Top 3 Games You'd Love to See Remade

RyanRyan Telltale Alumni
edited November 2007 in General Chat
This doesn't have to be a loaded question...but why not let loose and give an ear-full...or and eye-full...or whatever voice you hear in your head when you read full.

What i mean by remake is: keep the storyline and characters of that specific game and installment (which game in the series such as Mario "2"), keep the same core elements and identifying characteristics of game play, keep the same major musical pieces, just apply those things to the new medium and expand on those things immensely. A good example would be the Metal Gear Series.

Mine are:

1. Splatterhouse (turbo Grafix 16)

2. Castlevania 2 (NES)

3. E.V.O. (SNES)

Comments

• edited June 2007
    1. Covert Action
    2. Crusader: No Remorse
    3. Chaos Overlords
  • SquinkySquinky Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2007
    Upgrading older games so that they simply run on newer hardware (without really altering the content) is perfectly fine with me. I'd much rather see originality than remakes. Sadly, current marketplace realities don't agree with me...
  • edited June 2007
    1. Riven. I think modern computers are approaching the point where it would be feasible to do it in real-time.
    2. Zelda 2. I'd actually love to see Zelda 2's basic story used for a modern 3D Zelda game.
    3. Super Mario 64/ SM64DS - I'd like to see the game ported to Wii, with all the bonus features from the DS version. The DS version was great, but it'd be better on a TV, with a controller.
  • edited June 2007
    For some reason this first one popped into my mind almost immediately, though my memories are of the Arcade version:
    1. BreakThru
    2. Tiger Heli
    3. Jackal
  • RyanRyan Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2007
    A revamped Jackal would be an awesome addition for download arcade on newer consoles, particularly with a versus mulit-player.
  • edited June 2007
    Ryan wrote: »
    A revamped Jackal would be an awesome addition for download arcade on newer consoles, particularly with a versus mulit-player.
    Or co-op!
  • edited June 2007
    I'd love to see Monkey Island 4 remade with Monkey Island 3, 2D visuals.
    I have nothing against 3D adventure games (especially not after Sam and Max Season 1), but LA really butchered everything I loved about CMI.

2 other games I'd like to see remade: Bugs Bunny Lost in Time (I loved that game, it'd be great if they could remake it to look even more like the cartoons) and Ratchet and Clank 1 (even if all they add is the XP system from the later games).

Part of me wants to see an FFVII remake, but I know Squeenix will probably muck it up somewhere along the line and take the soul out of the game. Even imagining FFVII just with better graphics doesn't feel right.
  • edited June 2007
    Badwolf wrote: »
    I'd love to see Monkey Island 4 remade with Monkey Island 3, 2D visuals.
    I have nothing against 3D adventure games (especially not after Sam and Max Season 1), but LA really butchered everything I loved about CMI.

Frankly, I could care less about the graphics. If anyone's going to make a MI4 remake, just PLEASE get rid of the godawful controls. :mad:
  • edited July 2007
    Maratanos wrote: »
    Frankly, I could care less about the graphics. If anyone's going to make a MI4 remake, just PLEASE get rid of the godawful controls. :mad:

Odd, I thought those controls are pretty much fine. Considering they're near same as Grim Fandango.

Darn, I have no idea what I would like remade to contribute.
  • edited July 2007
    I'd like a TRUE remake of Doom, not a "re-imagining" like Doom 3. Bring back the joke levels!

Primal Rage. The fighting game that out-gored Mortal Kombat, but nobody remembers it. With next-gen graphics and the same twisted sense of humor, it'd finally get the recognition it deserves.

The original Wolfenstein. The one for Apple IIe. I'd cry tears of bliss.
  • edited July 2007
    Melcadrien wrote: »
    Odd, I thought those controls are pretty much fine. Considering they're near same as Grim Fandango.

Darn, I have no idea what I would like remade to contribute.

