[WD] Bug with Save Game Location

edited May 2012 in Game Support
Hello

I have recently reformatted my PC and don't normally need to reinstall Telltale games - just running the exe makes it reauthenticate with Telltale and starts my game.

WalkingDead works the same way for me but something strange happened - the game starting saving games in

USER_HOME\Documents\Telltale Games

instead of

USER_HOME\Documents\Telltale Games\WalkingDead

Reinstalling using the installer seemed to fix this, but I suspect it should work the same way as other Telltale games and not require this.

Just FYI!

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited May 2012
    The installer creates some registry keys, which are later used by the game.

There is a key named "SaveGameFolderName" with the value "The Walking Dead" which saves the name of the save game folder. If that's missing, the game creates a Folder named "GameData" instead, next time it is started.
    It also does not create the other missing registry values.

What you could try the next time is exporting/importing the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Telltale Games" registry keys.
    There can be side effects though, since some values might be system specific.

Therefore, the proper way is always reinstalling the game.
  • edited May 2012
    No offense intended, but thats a bit weird!

Clearly the game knows that it should be saving in the Documents\Telltale Games folder on Windows systems. If the registry key is missing then that is just where it saves - so the walking dead save files go straight into the Documents\Telltale Games folder.

I dont see why you would choose to hardcode the Documents\Telltale Games folder and not "The Walking Dead" as well.

I also just confirmed that no such problems do exist for the Monkey Island games.

I fully understand this is not supported stuff, but it seems a strange way to code registry paths to me.

Whats more, I would wager that this thread

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29525

is facing similar problems because of the dual steam/telltale installs probably not cleaning up a registry key.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited May 2012
    I could only speculate why TTG chose to store the subdirectory only, but that would not be helpful. I just looked into that to analyze what's going on with your backed up games.

Other recently released games, e.g. Jurassic Park and Law & Order, have the registry key as well. It seems to be something that came with the new Launcher/Downloader.

The Steam/Telltale save game issue could be some kind of interaction that occurs on some systems under certain circumstances. It didn't happen to me though.
This discussion has been closed.