The Walking Dead won't run at ALL (exe "stopped working" error)

edited October 2012 in Game Support
I just bought the game yesterday ('Telltale build' for PC, nothing to do with "Steam", which I don't even have installed) and it refuses to run with the error "WalkingDead101.exe has stopped working".

I'm using Windows 7 64-bit, Intel Core i5 processor, 4GB RAM, ATI 3870 with 512MB memory. Video drivers up-to-date.

In response to another thread asking for troubleshooting information:

1) Windows Firewall never asks to allow/block the program. I manually allowed it. Didn't make a difference (same error). I manually BLOCKED it... no change, same error.

2) Avast Antivirus on or off made no difference.

3) Physically unplugging the internet made no difference.

Furthermore, I've so far tried:

Running the shortcut on desktop created.
Running the .exe directly.
Running the .exe as admin.
Running the .exe in Win98 and/or WinXP compatibility modes (as suggested in another thread).
Running the .exe with "disable desktop composition" checked (as suggested in another site).
Restarting the computer, then trying all the above again.

Every single time, the same result: black screen for a few seconds, then crash to desktop with error ".

When installing, I let it check DirectX... it said I was "up-to-date". Rebooted even though it didn't ask me to, just in case.

Key point here (to those who have 'fixed' this error): this is the Telltale PC version of the game, not the "Steam" one. Most folks here seem to be talking about the game as if it was on Steam (and thus I assume their "fixes" like disconnecting the internet, are related to that). Was I - buying from Telltale - supposed to get a Steam version as well when I bought this? Would that version at least WORK (providing the internet is disconnected)?

Is this related to some kind of DRM? Is it a problem of connecting to Telltale's servers (if so, that's a worry 'cos it means you can't play the game offline?!?!). Why not a "serial code" like Telltale's old games, which was a much better and fairer way to protect games and avoid problems like this? Heck, this is just a guess, but if it is the cause... ridiculous DRM is the reason I rarely buy PC games anymore.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask for a refund if this isn't patched/fixed soon, which is a shame because I'm not only a big Walking Dead fan (since the start of the comic), but a long-time fan of Telltale since the first episode of their first Sam & Max game. I've never had a problem like this with a Telltale game before; I can understand a game gets released with the occasional graphic glitch or bug that needs patching, but this game - for me - is not even loadable, let alone playable.

Do *any* owners of the Telltale (non-Steam) PC version of this game have the game actually working? Has anyone managed to fix this error for the non-Steam Telltale release?

Heck, I would have just bought this for my Xbox 360, but I'm in Australia, so we don't get that option sadly. :(

I hate to say, but I'm feeling majorly disappointed and angry here.

Comments

• edited May 2012
    Banjo-

You pretty much wrote everything that I've been saying, and have also been wanting to say, but outlined it perfectly.

I have tried everything you've listed as well. I was experiencing this with the standalone version 1st, and then tried the Steam version afterward. The Steam version was released early to customers who pre-ordered the game, since Telltale was having technical difficulties posting the standalone version on their site at first, and sent out an e-mail saying so.

I, too, have been a longtime fan of their games (and the Walking Dead comics/show), and have been able to run every one successfully up until this one. I have required an occasional workaround related to graphics in the past since I have the unrecommended Intel host video, but seeing as you and others have a compatible ATI (or NVidia) card, I am now hesitant to upgrade my video card, and will probably be requesting a refund soon as well.
  • edited May 2012
    That sux. It's odd that in 2012 a company that releases a game like this, with such a big franchise such as WD...they struggle with what should be fundamental design and code. It's almost as if this was coded by 1 or 2 people right out of college or something...or perhaps just as a pet project.

Reminds me all to much of the Magic: Tactics debacle from SOE.

Apparently, quality assurance is not a value or priority with some developers (and is what, IMO, sets them apart from the big boys).
  • edited May 2012
    Yes, as much as something like the thousands of little bugs in something like Fallout 3 (to give a "big company" example) are annoying, those are massive, massive games and the bugs are usually just minor problems that affect small parts of the game. I can see how they were missed (though it's ridiculous that fans find and 'patch' these often months before the devs!).

