TWD: Problem with saved files?

edited October 2012 in Game Support
Is anyone else having this problem, I had three saved files when I began chapter two, I first started on my No.1 chapter where I had saved Carly, but when i actually ran the game it had Doug as my person I had saved, confused but too eager to play the game i went along with it, and completed chapter two with what the game programmed me with, But now going back and trying to play my other saved files it simply refuses to work, if I click play on chapter two it brings me right to the end, but if I try to play my other save files It does not load and just gives me a black screen?, anyone else had this problem?

Comments

• edited June 2012
    This is the screen I get when i try to load other saves, I can still move mouse but nothing happens
  • edited June 2012
    I got this same 'progress skip' error. I finished Episode 2 in save-slot #1, then today I loaded save-slot #2 which I know for absolute certain was only at the end of Episode 1. When it loaded, it came up with the ending scene of Episode *2*.

It got worse. I went into save-slot #2, and tried to rewind back to a point in Episode 1. The game wouldn't load, I got the same screen that Banditbenn posted, the program stopped doing anything (CPU and memory usage went to near-idle levels and just hanged there). I had to shut down the program, and when I went back in, ALL my saves are in Episode 1! So my main save has been reverted as well.

I wonder if this has anything to do with me trying to copy save-slot #1 to save-slot #3 yesterday, while it was still on episode 1. But, I think everything was still fine at that point, since I was able to play through the end-scene of episode 1 and the entirety of episode 2 with no problems on save-slot #1.
  • edited June 2012
    I am having this problem.
    In save slot 1 I saved Doug and completed Episode 2.
    So I decided to load up Save Slot 3 where I saved Carley and see how the episode would play out...
    It just loaded the end scene of episode 2 with Doug in the background...
    So I deleted Save Slot 1 and tried again with Save Slot 3... Same thing happened with Doug.
    I went back to the main menu and Save Slot 3 was missing with Save Slot 1 still there...

This is unacceptable.
  • edited June 2012
    In the PS3 version, I am having a problem with the Larry and Kenny dispute. During the argument, I sided with Kenny using the option "STOP! (Help Kenny)" where Lee yells at Larry not to touch Duck. Yet when I finished the episode, it states that I sided with Larry rather than Kenny. There must be some bugs across all platforms with the choice options carrying over. If anyone has any advice, that would help.
  • edited June 2012
    all mine got deleted somehow
  • edited June 2012
    TTG Fix your damn game.
    You make us wait an extra month for this episode and now we can't play other Save games to make other choices?

Awful developer.
    Poor communication and poor quality release.
  • edited July 2012
    Why does there seem to be no recognition from Telltale that there are game breaking bugs? at least acknowledge that you are working on fixes for issues like these because currently it seems you're just sat there happily taking people's money and ignoring the many problems.
  • edited July 2012
    My old ones were missing, still there in the user file but the game does not recognize them. Gave up fixing and started over, finished the first and 2nd game. Didn't like how something went so I'll go back to the 1st episodes and change something and play it again. Game got buggy on the rewind and when I restarted the game the saves were again gone. When this happens you also lose all your preferences on video ect. So you really need to fix this, its dead in the water till you do.

if its important I purchased and play the game via Steam
  • edited July 2012
    and I STILL cannot play Episode 2 on any other save slot.
    Fix it.
    Fit it.
    Fix it.
  • edited July 2012
    In the PS3 version, I am having a problem with the Larry and Kenny dispute. During the argument, I sided with Kenny using the option "STOP! (Help Kenny)" where Lee yells at Larry not to touch Duck. Yet when I finished the episode, it states that I sided with Larry rather than Kenny. There must be some bugs across all platforms with the choice options carrying over. If anyone has any advice, that would help.

I sided with Kenny in episode 1, but got tons of hostility from him from the very beginning of ep 2. I probably would have had a split with his crazy butt anyway but I think it is exasperated by him saying I tried to kill his daffy Duck son.

