TWD: "The story is tailored by your decisions", Right?

edited August 2012 in Game Support
NO

Steam version (pre-ordered season pass). Saved chick in episode 1, Doug still alive in episode 2 + some other decisions seem to be "replaced" by diagonally opposite. Like Clem telling me that I said her parents aren't coming back (which I didn't), and so on.

What a heck, TTG? First you say that you will release episode a month and it was a lie. And now you managed to screw the key feature of this game (story making). Just look at all troubleshooting threads, with next to no replies from the devs.

GG

P.S
I'm mostly pissed coz I can't ease my zombie game hunger - other decent zombie survival games I play (DayZ, Project Zomboid) are in alpha - and thus I have to deal with the bugs. I hoped so much for new episode, thought that extra month will be used for polishing and bugfixing.
Now this game, which isn't in alpha, has its root feature bugged. Cmon, ppl. Did you even playtest your own product?

P.P.S
Waiting for patch (although didn't find any info about any). Solutions posted on these forums didn't work.

Comments

• edited June 2012
    my pc version on steam worked fine

i used save slot one which was a legit untouched fresh save no messing around with file relocations..

so methinks you found a bug or you install is messed up.
  • edited June 2012
    my pc version on steam worked fine

i used save slot one which was a legit untouched fresh save no messing around with file relocations..

so methinks you found a bug or you install is messed up.

Mine it was wrecked too.

It's a bug in the main menu. I hope Telltale fix that soon.

The game itself works fine. Fail at start (start like if it not found the previous savegame), the stats (no-name and 50% at all stats) and the Coming Soon button don't disappear.
  • edited June 2012
    Same here.

Saving Carly and a few other decisions are reverted by the game.

This is f***ing anoying, considering the best (and, to be honest, only) thing this game does, is involving you in a story twisted by your decisions...
  • edited June 2012
    Everything seems fine with mine as far as I can remember, lol
    people I saved are correct.

In fact they even fixed some...
    In my "silent treatment" of ep1, I did not save anyone in the farm or protect duck in the drug store.
    but the end result says I chose duck in the farm.

which I think they didn't think it through that anyone would choose neither...

but in ep2, they "fix" it (i think)
    & said I didn't help Duck "Twice" woo, lol

like they are now taking into consideration of the "silent treatment" approach,
    maybe because they see people like me doing this playthrough or who knows, lol

anyway,

the only reason I think it happened the way u describe is, u didn't continue from ur save game file. (big if, not sure if u did use ur savegame or not)

by not doing so, I believe it'll give u a default or random choices for the Ep1.
    Same goes with Mass Effect if u don't transfer ur character...
    they'll just give u default choices of the previous part.

That's the only explanation I can think of besides there's a problem with ur game itself, be it the programming or ur installation...

In SW:KotOR, the way they handle it is u describing what happened in the previous parts, during the game within dialogs, since ur playing a different character (not transfer old character)
    :)
  • edited June 2012
    I wished this "if" was true...

I continued from my savegame (multiple times), even replayed the last chapter of Ep1, still bugged.

In fact, it got worse, but I allready postet that in the bug-thread...
  • edited June 2012
    The Kenny bug as I like to call it, is definitely there. I've played through three times now, each time (regardless of choice) Kenny is pissed at me because I apparently didn't care about his son. It's a major deterrent, feels painful to have Kenny hate me due to some stupid bug when I originally thought he'd be a great friend.
  • edited June 2012
    So just finished Episode 2 and i had the save bug as well.

I played through Episode 1 a month ago and saved Carly in the end.

Then now when i wanted to start Episode 2, my save-game was nonexistant... all 3 savefiles had the "New Game" text... even while my saved game files were in the correct folder... the game simply just disregarded my progress.

Since i didn't want to start it all over again, i just pressed play on Episode 2, which i'm not sure if i was just really lucky with, but all the decisions i made were the same way i choose, except that instead of Carly, Doug was alive.
    It was annoying somewhat, since i choose Carly, but the other choices were the same, so it's better than nothing.

I think the devs just didn't work out the Carly storyline, so they made it intentional that you have to continue with Doug... or at least i think so.

My stats are also missing from Episode 1 now, like if i would've not played it at all... sigh..
  • edited June 2012
    Westyboy wrote: »
    The Kenny bug as I like to call it, is definitely there. I've played through three times now, each time (regardless of choice) Kenny is pissed at me because I apparently didn't care about his son. It's a major deterrent, feels painful to have Kenny hate me due to some stupid bug when I originally thought he'd be a great friend.

It's not a bug, it's a game design failure. The game REALLY uses the choice at purpose where you told to Kenny that he should reasoning with Larry as "you didn't defend Duck and you wanted to throw out from the drugstore". Don't care what you chose after that.

