, it's our favorite [this or that]" made me really feel like I was watching a D-series where they just try to bring the focus away from that the actors actually has no jokes they want to tell, but to remove the focus from that they just keep refering to that they have met this person before, and what happened then.

Anyway, I never was a big Sam & Max fan it turns out. I just loved Hit the road A LOT, and I feel I have gotten the closure I needed after I've played the first episode of the first season. The others were alright too, but some of those felt a little far fetched. I felt it really got bizarre when the dimensions of their actions were so far reaching.

The first episode was very much a typical sam & max assignment in my eyes(beside, all the characters were new and the "formula" of the episode was not set yet). But when it moved to them taking control of the tv network, I thought "Alright, that's believable, I guess". Then it moved on to them taking down the mafia, and I thought "Now it's getting a little overboard, but alright. I can believe in that they could take down the mafia, especially a local mafia". Then when Max became president in the 4th episode I just said "Now it's starting to going too far... this makes no sense anymore." and at that time I stoped believing in the story.

After that it just got worse, like a trainreck, because the same stuff were reused over and over again, the same characters came back over and over again, and the story just became wilder and more insane with every episode. Of course, hit the road was also insane, but at least the story was believable(especially since they had added other comical elements, like the gigantic lost & found inside the tent). Anyway, like I've said before. Hit the road left me wanting more, season 1 has just left me glad that it's over, and has made me realize that I may not be the big sam & max fan I thought I was turning into.

Still, when all of that is said. I have to say that I've had a good time playing through the first season. The season really has some golden jokes from time to time, so even thought it was not constantly funny I still had a good time and felt I got what I paid for. Still, I see that I most probably won't enjoy the next season, so I wish TTG good luck with the next season and will later silently withdraw to observe the demos of the next season. Just so I know what I am missing to see if I can be prove wrong, even though I highly doubt it.
  • edited June 2007
    Squinky wrote: »

huh?
  • edited June 2007
    Jake wrote: »
    Just fueling the flames, man...

Let's add more flames and see this thread burrrrrrrrnnnnnnnn! :D

I wonder if the original poster actually read our responses.
  • edited June 2007
    Now, hold on. I've seen a lot of trolling in my day, and this topic isn't trolling. Let up.

Honestly, had I decided to judge the entire season from episode 1, I might have judged it pretty harshly myself. Episode 1 was rough, no doubt about it. But of course that isn't fair. In 4-6 it picked up so much in every category - puzzles, dialogue, scope, even voice acting - that it knocked my socks off. So I'm definitely awaiting Season 2.

I am hoping for the series to get less repetitive, though. Season 2 needs a BIG change to shake things up, or this could get boring.
  • edited June 2007
    tim333 wrote: »
    Now, hold on. I've seen a lot of trolling in my day, and this topic isn't trolling. Let up.

Honestly, had I decided to judge the entire season from episode 1, I might have judged it pretty harshly myself. Episode 1 was rough, no doubt about it. But of course that isn't fair. In 4-6 it picked up so much in every category - puzzles, dialogue, scope, even voice acting - that it knocked my socks off. So I'm definitely awaiting Season 2.

I am hoping for the series to get less repetitive, though. Season 2 needs a BIG change to shake things up, or this could get boring.

I am sure other ppl here seen a lot of trolling too in their days and will say otherwise. Just that the refuter seems to have facts crossed a lot to make a good argument like abdallah and Marsan. It seems that the poster wants his audience to get wilded up. Also, given the fact that the poster have yet to return, points more in the troll arena.

I mean I wouldn't be suprised if the poster, thinking that this game will play just like HTR, tried it for 30 minutes and quit because it is nothing like HTR. Being sadden that his hopes for a "true sequel" of HTR is splattered, he makes a rather blatant post to the site in hopes his message gets across and that TT will start producing the episodes more like HTR.

But truth be told, staffs in these sorts of settings do not accept any critism they take since it might be something that the minority have fits about. If they do, the staff have to update Sam and Max episode 1 constantly, doing and undoing the changing based on one fan's opinion.
  • edited June 2007
    After reading tim333's post, I decided to check all of the post Milkdog make to make sure if he was a troll or not. Sure, enough, Milkdog sounds like a troll.

