[WD]Just something I noticed that may or may not have problematic implications

edited May 2012 in Game Support
I had the Steam version originally installed (pre-order gift key) and then installed my TTG version. My (user)\My Documents\Telltale Games folder then had a GameData folder in it (with only the SyncFs folder and prefs.prop file in it) along with the The Walking Dead folder that contained my saves from the Steam version.

My TTG would not see the previous saves from Steam, even though it recognized I had the game installed, and I chose the "keepsaves and prefs" option during installation.

I disregarded (but not uninstalled) the Steam version and started a new game in TTG. Steam did not see saves from the TTG either, I checked after a save in TTG.

Later, I decided to uninstall the Steam version, preferring the TTG anyway.

I restarted TTG and my save game was not seen. Checked the My Docs folder and everything was as it had been.

I decided to start from scratch. Uninstalled everything and deleted all folders. Then reinstalled only the TTG version.

So far all is fine, and no extra GameData folder was placed in My Docs either.

I am wondering if the extra GameData folder had caused difficulties. I wish I had thought of it then, I might have tried just deleting the GameData folder to see what affect it had.

Anyway, just thought I would let you guys know about it :)

Comments

• edited April 2012
    I had the Steam version originally installed (pre-order gift key) and then installed my TTG version. My (user)\My Documents\Telltale Games folder then had a GameData folder in it (with only the SyncFs folder and prefs.prop file in it) along with the The Walking Dead folder that contained my saves from the Steam version.

My TTG would not see the previous saves from Steam, even though it recognized I had the game installed, and I chose the "keepsaves and prefs" option during installation.

I disregarded (but not uninstalled) the Steam version and started a new game in TTG. Steam did not see saves from the TTG either, I checked after a save in TTG.

Later, I decided to uninstall the Steam version, preferring the TTG anyway.

I restarted TTG and my save game was not seen. Checked the My Docs folder and everything was as it had been.

I decided to start from scratch. Uninstalled everything and deleted all folders. Then reinstalled only the TTG version.

So far all is fine, and no extra GameData folder was placed in My Docs either.

I am wondering if the extra GameData folder had caused difficulties. I wish I had thought of it then, I might have tried just deleting the GameData folder to see what affect it had.

Anyway, just thought I would let you guys know about it :)
    I removed the GameData folder and still have the same problem. Curious though what it does. I hope we can get a telltale employee on this ASAP!
    EDIT:Just checked the documents folder again. The GameData folder reappears after deletion when I play the game.
  • edited April 2012
    Gman5852 wrote: »
    I removed the GameData folder and still have the same problem. Curious though what it does. I hope we can get a telltale employee on this ASAP!
    EDIT:Just checked the documents folder again. The GameData folder reappears after deletion when I play the game.
    Hmmm. Interesting. Since the time I completely removed everything and only reinstalled the TTG version, I have had no problems. TTG says they should crosstalk and said all their office ones did it with no problems.
  • edited May 2012
    This problem is all to do with registry keys I am pretty sure.

When you install the game using the telltale installer (and steam should do the same on first run) then

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Telltale Games\WalkingDead101.exe should exist and should contain a subkey called SaveGameFolderName with value "The Walking Dead".

If all that exists then the game will save in

YOUR_HOME_FOLDER\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead

If any of that does not exist the game will save in

YOUR_HOME_FOLDER\Documents\Telltale Games\GameData

So if you are switching between steam and telltale installs its possible some uninstall has removed the keys or some reinstall has failed to add them. Uninstalling the steam version and reinstalling the telltale version seems confirmed to make the problem go away.

It should be possible to keep existing saves (either in GameData or The Walking Dead) by saving before the uninstall and then copying them back after the new install is done.
This discussion has been closed.