[WD] Black textures

edited December 2012 in Game Support
Hi

Tried playing the game a little bit but im being bugged by alot of the textures (mainly hair, trees, grass etc) being a solid black square instead of transparent. This goes away when I set the gfx quality to low but this also changes all the icons and cursor black making them almost impossible to see. Tried changing other settings in my gfx card settings and also in game but to no avail.

Please advise.

Many Thanks

Comments

• edited April 2012
    Merce101 wrote: »
    Hi

Tried playing the game a little bit but im being bugged by alot of the textures (mainly hair, trees, grass etc) being a solid black square instead of transparent.

Having the same issue here, I'll attach an image of what it looks like. The stickied help post mentions black boxes occurring on ATI cards if anti-aliasing is set to forced-on, but my card is an Nvidia and has that option on "Application Controlled" anyway. As you said, putting it on Low GFX settings renders normally white text as black, making it impossible to see most of the time.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2012
    Instead of just lowering the overall graphics quality setting, have you tried tweaking some of the individual settings (anti-aliasing, shadow quality, texture quality) in different combinations?
  • edited April 2012
    puzzlebox wrote: »
    Instead of just lowering the overall graphics quality setting, have you tried tweaking some of the individual settings (anti-aliasing, shadow quality, texture quality) in different combinations?

Yeah, I've tried several combinations, but black boxes or voids appear around the game world either way, it seems to be anything with a transparency layer as far as I can see, things like trees, bushes, and hair. Looking around the forums, the issue shows up on many of Telltale's games, must be something with the engine itself.
  • edited April 2012
    Merce101 wrote: »
    Hi

Tried playing the game a little bit but im being bugged by alot of the textures (mainly hair, trees, grass etc) being a solid black square instead of transparent. This goes away when I set the gfx quality to low but this also changes all the icons and cursor black making them almost impossible to see. Tried changing other settings in my gfx card settings and also in game but to no avail.

Please advise.

Many Thanks

I'm having the exact same issues here. I've been trying all weekend to correct the problems, but nothing seems to have an affect. I've tried a lot of different settings both in-game and in the Nvidia control panel, but the only thing that really makes a difference is when I lower the graphics quality. That just trades one problem for another.

I finally gave up last night and decided to play through it and was able to finish the game without too much trouble. The only thing you have to watch out for are the QT events where you have to mash Q repeatedly, seeing as how you can't see the letter "Q" inside the diamond.

What are your system specs? I'd like to compare them to mine to see if it will help us narrow down a list of culprits. I'm pretty sure it's not the game itself, but a incompatibility issue.
  • edited April 2012
    H3xx wrote: »
    I'm having the exact same issues here. I've been trying all weekend to correct the problems, but nothing seems to have an affect. I've tried a lot of different settings both in-game and in the Nvidia control panel, but the only thing that really makes a difference is when I lower the graphics quality. That just trades one problem for another.

I finally gave up last night and decided to play through it and was able to finish the game without too much trouble. The only thing you have to watch out for are the QT events where you have to mash Q repeatedly, seeing as how you can't see the letter "Q" inside the diamond.

What are your system specs? I'd like to compare them to mine to see if it will help us narrow down a list of culprits. I'm pretty sure it's not the game itself, but a incompatibility issue.

I have the same problem. Do you have patch that will fix this graphic problem? It's really hard to play with the cursor's black and you can barely see it.
  • edited April 2012
    This can happen if you're forcing anti-aliasing in your video drivers. If you're sure that's not the case, please let me know what CPU/GPU you're using to play the game.
  • edited April 2012
    Mike wrote: »
    This can happen if you're forcing anti-aliasing in your video drivers. If you're sure that's not the case, please let me know what CPU/GPU you're using to play the game.

Yes, I'm positive it isn't due to the forced anti-aliasing or any other setting in the Nvidia CP. I've made sure of that by setting it to let the application control everything concerning graphics.
    I have previously posted my specs here. I hope you can help us. Thanks in advance!

P.S. One thing that has changed since I last posted my Dxdiag is that I am now using Windows 7 w/ DirectX 11.
  • edited April 2012

I'm using an Nvidia 7600GT. The game works pretty well except for the black textures. I check my settings and anti-aliasing is already set to application controlled as default. I think the game has graphics issue and needs to be fix.
  • edited May 2012
    I'm on 7950GT and Athlon x64 dual core - definitely application controlled AA.
  • edited May 2012
    All of those Nvidia cards are legacy devices with them and haven't had updated drivers in years. Unfortunately, there's very little we would be able to do to troubleshoot those issues. I imagine a more modern card running drivers from 2009 or earlier would be exhibiting the same issues. I definitely apologize for the inconvenience.
  • edited May 2012
    Hi Mike and the team,

I share the exact same problems and am running the same gear; 7950 GT, Athlon x64.

