Big Jump in Vistors

edited June 2007 in General Chat
Woah, I think Sam & Max being released on Steam really increased the traffic!!! We have 3x... No, more like 6x... As many guests on the forums right now then we usually have! :eek:

Edit - Wait... Now the guest count just dropped to almost nothing? There were just 220 guests? : /

Comments

• edited June 2007
    You're right, but they're not guests. Click on "currently active users" and you'll see that most of these guests go by such illustrious names as MSNBot Spider and Yahoo! Slurp Spider. Still, there do seem to be a lot more spiders than usual.
  • edited June 2007
    Wierd! What in the world is going on? :/ ... The only thing I could think that is causing that would be that someone made a trojan virus that attacks the board with search engine bots. But that would be really unlikely...
  • edited June 2007
    Well, I'm not pretty sure but I think these Spiders function is retrieve data from the forums to provide their respective search engines more accurate and complete results...

See ya.
  • edited June 2007
    Yup, nothing dangerous; we've been getting dozens of instances of these spiders for a long time now, maybe even for as long as I've been here. Usually there's only around 60 instances in total though.
  • edited June 2007
    Spiders are actually good to have, since they archive.
  • edited June 2007
    They also keep the fly population at an ebb.
  • edited June 2007
    and all our glorious posts end up in google!
  • edited June 2007
    I think it is a conspiracy! Those are 220 government eyes beading down on us, watching our every post, archiving our every word...

Bosco agrees. Still, I do think a study of new members per month or week in relation to major game related events would be quite interesting. TT, do you have any data on new members who had joined the forums at specific times. Like I joined after hearing the announcement of the new series (although I do not know how long after the original announcement I started hearing things).
  • edited June 2007
    I think it all makes sense. Releasing the game on Steam resulted in blogs and news posts linking to Telltale's site, more links mean more activity for search engines, which leads to more search engine bots, or at least a brief surge of them.
  • edited June 2007
    Hero1 wrote: »
    and all our glorious posts end up in google!

Look ma! I'm on google!

The closest to anything statistically I could think of is Google Trends.

http://www.google.com/trends?q=Telltale+games

Whoa! Telltale is popular with London.

Edit: I forgot alexa!
    http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details?url=telltalegames.com
Sign in to comment in this discussion.