In this case, the entire game won't run. Period. Telltale's past games have all at least started... it's the sort of thing you NEED to get right. Do they have beta testers? I'd be happy to be one, if it helped prevent this sort of thing.

I wonder if Telltale - and this isn't meant disrespectfully - knew what they were getting into with a Walking Dead game? From what I've read, the game is good... but The Walking Dead has a HUGE fanbase. This is a very important title for them to get right (look at how many threads are on this board saying "this is my first Telltale game" or "never played point and click games before... what else should I buy?". The WD fanbase (especially mainstream now thanks to the TV show) is much larger than Monkey Island or Sam and Max, so doing things like ignoring Aussie fans and releasing a game that doesn't run on many people's computers either at all or unless you search a forum for help isn't a good thing.

Can I ask, Telltale, if the Steam version works (disconnected) where the standalone doesn't, are you going to offer it to all your customers who bought the standalone version (which I bought to better support Telltale and avoid Steam in the first place) so they can at least play what they purchased while you patch the standalone release's major bug? I don't want a free lunch, but I do expect to be able to play what I paid for and not have to spend money to troubleshoot a product.

I've scanned a few topics here and it's most worrying that there seems to be no offer of redress for those with this problem, no real suggestions to fix it (the "disconnect your internet" seems to only work for the Steam version) and not even any news except one "help us troubleshoot this".

Heck, I'd say "just refund me and I'll buy it on Xbox", but again... Australian. :(

Oh, and the most worrying part is: I normally buy the "full season" with Telltale, but a demo at least (if not the first ep available alone, like all other Telltale releases) would have alerted me to wait and not buy a game that doesn't run yet. With no way (no PC demo?!) to "try before you buy", I had to use my past trust of Telltale to blind buy the whole series... trust that sadly seems to have been a mistake.
  • edited May 2012
    Um, is there a place I should be posting a "support request" or ticket or something? Since there's no official replies here, I assume I'm missing the place to send an official support request for a non-working game? Where have others (since it seems I'm far from alone) been requesting help, patches, etc.?

I really don't want to have to go with a refund, but if I can't play the game I bought than I really can't just throw the money away. Heck, I'd much rather play the game, so if that means re-buying on "Steam" if that's the only PC version that works, so be it. But some kind of response would be nice, for paying customers who've supported Telltale for years.
  • edited May 2012
    I have the same problem on steam... I click to launch the game, screen goes black and then the exe error. I've tried launching it after unplugging my internet, I've tried rebooting, I've tried re-updating my files, I've checked them for accuracy and I've browsed this forum a hundred times to no avail. I just bought a full season of a game that I can't play and don't seem to be finding much help from the game makers here....
  • edited May 2012
    I honestly wish I was a "one off case", as this is clearly a bad deal for a lot of folks who bought this game. I too feel we're being ignored... just a "patch will be released on X date" would be a comfort, if it can't be fixed right now.

So, you're using the Steam version and the disconnect from internet trick isn't working for you? Seems only some with that can get it to run that way, then.

Is anyone using the non-Steam and got it working? Anyone at all?
  • edited May 2012
    Where can one find the executable when running steam? I can't find it under search...
  • edited May 2012
    Raktus wrote: »
    Where can one find the executable when running steam? I can't find it under search...
    Sorry, I haven't used Steam since 'Half-Life 2' swore me off it forever! :(

I'd assume you could find the .exe somewhere by searching for "WalkingDead101.exe" (presuming it's the same name), but if that's not working, I don't know what to suggest.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2012
    Banjo wrote: »
    Um, is there a place I should be posting a "support request" or ticket or something? Since there's no official replies here, I assume I'm missing the place to send an official support request for a non-working game? Where have others (since it seems I'm far from alone) been requesting help, patches, etc.?

The tech support email address is support@telltalegames.com. Official staff do check this forum, but not so much outside of US west coast office hours.

It sounds like you've already tried the fixes specified in this thread. Sorry I haven't any others to suggest right now.
  • edited May 2012
    Still no official reply?

I guess I'll email Telltale for a refund, then. :(
  • edited May 2012
    Banjo wrote: »
    Still no official reply?