I mean, I find it really, really strange that Milkdog claims to like episode 1 last year, bashes it 5 months later.

Here is a quote by him in response to episode 1
    100% in my books.

I'm always amazed at how humans can take something already so great and take the time and effort to make it even better. It's a monumental achievement.

and here is another
    If they make it anything close to EPISODE 1, I'm happy.

First I was so keen they get it as close to HTR as possible. Now I don;t care about that anymore, and want it to be like CULTURE SHOCK already.

Sigh. I guess I'm just more secure with the familiar. Though the voices in HTR were untrumpable. Now I like Culture Shock's new voices even more.

Forgive me, for I have doubted.

I have yet to see what EPISODE 2: CHEESE & BOVRIL SANDWICH has in store.
    Loved the game.

Also, it is pretty odd of him to ask how he can pay for an upgrade since I thought he said he didn't want to buy another episode? Hmmmmm
    Ok, question -

I've bought the first game. Can I upgrade to a season option? I remember seeing an UPGRADE option, but didn't pay attention to it.

I paid $8.99 with a credit card. How can I UPGRADE, and what does this UPGRADE allow me? Downloads? A CD with free shipping? (I live in South Africa).

Shortly after, it seems that Milkdog lost his mind and became evil sarcastic Milkdog. Here is a random response to a poster asking about having night scenes in the game
    You're being a short-sighted bigot.

Yes, you.

Here is him when the episode 2 trailer is out?
    I've checked 'em out.

EPISODE 2 takes place in your mouth.

Here is a response he made about someone asking how much it cost to make an ep
    It costs $29876 to make an episode.

Source: CIA. I phoned them and told them my name was Michal Jackson and so they told me.

He made another similar quote in regards to price of ep, but involved tmnt rather than Michael Jackson.

And that concludes our reasoning on why we think he is a troll. The first post in this topic sounds as if he never played episode 1, yet months ago, he claims he did and loved it. I think he just wants to start caca with ppl.

Here are the links to some of his quotes if you want to check them out

http://telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13771#post13771

http://telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13316#post13316

http://telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1270

http://telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1343

http://telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1254
  • edited June 2007
    Let us bow for a moment of silence for Milkdog, and mourn his passing into madness...
  • edited June 2007
    doom saber wrote: »
    Also, threads about some chick who just joined the forum since she likes videogames or whatever gets a lot of replies. Why? elementary! Most of the males who reply to the threads are probably single and are deseperate in finding a date, so they see some chick who has the same interest and think they can hit it off with her.
    Squinky wrote: »

I'm sure I could get all upset about this if I wanted to, but that would be pointless.
  • edited June 2007
    I find it hilarious that I upset some of you. i didn't buy the rest of the season after episode 1, and because of my good nature, I pointed out reasons why not.

After skimming through the replies here, it looks as though Episode 4, 5 and 6 are winners, whereas anything before sucked eggs. Haven't played and PC games for ages, and I don't think I'll end up getting the rest of the episodes, unless I find a store selling the entire season on disc or something, which would be quite remarkable if I saw something like that in South Africa. Yes, I know you can order it via the online shop, but the Internet here is as reliable as Max's train of thought, and although the postal services have improved a great deal, it's similar to playing roulette and betting on 'red'...well...maybe a bit more reliable than that.

I wish Telltale the best of luck with the rest of their Sam & Max efforts, and it's awesome that people are so inspired and hardcore fanbois out there. May the Sam & Max legacy continue. (I'm a fanboi of the comics. Yes. You cannot compare ANYTHING Sam & Max to ANYTHING Sam & Max, as I have seen pointed out in numerous other threads.)
  • edited June 2007
    Wow. This is either a case really, really bad mood swings, or he's just insane anyways. I wouldn't really sink to this level, but may I say this:

LOL TROLL.

There, I finally got it out. Thank you all and good night.
  • edited June 2007
    Hey buddy, I'm making an effort to buy and play through Episode 4, 5 and 6. If you want reviews that pat Telltale on the back and tell them how great they are, go read other threads.