To me, it's more relevant the answer you give after that but Telltale devs didn't make that way.
  • edited June 2012
    The_Ripper wrote: »
    It's not a bug, it's a game design failure. The game REALLY uses the choice at purpose where you told to Kenny that he should reasoning with Larry as "you didn't defend Duck and you wanted to throw out from the drugstore". Don't care what you chose after that.

To me, it's more relevant the answer you give after that but Telltale devs didn't make that way.

Yeah, that has to be telltale's worst move yet on this game.

I lucked out and haven't gotten any of these bugs, but I do want to say Clem knows her parents aren't coming back regardless, she said she already knew that on my save and at this point is just pretending they will come.
  • edited June 2012
    Rallige wrote: »
    NO

Steam version (pre-ordered season pass). Saved chick in episode 1, Doug still alive in episode 2 + some other decisions seem to be "replaced" by diagonally opposite. Like Clem telling me that I said her parents aren't coming back (which I didn't), and so on.

What a heck, TTG? First you say that you will release episode a month and it was a lie. And now you managed to screw the key feature of this game (story making). Just look at all troubleshooting threads, with next to no replies from the devs.

GG

P.S
    I'm mostly pissed coz I can't ease my zombie game hunger - other decent zombie survival games I play (DayZ, Project Zomboid) are in alpha - and thus I have to deal with the bugs. I hoped so much for new episode, thought that extra month will be used for polishing and bugfixing.
    Now this game, which isn't in alpha, has its root feature bugged. Cmon, ppl. Did you even playtest your own product?

P.P.S
    Waiting for patch (although didn't find any info about any). Solutions posted on these forums didn't work.

There's a bug with this publish where previous decisions didn't come through. I saved Doug on my play through, but Carley was in my episode. I exited, and restarted, and it was back on track.

But, yeah.. sounds like you had the bug.
  • edited June 2012
    http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30898

thats my rage page, I had quite the same bugs as it seems you did, only my saved games was deleted somehow, and now it seems like episode are unable to be played...
  • edited July 2012
    There's a bug with this publish where previous decisions didn't come through. I saved Doug on my play through, but Carley was in my episode. I exited, and restarted, and it was back on track.

But, yeah.. sounds like you had the bug.

How did you restarted? I press "play" in savegame menu after selecting my only one savegame, then I select second chapter and press "play/continue" (don't remember), and bullshit begins.

EP1 was brilliant, and Im sure that EP2 is even better. But I can't enjoy it. I saved chick, FFS, not some fat computer nerd.
  • edited July 2012
    My one worked out fine.

I think it helps to watch all they way through the credits, as that is where the last chapter (I.E., the moter in consoling at the end of ep.1) is saved, and not after the stats which I think is kind of derpy.

I got lucky i guess, but it must mess up the system if you start ep 2 without a 100% complete file
  • edited July 2012

Ummm.. I replayes thr game and sided wih larry at every possible stop selcting to kick larrys ass in the dialogue you reference. The result? In episode 2 larry still tells me I wasn't there for his son at the drug store. Wth.

This game is as good as vaporware to me if it isn't patched soon. Already thinking of how I might go about request a partial refund. The game is not fun when the choices you make have no bearing on the story when it is clearly supposed to.
  • edited July 2012
    Ummm.. I replayes thr game and sided wih larry at every possible stop selcting to kick larrys ass in the dialogue you reference. The result? In episode 2 larry still tells me I wasn't there for his son at the drug store. Wth.

This game is as good as vaporware to me if it isn't patched soon. Already thinking of how I might go about request a partial refund. The game is not fun when the choices you make have no bearing on the story when it is clearly supposed to.

Did you have reviewed the "previously on TWD..."? Mine remarked that I said to Kenny to reason with Larry. Then playing Episode 2 Kenny said that I didn't defend Duck. The Episode 1 stats said that too.

In my case I know there's not a bug.

Review that and check the choices you made on Episode 1 appears on the "previously" thing on Episode 2. :)
  • edited July 2012

Ripper is right, Telltale honestly marked "reason with him" as siding with Larry.
    Take a look at this video and you'll see "We reason with him" as "Side with Larry".
  • edited July 2012
    I have noticed a few odd comments that go against things I have said or so it seems but otherwise the story and previews are tailored to my game still. What Im wondering is, are those 5 decisions in the Stats the only ones that change the story?
  • edited July 2012
    Ok, going through this bit by bit...
    just trying to see if I got it all clear.

PS: I'm assuming everyone here r using PCs?
    If not, than its a console issue...
    seems to be common for some console games with their savegames

Fenchurch wrote: »
    Same here.
    Saving Carly and a few other decisions are reverted by the game...

I'm doing 2 playthroughs, normal & silent.
    Both of them I saved Carley & she's still here & Doug isn't
    My friend saved Doug & he's with her & not Carley

If there's a bug, it ain't effecting everyone...

have u moved ur steam folder somewhere else after playing the 1st episode?
    I did once, before installing TWD... because I want steam to install them on another HD instead of the one I accidently installed it to the first round.

if no, can't think of any other reason other than poor installation or random bug problem
    It's a bug in the main menu. I hope Telltale fix that soon.