I guess I'll email Telltale for a refund, then. :(

Sorry, I haven't responded because I don't have a fix outside of what I've already posted in the FAQ. Please keep in mind that this issue is affecting less than 1% of the userbase and we haven't been able to reproduce it at all internally. We are working on it, but I simply don't have any other fixes to suggest at this point. Anything I would throw out would be guesswork and wouldn't extend beyond general PC troubleshooting.

I definitely apologize for the frustration, and we are definitely working on a resolution here.
  • edited May 2012
    Hmm.. i'm also one of those 1% and agree with Banjo. Giving people a refund for a game which cannot be played would be more than just fair. To make it easier to proof that we haven't started the game at least one time, Game Developing Companies and Valve (as provider of the Steam Platform) should consider to insert a Feature to activate the game over the internet.

I notice a raise in buggy games which are distributed over Steam and this is not a good signal. Its even worse, if those games are not being fixed after a longer period of time.

Cheers, Boris
    Former QA Member of EA Phenomic
  • edited May 2012
    i don't think its the game stream or are PC when my error shows it says there was a problem with telltale and had to close so maybe it u all start there and see if its a problem in the programming of the game launcher and from what i have read there is a lot of telltale game that have the same problem i'm going to wait for a little while before i ask for a refund but its really aggravating that i have a game i payed for and cant play please message me if u come up with a solution until then i will just keep trying to see if i can do anything from this end and if i get it to work i will post it on hear
  • edited June 2012
    Bump.

Wow, really? STILL no new on this issue? No fix... not even any updates or posts more than a month-old ambiguous "we're working on it"?

Come on, this isn't right or fair for those of us who've paid for and want to play the game. I really don't want a refund, I just want my purchase to work, but this is getting pretty ridiculous now.

Telltale, what happened to you folks? You guys were so cool, helpful and customer-caring when I first found you at the time Sam & Max S1 came out. :(

Anyway, I'm pretty darn sure TWD bug is an issue with connecting to your servers and/or authenticating. I can run any tests you want me to run, but you have to communicate with me and your customers.
  • edited July 2012
    BUMPING to see if anyone at Telltale is even alive, much less working to fix this issue.

Episode two is out. Can't play it. Can't play episode one. Can't START the game.

I think I've been more than patient! This is frankly ridiculous.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2012
    I can't promise anything, but if you post your dxdiag info, i can look if there's something suspicious.

dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Open the file and press Ctrl+A followed by Ctrl+C to copy the contents, and paste them in a reply by pressing CTRL-V.
    Sometimes the Forums spam filter catches long posts like this. Don't worry, we can still see them and make them visible.
  • edited July 2012
    I have been able to play this, when I first purchased this, but have not been able to play it for over a month. With the same issue that have been mentioned here

DxDiag, information posted below

System Information
    Time of this report: 7/1/2012, 22:24:19
    Machine name: ROGER-MK2
    Operating System: Windows Developer Preview 64-bit (6.2, Build 8102) (8102.winmain_win8m3.110912-1733)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
    System Model: System Product Name
    BIOS: BIOS Date: 02/05/10 19:13:52 Ver: 08.00.10
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
    Memory: 8192MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 8174MB RAM
    Page File: 6202MB used, 6575MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.02.8102.0000 64bit Unicode

DxDiag Notes
    Display Tab 1: No problems found.
    Display Tab 2: No problems found.
    Sound Tab 1: The file ctaud2k.sys is not digitally signed, which means that it has not been tested by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL). You may be able to get a WHQL logo'd driver from the hardware manufacturer.
    Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
    Sound Tab 3: No problems found.
    Sound Tab 4: No problems found.
    Input Tab: No problems found.