Here's a man who thinks like me. Bill Tiller from A Vampyr Story:
    A Vampyre Story uses modern technology but sticks to classic gameplay mechanics

BT: Yes and no. There is no need to do real-time 3D environments that I can think of. I think the way of Grim Fandango, Syberia, and Runaway is the best way to do it. The only reason to have real-time 3D environments is to have action oriented gameplay. I have to be honest, I hate driving my character around in a real-time environment, like in Grim Fandago. I appreciate Tim Schafer's attempt to get rid of the interface and use Manny Calavera as the interface, but I spent too much of my time just trying to navigate in that game and not enough time solving puzzles. Point and click is the only way to go in my opinion. Real-time 3D is really unnecessary.

We went with 3D animation and character to take advantage of what 3D can do such as particle effects, parallaxing, real-time lighting, UV scrolling. Why not take advantage of that 3D card sitting in everyone's PC to make the games look better? But also at the same time keep what made the games look great in the past: good 2D art whether painted or pre-rendered like Syberia or Grim Fandango.

Don't get me wrong, I love real-time 3D games, but only for first person shooters and RPGs, not pure adventure games.

Totally, totally agree. 100%
    (EDIT - just tried buying Abe Lincon must Die episode, got an error message:
    "A problem occurred when you tried to submit your order. Please contact support@telltalegames.com to find out if your order went through." Oh well...I'm trying to see your points of view guys. I'm trying)
  • edited June 2007
    I'm a little confused, because Sam & Max Season 1 is entirely 3D, everything is rendered in real time. Are you saying you hate the driving sequences? Yeah, a lot of people thought the controls were a bit akward, but there is only really one driving sequence after episode 3 or 4, and it's short.
  • edited June 2007
    To just go from one end of the spectrum to the other is kinda coincidental, don't ya think? I'm not trying to bash the guy here, but I find this entire thread to be one of the most successful joke topics I've seen. Kudos to you for that. It's hysterical. Even if it truly wasn't a joke topic, it's still really hilarious. Oh well. Let's hope you can get your computer to run episode 4.
  • edited June 2007
    Reminds me of the Jim Davis's Garfield method (which I have read online); Whenever Garfield is not popular, the creator would pump out the license to keep him alive. If he is too popular, the creator cuts back on the license.

I kind of see what the tro-I mean topic starter is doing. When topic is not popular, poster makes more comments. When topic is popular, poster makes no comments.

Wasn't Monkey Island 4 for the ps2 in real time 3d? I don't see what is the big deal between pre rendered graphics and polygons if it doesn't affect gameplay.

Trying to keep this topic alive? Let it die, let it die
  • edited June 2007
    I cant wait for the vampyre story, but I was sad to learn it was 3d :( Anyway like what ya want I say.. I can say I wasnt pleased with ep 2 or 3 but 1 and 4+ awesome.. I just hope they keep pushing the line like I said in another thread :P
    Also they could make the driving awesome, but I think they just tried to make a mini game like the bone one :P which reminded me ALOT of the BC quest for tires

http://www.mobygames.com/game/bcs-quest-for-tires

Anyway respect that others like the game or dont its up to you :P You have many valid points and many invalid. Id focus on the valid ones and stop comparing this game to games that arent even out yet.
  • edited June 2007
    mikdog wrote: »
    I wish Telltale the best of luck with the rest of their Sam & Max efforts, and it's awesome that people are so inspired and hardcore fanbois out there. May the Sam & Max legacy continue. (I'm a fanboi of the comics. Yes. You cannot compare ANYTHING Sam & Max to ANYTHING Sam & Max, as I have seen pointed out in numerous other threads.)

Ladies and Gentlemen, that is how you flip-flop on the issue. :) Milkdog's flip-flop wasn't a simple one, this was a big flip-flop, like the one you'd expect from an Olympic Athlete on a caffeine and drug-fueled diet wearing only flip-flops. :eek: He was backed into a corner and could have fought his way out, but instead decided to back down, making this entire forum void.

