Sam & Max Ep1 - Continual Drive Activity on Vista

edited June 2007 in Game Support
Just purchased Episode 1 and running on a 1.6 Ghz celeron laptop, 0.5 gig RAM, Windows Home Vista Basic - yeah, I know, not the greatest specs in the world but supposedly OK for the game.

The demo ran fine so I bought the full game, but as soon as I leave the office at the start of the game, the game crucifies the machine with continual drive activity, taking about 2 minutes to get to the point where Sam & Max are in the street. The game is then totally unplayable and hammers the machine so much, it has taken me on all three occasions that I've tried it, around 5 - 10 minutes even to get to the Task Manager to kill the process.

I have 30+ Gig free on the hard drive and the machine is only 3 weeks old so it can't be suffering from chronic drive fragmentation or anything like that.

Any ideas?

Coop

Comments

• jmmjmm
    edited June 2007
    There are issues with Ep 1 and Vista.

Try updating your drivers and disabling DEP, if that doesn't work:
    Emily wrote: »
    There will be a new Vista-friendly version of episode 1, but at this point it's looking like it won't be until after Season 1 wraps. Sorry. :( There are only so many of us, and although I thought we'd be able to get these fixes out quickly, it turns out I was wrong.

In the meantime there is a version of the game that we have been sending to press, which is Vista-compatible. If you want to use this until the "real" Vista-friendly version is ready, just send an email over to support@telltalegames.com requesting it and I will send you the download instructions.
  • RyanRyan Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2007
    Culture Shock does not activate properly under Vista, the computer's hardware fingerprint changes every time you reboot the machine, essentially deactivating the game. This is not a problem in episodes 2-6, and we will be releasing a Vista compatible version soon. The DVD will also be an alternative, when it comes out....info on the DVD here: www.telltalegames.com/store/samandmax-season1-disc
This discussion has been closed.