The game itself works fine. Fail at start (start like if it not found the previous savegame), the stats (no-name and 50% at all stats) and the Coming Soon button don't disappear.

The problem described above (move of folder) sounds to fit this problem perfectly, but something tells me u didn't move ur folder...
    Rallige wrote: »
    Like Clem telling me that I said her parents aren't coming back (which I didn't), and so on.

First you say that you will release episode a month.
    - Clem seems to say right on both my playthroughs

- Eh? oh nvrmnd thought the game came out on May...
    personally like another thread said, I'm glad they didn't but only if they're doing what we "thought" they're doing.
    & that is checking out what the community r saying about ep 1 & are readjusting ep 2 to cover everything they are aware off from the community.
    Which in my case & some other people, seem to be working well...

Ok, final guess, assuming ur all using PCs.

When did u install ur Episode 2?
    I installed at the end of the month 30th June...
    I hear people got the game sooner.

So maybe they already patched it & u have to uninstall urs & reinstall it...

This is another big "If" / "maybe"

other than that, I have no clue why its working fine for some people & not for others...
  • edited July 2012
    I have noticed a few odd comments that go against things I have said or so it seems but otherwise the story and previews are tailored to my game still. What Im wondering is, are those 5 decisions in the Stats the only ones that change the story?

No. The game saves everything you've said/done for the developers to use. I actually had my decision to say "Manure" instead of "Shit" at the barn scene of episode 1 come into play for me.
  • edited July 2012

dun think so...

saving duck for example the stat was refering to the farm event.

In my silent treatment playthrough, I even didn't help protect duck in the drug store when Larry wants to kill the kid.

In Ep 2, Kenny told me I abandoned him twice... (even though the ep1 stats said I chose to save Duck which I didn't)
    so they did consider the event in the drug store

In other words, they may have realised people are doing what I'm doing & fixed that problem that the results from ep 1 weren't picking up on & make it so that ep 2 realises we did indeed left duck to his fate twice.
  • edited July 2012
    This umm... product is bugged to hell. I just loaded my only one save game and "continued" ep.1 - had a talk with every1 in final location. Chick is alive, Doug isn't.

Then I watch "Coming in ep2" promo and whole credits. Then I'm kicked to the screen with TWD logo and "click to continue" option (one before main menu).

Then I load my only savegame and carry on to ep2. I have no option to rewind it (even though I already passed that leg chopping part), only to play or exit. So I press "play" only to see how Lee's group is returning, carrying a wounded kid. Doug is alive. wtf.

Then I delete my only savegame in corresponding menu section and restart game. My savegame is still there. I load it - Ep1 completed with right stats. Starting ep2. Now it shows me "Previously in TWD" - second time after I first launched it. "Previously in very bugged game" shows choices I never made, and don't reflect ep1 stats.

This is a massive fail. I never did anything wrong on my side.

History of downloading ep2:

June 29 : I read the news and decide to complete Ep1 in a fresh save game (never installed TWD on this machine), and actually do so, with choices, that correctly reflect in stats. Then I go on to Ep2 and see "coming soon" label.

After what I close game and steam starts downloading smth for TWD. I assumed it was Ep2, and was right. Tried to play it... and you know the rest.

Never moved any steam folders/played with savegame files.

WTF? I think I should ask for refund or what? Product isn't working and nobody from TTG team seems to give a... manure (get it?)
  • edited July 2012
    Everything's working fine for me. Start messing with your savegame files, guys, see what happens.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2012
    For some of you the warxsnake fix might help to restore your choices.
  • edited July 2012
    Ok I found 1 bug, lol

in my silent treatment, previously on bla bla bla

He said "Watch out???"
    I didn't say that, lol
    :D
  • edited August 2012
    I have to necro this thread coz TTG did the same thing. I lost my previous saves (steam edition, season pass) when new ep showed up. What the heck? First they break they word about new episode every month, next they can't even utilize that extra time to fix game-breaking bugs.

I am very disappointed. I participate in multiple beta tests, and know what? Those beta products are way more bugless than this mess. I don't have another 20 hours to re-do ep1 and ep2.
  • edited August 2012
    Same thing happened to me. I bought the steam edition, season pass today, played through episode 1, I even let the credits roll all the way down. I where directed to the menu, picked play, choose my saved game (the only one) and started episode 2. I didn't even exit the game!

Kenny is as pissed as he should be, Clementines dialogue also make sense (I think), but Carley is gone and Doug is alive. Not that I have anything against Doug, but this shouldn't happen, right?

Edit: the warxsnake fix fixed it for me as well, thanks
This discussion has been closed.