Hopefully, he'll be able to play the entire of Season 1, as it was intended to be played and see the error of his ways, but till then, keep flip-flopping Milkdog.
  • edited June 2007
    I'm sure he doesn't mean to act so unpredictably all the time, there are a lot of people in the world with health issues that they can't fix.
  • edited June 2007
    I'm not sure I understand Bill Tiller's comment, as he seems to flip-flop from one sentence to the next:
    There is no need to do real-time 3D environments that I can think of. I think the way of Grim Fandango, Syberia, and Runaway is the best way to do it. The only reason to have real-time 3D environments is to have action oriented gameplay. I have to be honest, I hate driving my character around in a real-time environment, like in Grim Fandago. I appreciate Tim Schafer's attempt to get rid of the interface and use Manny Calavera as the interface, but I spent too much of my time just trying to navigate in that game and not enough time solving puzzles.
    For the record, I thought the transparent interface in Grim Fandango was terrific and really added to the immersion factor of the game.
  • edited June 2007
    Yes, I hear flip-flopping can be dangerous to your health. :)

It's one thing to give in to outside pressure, and in Milkdog's case, a lot of pressure, but its another to try pass yourself off as a completely different person. We all have different tastes, and if he felt that Episode 1 was bad, so be it, but to base his previous arguments about the other 5 episodes without trying them, only going by the teaser trailers on their respective pages, is wrong.

As jam tasters, drug abusers and same-sex couples say, "Don't knock it till you've tried it!" :D
  • edited June 2007
    I'm glad everyone (sorta) agrees with me. I thought I was going to get flamed until it was not possible to get flamed anymore, and then you guys would get a space marine squad with a flamer to help you.
    Let's go with doom saber's idea and NOT POST ANYTHING (shhhhhh, don't tell mikdog!). Then we will see how many posts mikdog makes, okay?

Also, everyone get the DiRT demo over at Fileplanet. I just started playing it, and it's a really awesome racing game. The only thing I don't like is that Travis Pastrana is the narrator....
  • edited June 2007
    Also, everyone get the DiRT demo over at Fileplanet. I just started playing it, and it's a really awesome racing game. The only thing I don't like is that Travis Pastrana is the narrator....
    Last I checked, the DiRT demo came packaged with StarForce, and that's an absolute rejection in my book.
  • edited June 2007
    Well, I think this thread has exhausted it's original purpose. If Emily or Jake feel so inclined, locking it wouldn't hurt. New threads can always be made. :)
  • edited June 2007
    Last I checked, the DiRT demo came packaged with StarForce, and that's an absolute rejection in my book.

CRAP! Gosh I hate starforce. However, I didn't see any installation of starforce anywhere, so I'm kinda doubting your claim. Remember, people,
    DONT POST ANYTHING, WAIT AND SEE HOW MANY POSTS MIKDOG MAKES
    !
  • edited June 2007
    Proceeding with the derail here, I'm downloading the Fileplanet version of the DiRT demo now, but a version of the demo I downloaded elsewhere was packaged with StarForce. Do you recall the demo asking you to restart after installation was completed?
  • edited June 2007
    AdamG wrote: »
    Well, I think this thread has exhausted it's original purpose. If Emily or Jake feel so inclined, locking it wouldn't hurt. New threads can always be made. :)

I agree. This thread seems like a "I am Milkdog and I deserve attention" topic. Since it have served its purpose, locking it would be cool.
  • edited June 2007
    I concur.
    Also, regarding DiRT: it appears that Codemasters wised up and the Fileplanet version doesn't appear to have StarForce with it. (Yay!)
    Unfortunately for me, my RadeonX800 isn't up to the task - the demo requires an X1300 minimum, so I can't run it anyway. (Boo!)
  • edited June 2007
    I'm not sure I understand Bill Tiller's comment, as he seems to flip-flop from one sentence to the next

He was addressing the graphics (good) and the controls (bad) as separate entities.
  • edited June 2007
    I concur.
    Also, regarding DiRT: it appears that Codemasters wised up and the Fileplanet version doesn't appear to have StarForce with it. (Yay!)
    Unfortunately for me, my RadeonX800 isn't up to the task - the demo requires an X1300 minimum, so I can't run it anyway. (Boo!)

Wow, I thought the vid card requirements would be a LOT higher... I still won't be able to play it though (at least, not without putting every setting on low), with my meager 512 MB of RAM :(

*can't wait to get a 360... even though all my time will be dedicated to Dead Rising anyway... :p*
This discussion has been closed.