What's with Max's voice in Episode 2?

edited March 2010 in Sam & Max
I just recently finished the first episode and loved it, so I decided to move on to Episode 2. The first thing I noticed is that Max's voice seems different. I then went back to episode 1 and noticed that his voice is much deeper and evil sounding in episode 2, rather than the more childlike voice he had before. Is it like this in all the episodes after the first one?

Comments

• edited May 2007
    Max's voice actor changed between episode 1 and 2. The latter VA is used throughout the remaining episodes.
  • edited May 2007
    Dang, I really liked the VA in the first episode. Oh well, I'll come to like it soon anyways.
  • edited May 2007
    Yeah, you get used to it quickly, and they're fairly similar. I might not have noticed the difference at all, if not for the fact that Episode 2 has him repeat so many lines from Episode 1 (mostly the comments on things in the office) which highlights the differences in their delivery.
  • edited May 2007
    Well they must be awful similar, because I didn't even notice this supposed voice actor switch. I always thought they were the same. I probably figured he had a cold or something even if I did notice it, so it must've been a very small difference.
  • edited May 2007
    Myes, I noticed the changes to some of Max's repeated lines, but thought it sounded like the same actor using different speech patterns. I didn't understand why they did that because I wasn't aware the actor had changed until now! I much preferred Max's "it's a surprise!" in Episode 1, but other than that, no bias towards either actor.
  • edited May 2007
    They changed the actos because the original one had something medical goin on. Although, l feel sad about the old actor and the things he is going through, l prefer the new va since seems to captures Max's htr and comic personality. It would not sound right if the old va of Max (in his high pitch and happy voice of his) say something along the lines, "You bastards!"
  • edited May 2007
    Yep, I didn't notice either.. wow we're unobservant.. ahahahaha
  • edited June 2007
    I noticed it the first time through. Replaying after being used to the second voice actor, I couldn't really tell the first was a different guy.
  • edited June 2007
    I liked the new voice actor better than the first one, he sounded a bit more "maxish".
  • edited February 2010
    I just jumped to Episode 2 and I was disappointed with Max's voice in episode 2. I immediately noticed that it was a new voice actor and I don't like it. I think Max's voice in Episode 1 was perfect.
  • edited February 2010
    I only noticed the difference when I watched the commentaries. Then when I heard his voice is 101 (I had played both seasons by then) I noticed it wasn't the same one.
  • edited February 2010
    I played 104 first, then played 101.
    I noticed the difference right away, I didn't really like the first guy, he sounded like Sam with a cold
  • edited February 2010
    Noticed it straight away meself. I didn't really mind about the change cos neither of the actors had really got into the character that well. If you compare the voice acting in Season one with Season two, season two's far far better. Not getting at season one or anything, but the actors know what they're doing in season two
  • edited February 2010
    Remolay wrote: »
    I played 104 first, then played 101.
    I noticed the difference right away, I didn't really like the first guy, he sounded like Sam with a cold

Ditto. The "New" Max sounds a lot more Max-y in my opinion, the other didn't seem to have the range of emotion that the "new guy" has. Granted I forgot it was a different VA when the final confrontation happens.
  • edited March 2010
    I just recently finished the first episode and loved it, so I decided to move on to Episode 2. The first thing I noticed is that Max's voice seems different. I then went back to episode 1 and noticed that his voice is much deeper and evil sounding in episode 2, rather than the more childlike voice he had before. Is it like this in all the episodes after the first one?

There is a comparison video on Youtube for you!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shLNdcJbMWs

The voice actor that does Max's voice in episode 1 does voices in other Telltale games including Bone and Tales of Monkey Island.
  • edited March 2010

The voice actor that does Max's voice in episode 1 does voices in other Telltale games including Bone and Tales of Monkey Island.
    This is VERY interesting to hear them back to back. I kept going back and forth over which one I liked more. They both have their moments.
  • edited March 2010

Thanks for plugging my video for me, I was about to do that myself. :D
  • edited March 2010

The voice actor that does Max's voice in episode 1 is the coolest guy in the world
  • edited March 2010
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    The voice actor that does Max's voice in episode 1 is the coolest guy in the world

I assume you've seen his work as Kid Beyond?
  • edited March 2010
    Pale Man wrote: »
    I assume you've seen his work as Kid Beyond?

Exactly. :D
Sign in to comment in this discussion.