[WD] Doesn't Work in Windows 8 Consumer Preview

edited October 2012 in Game Support
Is anyone having issues running this on Windows 8 Consumer Preview? The Steam dialog will pop up, but then nothing else. No process is created for the game.

Tested the same Steam installation on Windows 7 and it worked fine, so this is definitely related to Windows 8.

Comments

• edited April 2012
    Windows 8 isn't even in beta state right now. Why do you wonder if something doesn't work?
  • edited April 2012
    SaviorX wrote: »
    Is anyone having issues running this on Windows 8 Consumer Preview? The Steam dialog will pop up, but then nothing else. No process is created for the game.

Tested the same Steam installation on Windows 7 and it worked fine, so this is definitely related to Windows 8.

I completed the game on Windows 8 last night, had to run the game in XP SP3 compatibility mode and i had to disable my 360 pad for it to even start.
  • edited April 2012
    you should have no expectations on Win8no 3rd party apps are officially supported or could be expected to run.
  • edited April 2012
    wilsonk wrote: »
    I completed the game on Windows 8 last night, had to run the game in XP SP3 compatibility mode and i had to disable my 360 pad for it to even start.

Can't believe this worked. Especially unplugging the Xbox controller. Thanks:)
  • edited April 2012
    der_ketzer wrote: »
    Windows 8 isn't even in beta state right now. Why do you wonder if something doesn't work?

Consumer Preview = Beta :)

Interesting set of steps. Thanks a lot for the help!
  • edited April 2012
    SaviorX wrote: »
    Consumer Preview = Beta :)

It's not a "beta" it's a preview.
  • edited April 2012

I could kiss you. I might kiss you, you beautiful bastard.

Nothing I tried before this worked, and I was on the verge of giving up until a later date.
  • edited April 2012
    It's not a "beta" it's a preview.

No, trust me, it is. I work for Microsoft as a Windows developer. :)

Developer Preview = Alpha
    Consumer Preview = Beta
  • edited May 2012
    You are amazing my man. After searching for forever, I finally got it to work!

Disconnecting the Xbox 360 gamepad from USB and setting compatibility mode to XP SP3 worked like a charm. I could just kiss you!

The following is for anyone searching google to be able to find this thread easier!
    tales of the monkey island doesn't open
    tales of the monkey island doesn't launch
    tales of the monkey island doesn't launch 64bit windows 8

Paying it forward for others! :D :D :D Signed up to this forum just to thank you!
  • edited July 2012
    I just went from the Dev Preview to the Release Preview, build 8400 I just got it to work by unplugging the 360 controller.

I did not need to set it to run for XP.

Regards
  • edited July 2012
    Thanks for this, and thanks to Anton to for tagging it. Unplugging the controller worked great. Looks like it's probably an xinput issue then.
  • edited July 2012
    Oh, thank you so much. I am also running RP, and unplugging my controller made everything happy. No compatibility settings necessary.
  • edited July 2012
    I had to remove Logitech MoMo force feedback wheel to get the game starting so i think if anyone got any game controller that`s plugged in .The Walkin Dead wont start in windows 8 RELEASE PREVIEW.
  • edited September 2012
    I have windows 8 pro RTM. not beta. full
    still have to disconnect 360 controller wireless thing for game to launch.

dev team fix!
  • edited September 2012
    Hello all, after upgrading to Windows 8, my Steam version of the game stopped working for me. I don't have any wireless controller hooked up, have tried every possible compatibility settings, did the Steam cache validation and cache, the game still won't launch for me. help!
  • edited September 2012
    Found a fix for me on Windows 8 RTM (x64).

I have an xbox 360 wireless adapter and could not get the game to launch at all, even after unplugging it, changing compatibility mode to XP SP3, run as Administrator, etc.

Here's what worked for me as I found a clue for this in another thread on this forum (http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29796&page=2)

Anyway, here's what I did:

Download DINPUT8.DLL from here - http://www.dlldump.com/download-dll-files_new.php/dllfiles/D/dinput8.dll/5.03.2600.2180/download.html

Put this file in your Walking Dead installation dir (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead)

Play

I went back and turned off all the 'run as admin', XP SP3 compatibility mode, etc and it still ran fine.

I hope this also fixes controller support so I can run this from the Big Picture interface on steam, haven't tested that yet.
  • edited October 2012
    Found a fix for me on Windows 8 RTM (x64).

I have an xbox 360 wireless adapter and could not get the game to launch at all, even after unplugging it, changing compatibility mode to XP SP3, run as Administrator, etc.

Here's what worked for me as I found a clue for this in another thread on this forum (http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29796&page=2)

Anyway, here's what I did:

Download DINPUT8.DLL from here - http://www.dlldump.com/download-dll-files_new.php/dllfiles/D/dinput8.dll/5.03.2600.2180/download.html

Put this file in your Walking Dead installation dir (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead)

Play

I went back and turned off all the 'run as admin', XP SP3 compatibility mode, etc and it still ran fine.

I hope this also fixes controller support so I can run this from the Big Picture interface on steam, haven't tested that yet.

This indeed fixes controller support. thanks for this.
This discussion has been closed.