Have you gotten any response.
  • edited July 2012
    After i downloaded episode 2 it said i hadn't finished episode 1 and when i continued episode 1 i was half way through it. I was so confused i just erased episode 1 and started again, when i finished ep 1 it said i saved duck when i saved shawn. I just decided to go on with ep 2 with this but still TTG you delayed this a month and it screws up like this, come on.
  • edited August 2012
    I just have 3 blank save slots where my fully played saves used to be. I don't want to start another one just yet.. are they gone for good?
  • edited August 2012
    Just great... I've bought and played damn near every Telltale Game since Sam & Max 1, Ignored the delays and the bugs and whatnot and now, just as I go to finish up Ep 3 of Walking Dead my save file is gone and I have to restart from Ep. 1. I thought the whole point of not rushing the releases was to prevent mistakes like this. All my choices are gone, I was doing my 1st playthrough with no going back and fixing mistakes/bad choices and now I don't get to play the story I've invested months in. I hope you guys read this and know you've REALLY disappointed a loyal customer. I don't know if I'll even bother replaying it now.
  • edited August 2012
    indeed i have a problem with my saved files. They are gone..
  • edited August 2012
    Same... so pumped for episode 3 only for it to loads with all saves missing. Some official support on this problem would be nice..
  • edited August 2012
    I'm also having this problem, my only save file is gone. Really, really frustrating, tried to fix it with no success... I really really hope I don't have to replay the whole thing (I would, though, just for the sake of playing episode 3 =/)
  • edited August 2012
    Deja vu. I posted in this thread two months ago. No response.

Now I'm back, after having experienced the same problem, except this time there's no caveats about having tried to copy (within the game, mind you) the save. I didn't do anything to it, all I tried to do was finish episode 2, try to start episode 3, had it fail, and then when I came back into the game, my first save is reverted to episode 1 and the others are empty.

Well, they just took my afternoon from me with nothing to show for it, except having to sit through the same unskippable dialogue and drawn-out sequences yet again.

But I still have all evening to let all my friends, acquaintences, and strangers know that this game will frustrate the hell out of them if they buy it.
  • edited September 2012
    My xbox saves are completely wiped out and now it won't even save anymore. I tried deleting everything and re-downloading but it just doesn't work anymore. All three saves just gone and every time I restart it it doesn't want to save.
  • edited September 2012
    After finishing Episode 3, knowing I have a month or two to kill, I decided to go back to slot 1 and rewind to the beginning and make some other choices. However, now my games won't save. I will play through most of Episode 1 and when I try to quit--or even go to the menu and look at options, it just keeps replaying the opening "The game adapts to the choices you make" disclaimer, and I'm back in the opening scene. I've now spent two evenings trying to make progress but no matter what I do, when I navigate out of the game (even just going to "Settings"), it relaunches the opening.

Have I now broken the game? Are there any patches or fixes for recovering old save games? I'm surprised to read here on this forum that this appears to be a known issue that may or may not ever be resolved. It seems like a basic "must-fix" type issue.
  • edited September 2012
    Hey Frantoll,

Sorry to see that you have fallen into this trap as many of us have. After repeated cries to the Telltalers, it seems that no fix is coming soon. There was a post over a month ago from a Telltale Rep stating "It IS a very small number of people that it's happening to, which made reproducing the issue internally difficult and time-consuming." I'm guessing that the Walking Dead Game was never finished and tested before they released it and now, instead of fixing technical problems with the game, they are rushing to code the next episode. ANYWAY...

I found a way to play the game without the crashing and loss of saved games, but you will have to ditch any games you have saved until this point (I did and I had 3 saves: Good Lee, Bad Lee and Indifferent Lee). This has only been tried for the PC (not through Steam either):

1. Erase any content related to the Walking Dead Game... Start from Scratch.

2. Download the game from your account... You must be signed in and then in the upper right you will see the joystick with "Your Games" tab. Download the first episode ONLY.

3. Play the episode, but under NO circumstances Alt Tab out of the game. When you want to Exit, hit escape and then go to Main Menu (click ok that unsaved progress will be lost) and then Exit Game from Main Menu (I'm not 100% sure you have to go to the Main Menu instead of just Exiting the game, but I haven't even attempted that).

4. When you reach the end of Episode 1, let the credits play out and then, from the main menu click play game (this is your first save) and (this seems important): Download the next episode from within the game itself. I think this puts all the game data together, whereas if you download it separately and then install it from the download (even if you choose the Walking Dead folder to install it to) the saves become corrupted.

Remember to follow step 3 whenever you want to exit the game and when you hit the end of Episode 2 follow step 4 and let it download through the game itself.

I have replayed all of my saves through the end of episode 3 and don't have one corrupted (yet).

