[TWD] wrong folder for DLC on PC

edited July 2012 in Game Support
I'm using the Telltale version, not the one from Steam.

After downloading Episode 2 (there were many disconnects and incorrect display of percentage) I noticed, that the data is not installed in the program folder of the game, but in 'my documents'.

I use different hard drive partitions for the OS and programs. That's why I don't have too much free space on that volume (about 5 to 6 GB).

So I tried moving the content of the data folder in '<my documents>\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\SyncFs' to '<TWD program folder\GameData\Pack>' and it worked perfectly well while I was offline.

But as soon as I got online and launched the game, the download of the 101 patch and the whole 102 episode started again.

How can I set up the game to anytime use the program folder for program data and 'my documents' folder only for save games and settings?

If that would not be possible, at the end of the season we would have about 500 MB used for the program folder and 4 GB in the save folder.

Just before posting this thread I had another idea to solve the problem and it worked. But it it's just a workaround and may need a bit experience with computers. I created a junction from the save folder to the program folder.

I still think TWD should work like this without the need of that workaround. Would be nice to get it as native behavior.

Thanks,
DeLarge

Comments

• edited July 2012
    DeLarge wrote: »
    I'm using the Telltale version, not the one from Steam.

After downloading Episode 2 (there were many disconnects and incorrect display of percentage) I noticed, that the data is not installed in the program folder of the game, but in 'my documents'.

I use different hard drive partitions for the OS and programs. That's why I don't have too much free space on that volume (about 5 to 6 GB).

So I tried moving the content of the data folder in '<my documents>\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\SyncFs' to '<TWD program folder\GameData\Pack>' and it worked perfectly well while I was offline.

But as soon as I got online and launched the game, the download of the 101 patch and the whole 102 episode started again.

How can I set up the game to anytime use the program folder for program data and 'my documents' folder only for save games and settings?

If that would not be possible, at the end of the season we would have about 500 MB used for the program folder and 4 GB in the save folder.

Just before posting this thread I had another idea to solve the problem and it worked. But it it's just a workaround and may need a bit experience with computers. I created a junction from the save folder to the program folder.

I still think TWD should work like this without the need of that workaround. Would be nice to get it as native behavior.

Thanks,
    DeLarge

Found that annoying, too (same problems with a small system partition). But there is a really simple workaround. Just right click the "my documents" folder and then enter a new target. Move the whole folder to your other harddrive.

Now not only the game but also all of your documets stored in "my documents" will be on the other hard drive. Future elements of TWD maybe stored there, too. When you have played enough of TWD you can change it back easily by right click "my documents" and clich "restore". All files will be moved where they where before.
  • edited July 2012
    This is exactly what's causing the issues on my end as 'solved' for me in my other thread by juggling the props.pref file around. Sure hope they will reorganise this as i'm affraid to juggle five of those files around come ep5..

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30896
This discussion has been closed.