Is it fair for me to pay 40 dollars more for a room that is slightly larger?

edited May 2007 in General Chat
I know this topic is a bit unconventional as to my previous topics in the Yak room, however I am wondering about seomthing that is bothering me.

My question is paying for 40 dollars more for a room that is the same width, but two feet longer in length is fair? The new lease is comming up with a price increase and I am thinkin of readjusting the pice to make it fairer for me. right now, the rent is 984 but is divided in three ways: I play 368 per month for having the lagest room, my roommate(let's call him roommate A) is paying 328, and roommate B has the living room for 288 per month.

At the end of august, the rent will now be 1035.

Other things you should take in consideration before making a judgement are:

roommate a is not here for the spring quarter and summer despite paying.

I am not here during the weekends and the summer despite paying

Just that is it fair at the price of 984 per month for me to pay 40 dollars more if the room is not significantly larger? Should i readjust the price to make it 25 dollars more or 30 when the new lease comes?

The reason why it is split the way it is since my former, yet horrible roommate from the 2005 school year said that I should do a multiple of 40 when I do such a split. However, my former roommate was known to cut corners to save money for himself; it wasn't a 40:40+:40+ when I lived with him and anothe rperson last year. I paid 8 dollars more last time even though the rent didn't increase back then.

As for me thinking about it, I was talking to a friend in one of my classes about how much I pay more for the place I have when compared to roommate Aand he said it isn't fair unless there is a significant different between the two room. He said he had a place where a guy paid 40 extra, but had a larger room, as well as his personal bathroom. I don't have that.

So I am asking what is fair in adjusting price. Should I do the 40 40 increase, where I pay at least 80 dollars more than roommate c and 40 more than roommate b or adjust the price to make it a bit fairer for me?

Comments

• EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2007
    Ugh, this is why I'm glad I don't have roommates. :p

Have you talked to them about it? Frankly I think everyone should pay the same amount. When I lived in an apartment with roommates we split the rent equally, even though some rooms were significantly bigger. (Maybe I lucked out because I had the biggest room!)
  • edited May 2007
    Emily wrote: »
    Ugh, this is why I'm glad I don't have roommates. :p

Have you talked to them about it? Frankly I think everyone should pay the same amount. When I lived in an apartment with roommates we split the rent equally, even though some rooms were significantly bigger. (Maybe I lucked out because I had the biggest room!)

Not yet, but I will bring the question up in a few months from now when I give them the new price. I will make it more fairer to me. Just that having two extra 2 square feet doesn't seem to warrant the 40 dollar price increase. Seems like I am paying 20 bucks per square feet. I want to make it equal, but I think it will cause some chaos. I should have done that in the first place and not listen to my former roommate, who was a douche bag in scamming ppl money. Prior to my two current roommates, l lived with another person who was maniuplative and put guilt trips on me all the time so he can get a bargin. Therefore, I will probably make the price adjustment fairer for me; I will probably do a 25 and 50 dollar price increase for myself as oppose to the 40-80 one I currently have. Or maybe I would just leave the price I have alone when the new least comes to effect and let the split the new rent price, which will be 50 dollars more between the two other roommates.
  • edited May 2007
    Another suggestion based on my college experience sharing with two other people:

Everybody pays the same amount, but every 4 months everybody switches rooms. It might seem like a hassle, but it works. Everybody is forced to clean their room at least a couple of times during the year and it is something fun to do a couple of times a year to break up the monotony. If you have tons of stuff and electronic equipment it might not work so great, but it is something to consider.

Or - a different version of the same plan. One person pays a slightly higher rent to NOT switch rooms and the other two guys switch after 6 months.
  • edited May 2007
    Seems like my two roommates accepted sublease guy. Even though I have the most power over the apt, I really don't like power and vanquished it in deciding if sublease guy should move in or not. Just that it is VERY hard for me to believe that a 30-40 year person who was just hired by UC davis to do research have to bargin with poor college students for the price of rent for 300 for the smaller room during the summer. What is worse is that roommate A,B, and sublease guy suggest to do a division of two on the living room, making the rent for roommate b and sublease guy in the fall to pay somethin about 150 each while me and A will pay like 487 each. Sublease guy will move from the smaller room(rm A is commin back during the fall) and into the living room with roommate B for the fall. I have a bad feeling about this.

So, I apologize in advance if I start ranting here about my roommate woes in the future.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.