Episode 2 not showing as installed.

VocVoc
edited July 2012 in Game Support
So The Walking Dead Episode 2 "Starved For Help" was released yesterday Friday June 29th, 2012, downloaded the update on Steam, went to play the game and the episode was still locked out as 'Coming Soon'.

Tried restarting Steam and the game, same message.

Tried restarting my computer, Steam and the game. Same message.

Uninstalled the entire game, redownloaded it off Steam, restarted everything, same message that the episode was still 'coming soon'.

None of the technical support advice Steam listed for the game works, and I haven't been able to find a fix on the Steam support forums, so I'm trying here.

Comments

• VocVoc
    edited June 2012
    I'm bumping this in the hope that it gets seen and someone can help with it.
  • edited June 2012
    The same thing is happening to me.

I downloaded the update after which Chapter 2 was nowhere to be found. It's still in "Coming Soon" status.

I had already been in touch with Steam support about another game I'd downloaded that's "ready to play" but won't let me play it. I did everything they suggested and it only resulted in my losing access to my Steam account altogether and hence, to my games. I only have two; the one I wrote to them about and The Walking Dead.

I don't even care about the first one anymore. But I'd really like to play the rest of The Walking Dead.

I wrote to them again about my lack of access to my account and game library. Nothing they told me to do worked.

I finally managed to regain access on my own by undoing everything they'd told me to do. The next time I started the Steam client, what I thought was Chapter 2 of the Walking Dead downloaded automatically. If it wasn't Chapter 2, I don't know what it was. It took about 20 minutes to download.

After it completed, I had no Chapter 2. Steam has told me to come here for help.

This is the worst digital download experience I've ever had. Once I get the Walking Dead problems resolved one way or other -- even if it means giving up Episodes 2-5 -- I'm finished with Steam. They're just too much of a mess to try to deal with.

I'm hoping someone can help both me and Voc. There has to be a way to unlock Episode 2 that doesn't involve breaking something else. Thanks.
  • edited July 2012
    As no one has responded, I thought I'd list everything I've tried so far to get TWD Episode 2.

Deleted all files in my Steam folder except the \steamapps\ folder and Steam.exe, rebooted and launched Steam.exe.
    Nothing changed.

Verified game cache files.
    Nothing changed.

Was told all Windows updates must be current (I'm running WinXP SP3). They already were.

Ran MSINFO32 to send to Steam but was unable to save the report. Made four attempts; the save froze each time at different points. As I was unable to do what they wanted me to do, I wrote back and said I'd just have to accept that I'd never get Episodes 2-5.

They sent another email telling me to manually run the secondary installer required by TWD:
    ...\Steamapps\common\the walking dead\DirectX\DXSETUP.exe. I did so.
    Nothing changed.

At that point, Steam sent me here.

Today, I received another email from Steam telling me to rename Steam/steamapps, launch Steam and reinstall TWD. I did so.
    Nothing changed.

I don't understand why I was able to install and play Episode 1 without any problems and I've had nothing but problems trying to install Episode 2.

Yoo-hoo...Telltale...will you please help?
  • VocVoc
    edited July 2012
    This is another bump, since the problem is STILL unresolved.
  • edited July 2012
    Experiencing the same issue. SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP
  • edited July 2012
    I'm sorry to say this, but it's a truly bad reflection on Telltale not to have at least acknowledged a serious problem that's now being experienced by three people. Instead, they've left this thread languishing for eleven days and have provided no help whatsoever.

I can only surmise that they simply don't care. If Steam can't help and Telltale won't, where does this leave us? With a Season Pass that's good for only one episode instead of five, that's where.

I'm really disappointed in Telltale for choosing to act like this. If there's any recourse at this point, I sure don't know what it is.
  • VocVoc
    edited July 2012
    Agreed, this will be my first and last Telltale Games product.
  • edited July 2012
    Same problem here. Just says "coming soon", won't unlock it.

Please help us out here Telltale.

EDIT: This actually seems to be more of a usability error. I just found out that you can start the 2nd episode no problem by clicking my save game and then clicking the right arrow which leads to the episode 2 option. Then it start the game just fine.
  • edited July 2012
    Well, this dashes any hope I had for a fast resolution to my similar problem.

Why have a game support forum if you are not going to give any support?

How do I get my money back for a game that I can't play?

This may be my last purchase via steam as well. At least I can return a game I purchase from Best Buy!
  • VocVoc
    edited July 2012
    Still need support for this issue.
  • edited July 2012
    Can one of you provide a screenshot of the Episode Status screen in your current installation, please?

Also, how big is the Steam folder the game is installed to?
  • edited July 2012
    Guys unfortunately I don't have the answers either, but I can tell you there are huge problems with the Mac version too. I wouldn't hold my breath for a solution though. Tell Tale has skirted the Mac issue and tried to pretend that it is not their fault...always commenting that some people are having issues and talking about the success of their game. In reality there are loads of people unable to play...I wouldn't call that a success.

Please don't let this experience reflect on Steam though. Steam is a great service that I have had very few problems with. Tell Tale is the one to blame. Late releases, no information, no customer service and no refunds? WTF? I would advise you to do like me and cut your losses and never give them money in the future. They are a "mom and pop" store with Walmart customer service. (Horrible in case you're wondering)
  • edited July 2012
    Guys unfortunately I don't have the answers either, but I can tell you there are huge problems with the Mac version too. I wouldn't hold my breath for a solution though. Tell Tale has skirted the Mac issue and tried to pretend that it is not their fault...always commenting that some people are having issues and talking about the success of their game. In reality there are loads of people unable to play...I wouldn't call that a success.

Please don't let this experience reflect on Steam though. Steam is a great service that I have had very few problems with. Tell Tale is the one to blame. Late releases, no information, no customer service and no refunds? WTF? I would advise you to do like me and cut your losses and never give them money in the future. They are a "mom and pop" store with Walmart customer service. (Horrible in case you're wondering)

100% correct.

It's hilarious how Telltale never address their issues or failures but constantly promote their successes. The reality is they have a litany of ripped off customers and appear to be doing nothing to remedy the situation.
  • edited July 2012
    My Episode 2 shows as Installed but i can't launch it. The Menu only shows my Episode 1. This is a purchase directly from Telltale. Their support team has not responded to my emails. Please help me.
  • edited July 2012
    Mike wrote: »
    Can one of you provide a screenshot of the Episode Status screen in your current installation, please?

Also, how big is the Steam folder the game is installed to?

lFd2H.jpg

Local files are listed as 450MB. The actual game folder in the steam folder in the program files is listed as 1.4gb.
  • edited July 2012
    FruitPlatter, what are your system specs? There's pretty severe graphical issues in that screen.

For any of you still experiencing this, please send me a PM with your Steam ID so I can look into it. If you're not sure how to find your ID, the URL below will walk you through it.

http://www.steamcalculator.com/faq.php?id=2#id-2
  • edited July 2012
    Mike, I've just PMed you with the info as well as some details about what I've experienced so far. Thanks...
This discussion has been closed.