[WD] About to request refund if this game isn't working soon

edited April 2012 in Game Support
Just purchased Walking Dead on Steam and have now spent the last two hours trying to trouble shoot this launch issue. Same as everyone else, I click to launch the game screen goes black and then it states that walkingdead101.exe or whatever has stopped working.

I am running on Windows 7, 64-bit, 10gb ram, quad core processor with Nvidia GTX 570....if that helps at all.

:confused:

Comments

• edited April 2012
    I remember that issue popping up yesterday a bit. I also remember that rebooting the system fixed it for several users. Something to do with the DirectX install that the game completes on the initial run not "finalizing" until after a reboot, even though the user is never prompted to do one post-install.

Anyway, I received a key for the Steam version around 10:00PM EST last night. By 11 I was playing the game and not experiencing the issue you describe or any issues for that matter. Have you done a "verify integrity of game cache" through Steam? You can do this by clicking on Library in Steam, right-clicking the game, and selecting the option from the context menu that appears. This will assure that you have the latest and greatest as far as the game itself goes.

It may also be worth it to temporarily disable anti-virus or any other programs that utilize real-time file scanning as these may interfere with the game depending on their specific settings.

Do you have any of Telltales other games, particularly something more recent like Back to the Future or Jurassic Park? If so, it would be interesting to know if those games run or give you the same issue. Then at least you'd know if you were dealing with a problem specific to The Walking Dead or a general issue with the engine those games use.
  • edited April 2012
    Posting here won't help you. Try going to the support thread.
  • edited April 2012
    Just purchased Walking Dead on Steam and have now spent the last two hours trying to trouble shoot this launch issue. Same as everyone else, I click to launch the game screen goes black and then it states that walkingdead101.exe or whatever has stopped working.

The absolute last thing I wanted to do was pay some company $24.99 to troubleshoot their product for them for a few hours with no results.

Ridiculous.

I have limited time to game and wanted to log in and play for a bit, surely wasn't expecting this disaster from a title like this launched on Steam.

I am running on Windows 7, 64-bit, 10gb ram, quad core processor with Nvidia GTX 570....if that helps at all.

:confused:

Please see the links in my signature. Thanks.
  • edited April 2012
    Thanks for the assistance. For some crazy reason 10 minutes after I posted this I tried to launch the game again and it worked? Very weird as I did not change anything.

However, the game is working and I have been playing the last bit and am actually really enjoying it overall.

Anyway to customize the keymapping though? That is the biggest issue right now for me. The sound somewhat "chops" as well and occasionally the graphics which shouldn't really be happening as my computers specs are well beyond the recommended.

I don't use a game controller so I am finding the keybinds really awkward though, would love it if I could go in and change keys and movement to how I want. I normally use Q and E to strafe left and right not A and D. So that is really throwing me off. Then having to spam Q or E during certain moments to save my life is really awkward and got me killed once.

Some customization for the keymapping would be really grand. Hopefully the audio clipping and graphic glitching is also smoothed out in the coming patches and updates. Beyond that though this game has been really good so far and I only began. Just got to the barn so not far in I presume. Definitely startled me a few times. Great story so far also and I like the choices.

All in all, give me some key map customization and fix up the glitches and I can see this being a highly regarded title.
  • edited April 2012
    Wow...

Same thing. I closed the game after my last post as I had some errands to run.

Just got home and tried to log in and same error as before. Tried restarting computer and same thing. For some reason I can't get the game to work again? :confused:

My error every time when I launch again (same as before):
    Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: WalkingDead101.exe
    Application Version: 2012.4.23.11289
    Application Timestamp: 4f95e3ff
    Fault Module Name: StackHash_81dd
    Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.17725
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4ec49b8f
    Exception Code: c0000374
    Exception Offset: 000ce6c3
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 81dd
    Additional Information 2: 81ddecf633395aa3e1863f7bf906db51
    Additional Information 3: 039d
    Additional Information 4: 039d23c1f3a0f8840c07c3428337c5a7

Read our privacy statement online:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
    C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
  • edited April 2012
    Can't get the game to start again no matter what I do.

Restart after restart...going through all the steps I took over the course of two hours earlier that didn't work until it miraculously worked...

Now I can't get the game to work again no matter what I do. Any help?

Edit: Restarted computer, ran through a bunch of the steps again and right as I was about to give up oddly enough it launched properly. Due to the repeating of multiple steps and various troubleshooting efforts I can't seem to pinpoint what fixed it once again so I can't really give any advice to anybody having similar problems.

Nonetheless, it worked and I had finished Act 1 shortly after I posted. I was just now clearing out bookmarks and saw that I had not updated this thread and just in case google lands somebody here in the future I wanted to state that I did eventually get it working and that time I learned from my mistakes...I didn't shut it down and just played for 3 hours straight until I beat it.

GREAT GAME BY THE WAY! (when it works)
  • edited April 2012
    Well, I had the exact same problem as OP had, I tried everything everyone else suggested, but it was solved by just running it compability mode and choose Windows XP SP3.

After that it worked like a charm, so for me atleast it looks like a compability problem with Windows 7.
  • edited April 2012
    I had similar problems and I turned off my internet and poof - no more problem - game ran beautifully... Oh and it's great - don't give up!
This discussion has been closed.