Running Sam And Max on my laptop

edited August 2008 in Game Support
Hi,
Im thinking of putting the episodes onto my laptop, but i was just wondering whether you could tell me if my laptop will play them.

My Specs are
Pentium Dual-Core 1.7GHz
1GB RAM
Intel 945GM Express Chipset With 224MB Memory and Pixel Shader 2.0 Support
Realtek High Definition Audio

I am able to play games like F.E.A.R and Half Life 2 on medium settings, but i just thought i'd ask first.

Thanks

Comments

• edited June 2007
    That video card might be a problem, see the faq. As always, the best way to know for sure would be to try the demo first.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2007
    What Harald said.

Try one of the longer demos (like Abe Lincoln Must Die) because sometimes graphics problems only occur in certain locations. (Also it's not clear to me if you aleady bought the episodes or not -- if you did, then there's no harm in trying them on your laptop, but be aware that the video you have is not supported.)
  • edited June 2007
    Emily wrote: »

(Also it's not clear to me if you aleady bought the episodes or not -- if you did, then there's no harm in trying them on your laptop, but be aware that the video you have is not supported.)

Yeah, i already have all the episodes on my Desktop Machine, I just wanted them on there for when i wasnt at home ;)

When you say the chipset is not supported, do you mean that it hasn't been tested?
    Also
    I read a while ago that you were bringing out new versions of certain episodes which had memory leaks, if they are out, how do i get hold of them?
    edited June 2007
    When you say the chipset is not supported, do you mean that it hasn't been tested?

No, it means that it has been tested and we know it doesn't work -- at least not well -- because it doesn't have the required capabilities for 3D graphics. So if you try it and it sort of works, we're not going to be able to help with that. ;)

The updated versions of the episodes aren't available yet, but we are working on them right now. There are three versions of each episode (the one sold in the store, the demo version, and the one that goes out to Season 1 customers) and all of them need to be rebuilt and QA tested -- that's a lot of work! But we're going as fast as we can. :D When they are ready, you'll just need to redownload from the Find My Order page to get them.
  • edited June 2007
    the store versions aren't the same as the season 1 customer version? why not? :confused:
  • edited June 2007
    The games aren't actually different, but we have to make different builds for each release, usually for branding stuff.
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, there is no difference from the customer's perspective.
  • edited June 2007
    Yeah, it would run it fine... That is if you had a different video card. : / But you already know that now. :p That is one bizzare video card, if I don't say so myself.
  • edited June 2007
    AdamG wrote: »
    That is one bizzare video card, if I don't say so myself.

Yeah it is, :).
    It does run F.E.A.R and Half Life 2 on meduim settings, which made me laugh. :D
  • edited August 2008
    Sorry for reviving an old thread but as someone who has now completed S&M episodes 1 through 5 with an Intel 945GM laptop, I thought maybe I could share my experiences:

I first played through the demo (Episode 4) with only one crash. Loving the demo and assuming this crash was a fluke, I bought the entire 1st season with confidence.

All the episodes I have played through have crashed 2 or 3 times during the game. When I resume the game from the last save, I can then move much further into the game. They seems random and I'm not sure that there is anyway to prevent them. Crashes aren't frequent but they are 'hard' requiring a system reboot.

Every single crash is a 'pixel shader' error which I presume means that this is likely an issue with Pixel Shader 2.0 compatibility in all 950 GMA cards.

I'm going to finish the last (6th) episode in windowed mode since I haven't had a crash (yet) in windowed mode. If this works out, I'll probably pick up S&M Season 2 soon, but it's certainly possible that any engine tweaks between Seasons 1 and 2 could exacerbate the problem.

It's a shame because the game(s) play smooth and without any trouble otherwise. It's also as shame that the demo couldn't pinpoint this issue very well. Depite being a longer episode, it only crashed once for me.
This discussion has been closed.