Yeah. Apparently Grim Fandango has godawful controls, then... :p
    edited July 2007
    I remember Primal Rage very well, giant pre-historic animals kicking and screaming at one another, while thick tomato sauce spewed from their wounds. I played that in the movie theater a couple times. A remake may not be interesting enough for me to play it again..Time Splitters, yes..King of Monsters, yes..but I'm not sold on Primal Rage..and I swear if someone says they want a Paws of Fury remake I'll spit on them..or on my screen.
  • edited July 2007
    Maybe I'm in the minority :P What about One Must Fall 2097? I refuse to believe you if you say you disliked that gem. :D Imagine what today's systems can do with the robots in that game.
  • edited July 2007
    1. Twisted Metal 2 [ By far the best Twisted Metal game in the series. ]
    2. Doom 2 [ Doom 3 is a remake of Doom 1, why not a remake of the 2nd? :cool: ]
    3. Oddworld Abe's Oddysee [ At least a new Oddworld Abe Game! I love those games :D ]
  • edited July 2007
    I played One Must Fall a lot back in the day, this was before Epic made Unreal.
  • edited July 2007
    ShaggE wrote: »
    I'd like a TRUE remake of Doom, not a "re-imagining" like Doom 3. Bring back the joke levels!

Primal Rage. The fighting game that out-gored Mortal Kombat, but nobody remembers it. With next-gen graphics and the same twisted sense of humor, it'd finally get the recognition it deserves.

The original Wolfenstein. The one for Apple IIe. I'd cry tears of bliss.

I know the Apple version of Wolfenstein 3D had higher res graphics for front on views (no other angles, however), but what were the other differences?

As for Doom, it would be brilliant pulled of well, but I don't think it'll be possible. Anyway, Doom source ports keep me happy!!!

I don't like these as much. (Either buggy or arrogant devs)

PS. I thought Doom 3 sucked hard. It was boring and repetitive.

PS2. Ugh. I hate url tags.

And more to the topic. Black Mesa, Half Life remake is looking nice.
  • edited July 2007
    The original Wolfenstein wasn't Wolf3d, it was a 2D maze-ish stealth-y game-thing. Kinda like the original 2D Metal Gear, except more arcade-y.

I didn't think Doom 3 sucked, it definitely had it's moments of "Sweet llamas of the bahamas, that was great!"... but it definitely had issues, and the engine seemed to age faster than most. (For cryin' out loud, look at that shotgun! Quake 2, anyone?)
  • edited July 2007
    It must've aged quickly, because Quake 4 sure looks aweful. Of course, it's also not very fun. But they sure used the engine to poor effect...
  • edited July 2007
    Quake 4 definitely used the engine better than Doom 3, though. It was fun in a budget-game way. id Software just ain't what they used to be.
  • edited July 2007
    I don't know, I saw a lot of wretched low resolution textures in Quake 4 on the highest settings possible. I don't recall seeing anything like that in Doom 3, but that could be simply because I couldn't see anything. :/ Either way, I enjoyed Doom 3 a lot more then Quake 4. At least I finished Doom 3.
  • edited July 2007
    OK adam those games shouldnt even be brought up for the simple fact they suck and they arent old :P

1: Crusader series
    2: Arcanum/ fallout those types... fallout 3 lets pray is ok! (Prays to bethsoft)
    3: Thief 1 & 2 + deus ex 1, anachronox ( I miss you looking glass/ion storm!!)
    4: Wind commander privateer and all before it :P
    5: kyrandia 1 2 3 ... Telltale i see potential here esp using the same type of engine sam & max use!
    6: anachronox ( I miss you looking glass/ion storm!!)
    7: system shock 1, bioforge, cybermage
    8. All the ultima series yep even underworld :P

Prolly to many and I have tons more I wish would be remade :P but most of the classics are perfect the way they are.. just a little sprucing up and compatibility fixes as well as extras poof !
  • edited July 2007
    Deus Ex would be great! I'd kill for a version without hideous physics.

@AdamG: I think I don't notice the ugly textures as easily, due to the fact that until a couple years ago I had a Pentium 1, and games made after 1998 were a pipe dream :P So I'm still giddy that I can even play Doom 3 and Quake 4 at high settings (admittedly only around 30 fps during firefights, but thats more than enough for me, I've learned to compensate my aim for frame drops)
  • edited July 2007
    I actually kinda liked Quake 4. Lots lots better than Doom 3.
    And ShaggE you say budget game, fun you should mention it. I could kinda see it wasn't going to be that great, so I wasn't going to buy it. 2 months after it's release though I found it in a bargain bin at $8 and decided I might as well give it a try then.

@kaldire, as for Ultima underworld, you could give the demo of Arx Fatalis a whirl. In spirit it was a lot like Ultima underworld. 9 levels of subterran world with different groups living in it. Lots of going back and forth. Spell system bit remniscent of the Ultima style.