DirectX Debug Levels
    Direct3D: 0/4 (retail)
    DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
    DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
    DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
    DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
    DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
    DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

Display Devices
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GT 520
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce GT 520
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Device Type: Full Device
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1040&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_A1
    Display Memory: 4050 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 978 MB
    Shared Memory: 3071 MB
    Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor Name: SyncMaster 940BW/199BW/941BW, SyncMaster Magic CX915BW(Digital)
    Monitor Model: SyncMaster
    Monitor Id: SAM0226
    Native Mode: 1440 x 900(p) (59.887Hz)
    Output Type: DVI
    Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
    Driver File Version: 9.18.0012.9617 (English)
    Driver Version: 9.18.12.9617
    DDI Version: 11
    Feature Levels: 11.0,10.1,10.0,9.3,9.2,9.1
    Driver Model: WDDM 1.2
    Graphics Preemption: DMA
    Compute Preemption: DMA
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Driver Date/Size: 3/5/2012 12:15:00, 17663808 bytes
    WHQL Logo'd: Yes
    WHQL Date Stamp:
    Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-5300-11CF-2146-0C201CC2C435}
    Vendor ID: 0x10DE
    Device ID: 0x1040
    SubSys ID: 0x00000000
    Revision ID: 0x00A1
    Driver Strong Name: oem18.inf:NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.2:Section021:9.18.12.9617:pci\ven_10de&dev_1040
    Rank Of Driver: 00E30003
    Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C ModeVC1_C ModeWMV9_C
    DXVA2 Modes: DXVA2_ModeMPEG2_IDCT DXVA2_ModeMPEG2_VLD DXVA2_ModeVC1_VLD DXVA2_ModeVC1_IDCT DXVA2_ModeWMV9_IDCT DXVA2_ModeH264_VLD_NoFGT
    Deinterlace Caps: {6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
    {F9F19DA5-3B09-4B2F-9D89-C64753E3EAAB}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY
    {5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY
    {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
    {6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
    {F9F19DA5-3B09-4B2F-9D89-C64753E3EAAB}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY
    {5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY
    {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
    {6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,0x32315659) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
    {F9F19DA5-3B09-4B2F-9D89-C64753E3EAAB}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,0x32315659) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY
    {5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,0x32315659) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY
    {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,0x32315659) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
    {6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
    {F9F19DA5-3B09-4B2F-9D89-C64753E3EAAB}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY
    {5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY
    {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
    {6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC1,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
    {F9F19DA5-3B09-4B2F-9D89-C64753E3EAAB}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC1,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
    {5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC1,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
    {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC1,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
    {6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC2,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
    {F9F19DA5-3B09-4B2F-9D89-C64753E3EAAB}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC2,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
    {5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC2,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
    {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC2,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
    {6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC3,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
    {F9F19DA5-3B09-4B2F-9D89-C64753E3EAAB}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC3,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
    {5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC3,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
    {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC3,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
    {6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC4,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
    {F9F19DA5-3B09-4B2F-9D89-C64753E3EAAB}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC4,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
    {5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC4,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
    {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC4,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
    {6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(S340,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
    {F9F19DA5-3B09-4B2F-9D89-C64753E3EAAB}: Format(In/Out)=(S340,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
    {5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(S340,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
    {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(S340,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
    {6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(S342,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
    {F9F19DA5-3B09-4B2F-9D89-C64753E3EAAB}: Format(In/Out)=(S342,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
    {5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(S342,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
    {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(S342,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
    D3D9 Overlay: Supported
    DXVA-HD: Supported
    DDraw Status: Enabled
    D3D Status: Enabled
    AGP Status: Enabled