I know this is a biotch, but it is the only way I have been able to get all my saves to work. Hope it works for others who are willing to start from scratch,
  • edited September 2012
    I just decided to delete it all and wait, in the hopes that later releases will fix these problems. Wish I could try that fix, but unfortunately I go through Steam.
  • edited September 2012
    Just curious... How many people have their STEAM folder, or TWD folder on another Hard Drive compared to C: that are having this problem?
    I'm thinking maybe there's a correlation between The saves in My Documents on the C: drive with the game on another HDD, and there's a link somewhere between the two.
  • edited September 2012
    I have had to play through the first chapter two times already, and each time I've gotten to the point where they are are in the store and are trying to break into the medicine closet. Each time I've had to interrupt game play around that point, and for some unknown reason my game doesn't remember my progress and I must start over from the beginning. Doing the same thing (most of the first chapter) over and over without any way to speed the process up is taxing.
  • edited September 2012
    I had this same problem, too. I emailed Telltale and they told me to reinstall the game. While it's a bit of a pain waiting for the content to re-download, it worked like a charm.

I'm assuming that you have the PC version.
  • edited September 2012
    Alright not sure if someone posted this but I had the same problem where all my saves didnt show up. I went in to the my documents folder for telltale and found that there were two folders with saves. One said The Walking Dead the other just said Gamedata. Turns out all my old saves were in the the walking dead one. I moved all the files in that folder to the Gamedata one, after I did this all my saves were back and I could continue from where I left off.

Hopefully this will help someone, I have the PC version non steam, I dont know if steam puts the saves somewhere else.
  • edited September 2012
    decided to replay a bit so i copied my file 2 game to file 3 then used rewind to go back half way through episode 2. Got to the end and it returned to the title screen, when i tried to continue the file 3 game to play episode 3, the whole thing reset back to episode 1, annoying bugs..
  • edited September 2012
    Zethos wrote: »
    Alright not sure if someone posted this but I had the same problem where all my saves didnt show up. I went in to the my documents folder for telltale and found that there were two folders with saves. One said The Walking Dead the other just said Gamedata. Turns out all my old saves were in the the walking dead one. I moved all the files in that folder to the Gamedata one, after I did this all my saves were back and I could continue from where I left off.

Hopefully this will help someone, I have the PC version non steam, I dont know if steam puts the saves somewhere else.

Zethos,

Thanks so much. I had the same exact problem. I purchased it on Telltale but had to initially install on Steam. When I downloaded episode three, I noticed about a day later, Steam was installing updates to the Walking Dead even though it was no longer installed. That's when all my saves went missing. I checked the Telltale folder under "My Documents" and did what you said and it seems to have worked. Thanks a bunch!
  • edited October 2012
    That is exactly what I came on this forum to look up. I went and tried to download a screen recorder to record me playing TWD but then I tried to get on it (I wasn't using the screen recorder at this point) and then it was freezing at the loading screen and not responding. I finally got it to work by uninstalling and reinstalling, making sure to click the option that kept my games saved for when I re-installed it. BUT NOW MY SAVED GAME IS ALL GONE AND I WAS UP TO EPISODE 3! Please someone help me!!?? I don't want to start all over :(
  • edited October 2012
    The xbox is also having problems. :( I was able to play my initial playthrough without any hiccups, but when I went to load up my evil Lee playthrough it kept saying I'd already beaten episode 4 even though I was selecting a different saved game. This also occured when I went into my good Lee save file. And, when I looked at the stats for my evil Lee & my good Lee they were the same stats as my initial playthrough file. I would like to playthrough on my other saved files without screwing with my initial playthrough since it's my gut reaction save.
    I hope Telltale decides to take a look into this issue. If not, I'll be waiting for the retail release if they decide to do a season 2. I love this game, but this sort of stuff is unacceptable.
  • edited October 2012
    I have the xbox version and my glitch is a little different, no matter which save slot I choose it always loads up the 2nd save slots choices. I didn't notice till I finished ep4 and saw that my original save (slot 1) was still at Episode 3 and my second save slot was at episode 4. Each time I tried to load up my first slot it would bring me back to the 2nd slots choices.. I tried copying slot 1 into slot 2 but now all the choices I made are wrong. I think I'm gonna have to start from scratch on slot 2, *sigh* luckily I remember all my original choices.
  • edited October 2012
    No advice for you, unfortunately; just wanted to mention that it does this with the PC, too. It randomized my decisions from Ep1 at the beginning of Ep2, and randomized them again from Ep2 at the beginning of Ep3. It may have carried over something from 3 to 4, but by that time I had realized these choice issues were essentially irrelevant, and even when they 'mattered', the developers were doing silly things like making four words to Kenny more important than four episodes worth of behavior towards him. It's preposterous.

Just enjoy this pleasant little point and click adventure with it's occasional dose of twitch gaming and its engaging narrative, and forget all the silly hype.
This discussion has been closed.