Personally I have a lot of games I'd love to see re-made, or more games in the spirit of it. Rayman 1 for instance was a great platformer encouraging lots of exploration and having devious puzzles. Flashback and Abe's oddysee and Prince of persia (the old ones) could do with a bit of an update. The new POP games were okay, part of what made it so nice to play were the animations really giving you a good feel that you were doing something almost cinematic at times. games like Hired guns or Mortal coil would be good as well, having 4 viewports to control 4 characters might be interesting with a proper engine, maybe combined with some more strategy a-la the old Space hulk games.

These are in no way a top three. And not all of them should even be re-made. Remaking a game might lose what was good in the game, the spirit and the particular things which you just can't put your thumb on. But some of the concepts could easily be made good in new games, but a re-make won't ever replace the original one.
  • edited July 2007
    DrakeFox wrote: »
    I actually kinda liked Quake 4. Lots lots better than Doom 3.
    And ShaggE you say budget game, fun you should mention it. I could kinda see it wasn't going to be that great, so I wasn't going to buy it. 2 months after it's release though I found it in a bargain bin at $8 and decided I might as well give it a try then.

Hehe, that's hilarious. Hopefully Quake Wars will be id's second coming, the way people are gibbering with excitement over it. (Just looks like Counterstrike In Space to me, though)

Maybe they should kickstart their older franchises, like Commander Keen. I misses mah Dopefish!

Also, Apogee games in general should get some remakes, just to introduce them to newer gamers. That way they might play the originals, and bask in the glory of the Kings O' Shareware. (Rise Of The Triad wouldn't work, though... that game can never be duplicated.)
  • edited July 2007
    I liked Quake 4 more than Doom 3, but Doom 3 definitely had replay value.
  • edited July 2007
    Drake Ive played every game known to man I think.. least every pre Xbox game.. I never have owned an xbox. Arx fatalis is on my top 10 list of games its great fun :P I still play it off and on.
  • edited July 2007
    Quake 4 definitely used the engine better than Doom 3, though. It was fun in a budget-game way. id Software just ain't what they used to be.
    Hopefully Quake Wars will be id's second coming, the way people are gibbering with excitement over it.
    For the record, Quake 4 was developed by Raven Software (on id's Doom 3 engine), and Quake Wars is being developed by Splash Damage (again on an id engine).

Regarding a remake of Doom, there was an awesome mod for Doom 3 called "Classic Doom for Doom 3" that recreated all the levels (and music!) of the original Doom's first episode in the Doom 3 engine. While not quite as ambitious as "Black Mesa Source", I certainly enjoyed it. It's still available here, though it requires a certain version of Doom 3 (1.3.1, I think) to run.
  • edited July 2007
    Kaldire wrote: »
    Drake Ive played every game known to man I think..

So, what'd you think of such classic titles as:

1993Tris
    Moraff's Maze
    Outlaw97
    Smashing Pumpkins Into Small Piles Of Putrid Debris
    Maabus
    Aldo's Adventure
    and Xerix?

:D

(Yes, those are all real games, and yes, I will go into shock if you really HAVE played them :P)

EDIT:
    For the record, Quake 4 was developed by Raven Software (on id's Doom 3 engine), and Quake Wars is being developed by Splash Damage (again on an id engine).

O RLY? I had no idea, I thought they were limited to Heretic and Hexen.
  • edited July 2007
    Spispopd was actually a kind of entertaining game I though. Moraff's maze on the other hand wasn't all that good. Didn't really like any of Moraff's games. They were ripoff games in the same calibre as PopCap games, but even worse.

And I never completed Arx Fatalis. I didn't know what to do with those stones of Akhbar (or how it's spelled) so some of them I used to spring traps, and others I dropped when I needed the inventory space. So in the end where I needed them I roamed across the entire gameworld and couldn't find the last one. I think I dropped one into a chasm in the dwarf mines.