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GT 520
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce GT 520
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Device Type: Full Device
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1040&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_A1
    Display Memory: 4050 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 978 MB
    Shared Memory: 3071 MB
    Current Mode: 1152 x 864 (32 bit) (85Hz)
    Monitor Name: Generic Non-PnP Monitor
    Monitor Model: unknown
    Monitor Id: HSL076D
    Native Mode: unknown
    Output Type: HD15
    Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
    Driver File Version: 9.18.0012.9617 (English)
    Driver Version: 9.18.12.9617
    DDI Version: 11
    Feature Levels: 11.0,10.1,10.0,9.3,9.2,9.1
    Driver Model: WDDM 1.2
    Graphics Preemption: DMA
    Compute Preemption: DMA
    Driver Date/Size: 3/5/2012 12:15:00, 17663808 bytes
    WHQL Date Stamp:
    Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-5300-11CF-2146-0C201CC2C435}
    Vendor ID: 0x10DE
    Device ID: 0x1040
    SubSys ID: 0x00000000
    Revision ID: 0x00A1
    Driver Strong Name: oem18.inf:NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.2:Section021:9.18.12.9617:pci\ven_10de&dev_1040
    Rank Of Driver: 00E30003
    Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C ModeVC1_C ModeWMV9_C
    DXVA2 Modes: DXVA2_ModeMPEG2_IDCT DXVA2_ModeMPEG2_VLD DXVA2_ModeVC1_VLD DXVA2_ModeVC1_IDCT DXVA2_ModeWMV9_IDCT DXVA2_ModeH264_VLD_NoFGT
    Deinterlace Caps: {6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
    {F9F19DA5-3B09-4B2F-9D89-C64753E3EAAB}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY
    {5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY
    {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
    {6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
    {F9F19DA5-3B09-4B2F-9D89-C64753E3EAAB}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY
    {5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY
    {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
    {6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,0x32315659) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
    {F9F19DA5-3B09-4B2F-9D89-C64753E3EAAB}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,0x32315659) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY
    {5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,0x32315659) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY
    {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,0x32315659) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
    {6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
    {F9F19DA5-3B09-4B2F-9D89-C64753E3EAAB}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY
    {5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY
    {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
    {6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC1,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
    {F9F19DA5-3B09-4B2F-9D89-C64753E3EAAB}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC1,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
    {5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC1,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
    {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC1,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
    {6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC2,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
    {F9F19DA5-3B09-4B2F-9D89-C64753E3EAAB}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC2,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
    {5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC2,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
    {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC2,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
    {6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC3,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
    {F9F19DA5-3B09-4B2F-9D89-C64753E3EAAB}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC3,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
    {5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC3,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
    {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC3,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
    {6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC4,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
    {F9F19DA5-3B09-4B2F-9D89-C64753E3EAAB}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC4,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
    {5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC4,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
    {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC4,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
    {6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(S340,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
    {F9F19DA5-3B09-4B2F-9D89-C64753E3EAAB}: Format(In/Out)=(S340,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
    {5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(S340,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
    {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(S340,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
    {6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(S342,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
    {F9F19DA5-3B09-4B2F-9D89-C64753E3EAAB}: Format(In/Out)=(S342,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
    {5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(S342,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
    {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(S342,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
    D3D9 Overlay: Supported
    DXVA-HD: Supported
    DDraw Status: Enabled
    D3D Status: Enabled
    AGP Status: Enabled

Sound Devices
    Description: Speakers (Creative SB Audigy 2 (WDM))
    Default Sound Playback: Yes
    Default Voice Playback: No
    Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0004&SUBSYS_10071102&REV_04
    Manufacturer ID: 1
    Product ID: 100
    Type: WDM
    Driver Name: ctaud2k.sys
    Driver Version: 6.00.0001.1377 (English)
    WHQL Logo'd: No
    Date and Size: 3/18/2010 20:50:52, 866264 bytes
    Other Files:
    Driver Provider: Creative
    HW Accel Level: Basic
    Cap Flags: 0xF1F
    Min/Max Sample Rate: 100, 200000
    Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 1, 0
    Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
    HW Memory: 0
    Voice Management: No
    EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No
    I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: No, No
    Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No

Description: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
    Default Sound Playback: No
    Default Voice Playback: Yes
    Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0887&SUBSYS_10438444&REV_1003
    Manufacturer ID: 1
    Product ID: 100
    Type: WDM
    Driver Name: RTKVHD64.sys
    Driver Version: 6.00.0001.6526 (English)
    Date and Size: 12/13/2011 19:27:30, 4718952 bytes
    Other Files:
    Driver Provider: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
    HW Accel Level: Basic
    Cap Flags: 0xF1F
    Min/Max Sample Rate: 100, 200000
    Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 1, 0
    Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
    HW Memory: 0
    Voice Management: No
    EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No
    I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: No, No
    Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No

Description: Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio)
    Default Sound Playback: No
    Default Voice Playba
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2012
    @Rotten ICE
    Might be a Windows 8 issue, but here's some stuff you can try:
    - Unplug the Xbox 360 Controller before you start the game
    - Disable your second display

If neither helps, you can try if setting Realtek HDA as default sound output gets it working.
  • edited July 2012
    Same issue as ice, but running a newer win 8 build (8250).

