Sam & max Episodes - Widescreen support?

edited December 2007 in Game Support
Hello,
I consider to buy the Sam & Max episodes. The demo was running on my Tablet PC (tanks for the tablet PC support, it's fun to crontrol an andventure with pen :)), but i can't play it on my PC (better Sound, performance), because my Screen resolution (1920x1200) is not supported by the game. The problem is not the native resolution (my video card can interpolate :eek: wee!), the problem is the aspect ratio of the screen. The game looks stretched on my screen, wich is ugly :( Will widescreen be supported in the boxed version of the games?

Comments

• edited May 2007
    I wouldn't count on it, but they might implement widescreen support for Season 2. They've been getting lots and lots of requests for it. Any official word on Season 1 boxed edition widescreen support Jake, ect.?
  • edited May 2007
    they didn't even confirm season 2 yet, right?^^
  • edited May 2007
    No, it is confirmed. :) They're already getting started on it, actually. They're not wasting any time with it.
  • edited May 2007
    +1 for widescreen support, 4:3 games look odd in 16:10! Especially when its a 1280x1024(ish) game running at 1680x1050!
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2007
    Apart from bug fixes and a little bit of very specific clean-up in a couple of tiny dusty corners, the versions on the disc will be almost identical to the download versions. We contemplated going back and shoehorning in higher quality voice, widescren, etc but after we looked back on everything, we realized it would be a surprisingly monumental task to retrofit that stuff into season 1. That said, expect many of those improvements out of the gate in future episodes.
  • edited June 2007
    surely you can simply input a 1920x1200 setting? No modification in the game is required... i tried to do this in the config file (*.prop file) but it was encrypted! whats the point in encrypting the config file??
  • edited June 2007
    That's not really the way it works :)
  • edited September 2007
    It'd be awesome if, as well as widescreen support, you could include the 1280x1024 resolution LCD monitors seem to be using these days. Just saves the pixels from being a little bit stretched. Not sure if the individual season one episodes have it, I got the British retail DVD version published by "JoWood" and it only had three resolutions.
  • edited September 2007
    1280x1024 is in season two, along with all manner of widescreen resolutions.
  • edited September 2007
    I managed to manually hack 1920x1200 into the config file, but the end result was not desirable: instead of stretching the video or giving more visible space on the sides, it displayed the video in the correct aspect ratio but CHOPPED the top and bottom of the screen off. So you can't use inventory or get to the main menu.

Otherwise it worked and looked nice, so it would only take some minor adjustments from them to make this work correctly.
  • edited September 2007
    I just said it was already in season two :(
    edited September 2007
    Sunfox wrote: »
    I managed to manually hack 1920x1200 into the config file, but the end result was not desirable: instead of stretching the video or giving more visible space on the sides, it displayed the video in the correct aspect ratio but CHOPPED the top and bottom of the screen off. So you can't use inventory or get to the main menu.

Otherwise it worked and looked nice, so it would only take some minor adjustments from them to make this work correctly.

That is the reason why we didn't support widescreen in season one.
  • edited September 2007
    Sunfox wrote: »

Look. Please don't try to tell developers how easy it is to do something with THEIR ENGINE. :rolleyes: You don't know.
    edited September 2007
    Also... it does work correctly now, in all future episodes :) So it's a moot point!
  • edited September 2007
    tabacco wrote: »
    1280x1024 is in season two, along with all manner of widescreen resolutions.

Okay, while we're on it... ;)

I'd like to see completely configurable DAR/PAR (display/pixel aspect ratio).

Why have even more strange options?!?!? :D
    --> I've got a Panasonic Plasma TV 42" and while CVBS/S-Video quality when connected to my notebook is very bad, the quality via the integrated VGA is great!
    But, the problem is, while this TV has a 16:9 screen, it accepts only 1024x768 and 1280x1024 (4:3 & 5:4 respectively) resolutions... :eek::mad:
    I don't know what the Panasonic guys were thinking... :confused:

But it would be great if I could define a 1024x768 resolution in S&M in the options menue, but tell it also to use a non-square pixel aspect ratio (PAR != 1:1), so that the image is "smashed" along the horizontal axis on a regular 1024x768 resolution. Kind of anamorphic recording in cinemas - just the other way. ;)
    So when the 16:9 TV is displaying the 4:3 image it is correct again.
    Understand?! :D
    Of course this stuff isn't supposed to be in the GUI, but in a config file.

Even if this sounds complicated, it's actually quite easy: Just scale along one axis only, a bit bi/trilinear filtering -> voilà! :D
    DAR = PAR x SAR, or PAR = DAR / SAR, so if I tell S&M to use 1024x768 (SAR - storage aspect ratio of 4:3), and would like 16:9 on my TV (which equals 1365x768 at same height), I have to use 4:3 PAR, meaning the information of one pixel is "smashed" into 75% on the x-axis (horizontal) while staying 100% on the y-axis (vertical). So a bit bilinear filtering is a must (but no problem with Direct3D/OpenGL while post-processing).

I played S&M on the big screen and it is fun, just that they look so fat... :o

This _should_ be handled by some driver feature, but I couldn't find anything on ForceWare and OmegaDrivers. :(
    There's also the possibility of writing a hook for d3d9.dll / opengl32.dll (for supporting older games), but this is a rather daunting task...
    In Quake you could change the FOV (field of view) via the console, to compensate for it, but still have the GUI stretched.

Yes, I know, a very "special" request...
    ...and I'm sure you'll ignore it, but at least I tried to heat this mother up... ;)

And to Panasonic, in the vile words of the Angry Nintendo Nerd: What were they thinking?!?!?!

Ah yes, BTW, if anybody had a similar problem and knows the solution, I would appreciate some answer. :)
    I couldn't find much help on the web, as searching for "16:9 4:3" stuff gives a zillion results for DVD stuff, which is completely unrelated.
    I could only find one guy on a german forum with the exactly same problem... :(
    edited September 2007
    Sadly we won't be offering configuration to that degree. :)... :(

You cant configure weird stuff like that in your PC's display card driver settings per resolution or something?
  • edited December 2007
    Jake wrote: »
    Sadly we won't be offering configuration to that degree. :)... :(

You cant configure weird stuff like that in your PC's display card driver settings per resolution or something?

but there a game that have that option, its Call of duty, cod 2 and cod4MW.
    COD in graphic option allow us to set whatever aspecratio on whatever resolution.
    1024x768 can be set as 16:10, so it will have correct AR on wide monitor.

i dont understand how they do that, but thats still possible, i think :confused:

oh, and for Widescreen problem
    if you use DVI LCD monitor or playing on widescreen notebook
    also have ATi Graphic card, you can set to "perserve wide aspec ratio", not "stretch to fit"

it then will display sam & max in 4:3 in 16:10 lcd, with black borer on right and left

i dont know wether NVIDIA also have this option.

btw, fun game ! ;)
This discussion has been closed.