For Doom, JDoom does a really really great job of bringing doom up with new graphics, especially if you find a Texture and model pack for it.
  • edited July 2007
    Moraff Stones was original, but that's about his only original game. +50 points for having played a classic MoraffWare game :P
  • edited July 2007
    O RLY? I had no idea, I thought they were limited to Heretic and Hexen.
    Raven's developed quite a few games since Hexen, including a few hits (and a handful of misses). Most of their hits have been licensed titles like (Star Trek) Elite Force, (Star Wars) Jedi Knight, (Marvel) Ultimate Alliance, and (X-Men) Legends, and the Soldier of Fortune series. Check out this list.
  • edited July 2007
    I meant games developed with id Software.
  • edited July 2007
    -Spispopd
    (I own the game) pretty fun when it came out.. Loved how it made fun of quake on start... Loading complicated stuff...formatting random things.. or something of the sort lol
    -Xerix Horrid lil 2d like zaxxonish game .. never liked it but have played it
    -Moraff's (I have every rpg period.. ok well im missing a small handful care for a list?
    -1993tris .. please .. another one of these clones and ill puke.. but yep played
    -Maabus (own the dos version) I like this game.. what I dont like is quicktime but yep got the game :P
    -Aldo's advent .. haha wow forgot about this one but yea ive played it..(like old mario bros meets logans run
    My old moniker was DosBoy soo anything dos I pretty much have memorized.
    Go to google and type in TeamRPG or any torrent site.. we put up a few rare rpgs now and again to the public ;) perfectly legal too since its pre 1999 for most.

How about...
    Jumpman or jumpman jr
    legacy of the ancients
    Hexplore
    UBIK
    To many old ones most would never know about lol

PS... never liked ID or doom .. and I had a nice long talk with tom hall who said it was the worst game he ever worked on :P Cant wait to see what he is doing in that new MMO not that I play em
  • edited July 2007
    Kaldire wrote: »
    -Spispopd
    (I own the game) pretty fun when it came out.. Loved how it made fun of quake on start... Loading complicated stuff...formatting random things.. or something of the sort lol
    -Xerix Horrid lil 2d like zaxxonish game .. never liked it but have played it
    -Moraff's (I have every rpg period.. ok well im missing a small handful care for a list?
    -1993tris .. please .. another one of these clones and ill puke.. but yep played
    -Maabus (own the dos version) I like this game.. what I dont like is quicktime but yep got the game :P
    -Aldo's advent .. haha wow forgot about this one but yea ive played it..(like old mario bros meets logans run
    My old moniker was DosBoy soo anything dos I pretty much have memorized.
    Go to google and type in TeamRPG or any torrent site.. we put up a few rare rpgs now and again to the public ;) perfectly legal too since its pre 1999 for most.

How about...
    Jumpman or jumpman jr
    legacy of the ancients
    Hexplore
    UBIK
    To many old ones most would never know about lol

PS... never liked ID or doom .. and I had a nice long talk with tom hall who said it was the worst game he ever worked on :P Cant wait to see what he is doing in that new MMO not that I play em

You're my new best friend. Shall we rent an apartment in SoHo and laugh at the pseudo-trendy? :p
  • edited July 2007
    I wouldn't mind a remake of Tera Nova.
  • edited July 2007
    For Jumpman, try Jumpman Under construction
    Nice faithful remake of Jumpman (with the original levels, with actual permission to use it), and new game/level editor.
  • jmmjmm
    edited July 2007
    Adventure: Gabriel Knight 1, Most LA old titles (LOOM, MI, etc), Freddy Pharkas

Other genres:
    XCOM 1&2. Better graphics, sound and improved AI.
    Transport Tycoon (Though TTDPatch and OpenTTD are good for the moment)
    and a Terminator game that doesn't suck.
  • edited July 2007
    1 skies of Arcadia (real remake with amazing visuals no a directors cut or sequel)
    2 body harvest
    3 star ocean (english text)
    edited July 2007
    jmm wrote: »
    Adventure: Gabriel Knight 1, Most LA old titles (LOOM, MI, etc), Freddy Pharkas

Other genres:
    XCOM 1&2. Better graphics, sound and improved AI.
    Transport Tycoon (Though TTDPatch and OpenTTD are good for the moment)
    and a Terminator game that doesn't suck.

Um, hells yes to Xcom, should've been in my top 3...But I think there have been many unofficial attempts. More recently the UFO series and the Xcom Gameboy Advance rip off, which i cant remember the name of. But I'd also like to see another stab at Fallout Tactics, as long as we're mentioning noteworthy TB's...but now I am getting too contemporary for my taste, to request a remake.
  • edited July 2007
    How about Betrayl at Krondor? That ranks as one of the greatest PC RPGs of all time, in my book.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.