Here is an old Nvidia PDF.

It quotes: GeForce*7800*GTX/GT:*Transparency*antialiasing*does*not*work*with*Grand*Theft*
    Auto*San*Andreas.***
    The driver does not apply Transparency antialiasing to triangles that are alpha-blended.
    Applications with alpha blending do not benefit from Transparency antialiasing.

Would this help at all with some kind of troubleshoot?

Love the game, despite not being able to see through grass, and appreciate that you visibly put time and effort into frontline customer support.
    Thanks.
  • edited May 2012
    I experienced the same issue with the Nvidia 7950GT. Had a similar issue with Jurassic Park as well. Recently updated to the latest Nvidia drivers, and haven't had this issue with other modern games.
  • edited June 2012
    All of those Nvidia cards are legacy devices with them and haven't had updated drivers in years. Unfortunately, there's very little we would be able to do to troubleshoot those issues. I imagine a more modern card running drivers from 2009 or earlier would be exhibiting the same issues. I definitely apologize for the inconvenience.

That's just not true. I'm having this same issue. I'm using a GeForce 7950 GT. This card is still supported by Nvidia, and regularly gets driver updates. I'm currently running driver version 296.10, which was released March 13, 2012. I haven't had the chance to try out the 301.42 (5/22/2012) release yet, so I'll report after installing that, but I doubt it will do anything.

I had this same issue on Jurassic Park, but lowering the settings fixed it on that game. On this game, lowering the settings fixes some textures, but then others that worked perfectly fine on high quality suddenly are blacked out on low quality. I've played much more graphically intensive games (most recently Assassin's Creed Revelations) and they play without any graphical glitches (just slower frame rates due to the older hardware).

The only thing I can think is that you're not actually adhering to the DirectX 9 specs properly even though it says those cards are compatible.
  • edited June 2012
    morphinapg wrote: »
    That's just not true. I'm having this same issue. I'm using a GeForce 7950 GT. This card is still supported by Nvidia, and regularly gets driver updates. I'm currently running driver version 296.10, which was released March 13, 2012. I haven't had the chance to try out the 301.42 (5/22/2012) release yet, so I'll report after installing that, but I doubt it will do anything.

I had this same issue on Jurassic Park, but lowering the settings fixed it on that game. On this game, lowering the settings fixes some textures, but then others that worked perfectly fine on high quality suddenly are blacked out on low quality. I've played much more graphically intensive games (most recently Assassin's Creed Revelations) and they play without any graphical glitches (just slower frame rates due to the older hardware).

The only thing I can think is that you're not actually adhering to the DirectX 9 specs properly even though it says those cards are compatible.

Exactly. I have the same card and same issue. I have updated drivers from last month. Obviously, drivers are still being updated by NVidia for my hardware. I do not have these kinds of problems with any other games using the newest drivers.

It keeps me from playing the game, honestly. It's unfortunate, as I was looking forward to it.
  • edited June 2012
    I just bought a cheap ass GeForce 120 just to play this game.

You guys did it right. Best adventure game, ever!

Only downside is that I beat it in 1 day. Amazing game, though... can't wait for chapter 2.
  • edited July 2012
    I'm having this exact same issue with a 7900 GTX. It's really annoying since it can still run relatively modern games with decent visuals. I can't continue playing because the cursor blends into the background everywhere!
  • edited November 2012
    Look, you guys at Telltale are pretty good at handling the story. I like Walking Dead. Art is nicely stylized, story is good, characters are beliavable, and voicecast is fine.
    However ! I propose to castrate and subsequently shoot all your programmers. Idiots shouldnt multiply. Its 2012 and suddenly you cant make a frigging white cursor without some fancy shader work ? WTF ?? How am i supposed to play a game where you need to navigate a black cursor to a black hotspot on a mostly black background ? How can i make choises where i'm supposed to click something and i cant fucking see what to click ?? Thats so retarded i can hardly find words to describe how retarded that is ! And what, do you have a religion that specifically forbids you to make patches on PC ? Zeus, i just...to see a good game ruined by technical incompetence...
  • edited December 2012
    Is anyone even looking into this? I get the impression that this is simply, "so sad too bad but we got your money, so tough luck!"

If it helps anyone, my machine works fine, but my girlfriend, running a GeForce 7800GT has this issue.

For the record, the story is great. i just wish she could enjoy it along with me.
This discussion has been closed.