No a/v, no software firewall. tried all the solutions listed (multiple compatibility modes, windowed, admin, launching from steam and directly from the exe).

Game says preparing to launch then nothing. Event viewer lists a generic crash code, application error wit an event ID of 1000.

Faulting application name: WalkingDead101.exe, version: 2012.4.23.11289, time stamp: 0x4f95e3ff
    Faulting module name: DINPUT8.dll, version: 6.2.8250.0, time stamp: 0x4f3f3075
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x0001025f
    Faulting process id: 0xfa0
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cd58b7e3f14ceb
    Faulting application path: g:\steam\steamapps\common\the walking dead\WalkingDead101.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\DINPUT8.dll
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2012
    ploader wrote: »

You both have DINPUT8.dll related crashes.

Have you tried the game on Windows XP, Vista or 7 on the same computer?
  • edited July 2012
    DjNDB wrote: »
    You both have DINPUT8.dll related crashes.

Have you tried the game on Windows XP, Vista or 7 on the same computer?

unfortunately, my other computers are not up to snuff video card wise. just odd that we are both running across the same dll issue. i did try "updating" directx and replacing the dll. unfortunately win 8 is a bitch about replacing those files. i can't take ownership of them.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2012
    I just found someone who managed to run it on windows 8. You can try this.
  • edited July 2012
    no xbox controller.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2012
    ploader wrote: »
    no xbox controller.

I am out of reasonable ideas. I think your best chance is to install a supported windows version as mentioned above.
  • edited July 2012
    I've been having the same problem, I tried everything I have found on any website at all, even stuff that sounds ridiculous.
    I have deleted all my saved games, prepared to start over just for a chance to complete episode 2 at some point.
    But my game WAS working before, I did play episode 2 until I always got stuck in the barn.
    I couldn't leave, and I couldn't open the stall doors, because if I did I could no longer move or do anything.. just stood there. So every time that happened I would restart the game, and that happened a few times until the game stopped working completely.
    So. I reinstalled, and now it doesn't work at all.. and like I said, I've tried absolutely everything and I'm not sure what to do anymore..

Also, I tried creating a new account on my computer. Didn't work, either.

EDIT: I'm not using Steam, or Windows 8. I'm on Vista. It's all in Telltale.
  • edited July 2012
    DjNDB wrote: »
    @Rotten ICE
    Might be a Windows 8 issue, but here's some stuff you can try:
    - Unplug the Xbox 360 Controller before you start the game
    - Disable your second display

If neither helps, you can try if setting Realtek HDA as default sound output gets it working.

I have since updated to the newer build of windows 8, but still had the same issue. Tried with just the one screen, then I unplugged the Xbox remote and would you believe it up it Fired.

Thank you very much Dj

Do we think this could be a usb issue? external devices? Ploader do you have any other controllers or external devices in the USB's?
  • edited July 2012
    Just realised I am on Build 8400 Release Preview and am able to run it with no combatability mode set. (mentioned in the other thread)

Once I unplugged that 360 controller, everything now runs fine
  • edited July 2012
    Rotten ICE wrote: »
    Thank you very much Dj

Do we think this could be a usb issue? external devices? Ploader do you have any other controllers or external devices in the USB's?

Other than a mouse and kb? no other usb devices installed or running. from what i've read (which may or may not be correct :) ) the dinput8.dll is a dx call to a directx usb controller. still trying to figure out what it's trying to call, but that may take some time seeing as i'm time limited, not too smart, and my google-fu is only stating so much currently.

i do have an 8500 win 8 build that i could try to install.
    Rotten ICE wrote: »
    I, then I unplugged the Xbox remote and would you believe it up it Fired.

this falls in line with most of the info that i've dug up on the error. what i've found so far is that it typically happens when you are trying to run a game controller of some sort. if we were running windows 95, it wouldn't be so bad. the whole os runs something like 25mB iirc. go and look at your video card driver file size, much less how big DirectX has grown...
  • edited July 2012
    just finished installing the latest build of win 8 and....

same thing. absolutely fresh install, less than an hour old. loaded up new os, updated drivers, and nada. dammit ice, you had my hopes up! :D

Faulting application name: WalkingDead101.exe, version: 2012.4.23.11289, time stamp: 0x4f95e3ff
    Faulting module name: DINPUT8.dll, version: 6.2.8400.0, time stamp: 0x4fb71440
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x0000ff7f
    Faulting process id: 0x11f8
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cd5cb8c6b50e5b
    Faulting application path: f:\steam\steamapps\common\the walking dead\WalkingDead101.exe
  • edited July 2012
    sorry for the triple post, but i finally got it working.

i recently fired up RBR after not playing for a while. this game has issues with the menu's not responding at all or correctly (this was on vista/7/8). the fix? hit your device manager, and go to the HID section. it'd get wonky w/ the generic usb drivers installed. with the DINPUT8.dll failures and a fresh install i figured f*>k it...

right now on my fresh install the only devices listed are all generics. i started at the top and worked my way down. i had about 12 things listed as "usb input device". disabled one at a time, and then checked to make sure i still had basic functionality aka click "disable"... mouse still work? cool. keyboard still work? awe fudge! *fixed* try the next. just work your way through.

for my original win 8 install when i had the problem, i had the logitech drivers installed for my mx518, g25, and no drivers installed for my saitek eclipse keyboard or cyborg 3d joy.

fresh install (no drivers whatsoever for usb devices installed) still did not work until i started disabling the generic usb devices and got down it to two installed generics (kb/mouse) and it fired up.

i'll update this as i reinstall drivers for my gear, and sorry for the word fort. i just need to go play FINALLY. :guybrush:
  • edited July 2012
    Ok i had the same problems, pulling my hair out because telltale haven't given an adequate solution

after reading the above post, I unplugged my Xbox controller from usb

boom
  • edited July 2012
    Running the Windows 8 preview and receiving the D8INPUT.DLL error as well.

Please point your developers to this thread regarding proper implementation of Xbox 360 controller support: http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29352

Unplugging the Xbox 360 controller allows the game to run, but I can't use the controller to play. You may consider it a nitpicky issue for the PC version, but when using a TV in the living room to play, breaking out a keyboard and mouse is a pain. Windows 8 is less than 4 months way. You need to fix this.
  • edited July 2012
    I have managed to get the game running on Windows 8 64-bit with full Xbox 360 controller support.

I copied the D8INPUT.DLL from a 32-bit Windows 7 machine (C:\Windows\System32\d8input.dll) into the root install directory for The Walking Dead (for the Steam version, this will be something like "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\the walking dead").

I know this isn't what this thread was originally started for, but it's the first thing that comes up for a Google search of Walking Dead and D8INPUT.DLL errors. Hopefully this will help others.
  • edited September 2012
  • edited September 2012
    UGHHHHHH This is happening to me also :| I have Window's XP, I downloaded steam to see if it would work if I played through there. No such luck! Also I'm not even receiving an error message, my game goes to launch the black page and then immediately cuts out.
  • edited October 2012
    detwelve wrote: »
    I have managed to get the game running on Windows 8 64-bit with full Xbox 360 controller support.

I copied the D8INPUT.DLL from a 32-bit Windows 7 machine (C:\Windows\System32\d8input.dll) into the root install directory for The Walking Dead (for the Steam version, this will be something like "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\the walking dead").

I know this isn't what this thread was originally started for, but it's the first thing that comes up for a Google search of Walking Dead and D8INPUT.DLL errors. Hopefully this will help others.

you sir are a lifesaver...now to figure out how to get it to recognize my saves...
  • edited October 2012
    Same problem. Tried all of the suggested solutions. When I click play, or run the .exe, there's a few seconds pause, then I get the crash error, "telltale games has encountered a problem and needs to close". Game worked perfectly fine before Steam "converted it to a more efficient format". This is not a problem on my end, and if it's not fixed ill be forced to request a refund.
This discussion has been closed.