What you think about this site

edited July 2007 in General Chat
What do you think of this? ( http://www.paidcuriosity.com )
Looks like an idea with potential, if it gets some media coverage it might be worthing to purchase a box!
Do you know any other sites like this, or is this a first?
:)

Comments

• edited July 2007
    Sounds a bit like the Million Dollar Homepage (I think it was the first of those type of sites). That site was a good idea, he sells off pixels as advertising space, I think it was in packs of 10x10 pixels, to pay off his student debts.
    He made more than enough in no time, and it had quite a bit of attention on the news over here for a while.

EDIT: $200 per box?! That's far too much compared to what other sites like it are doing. I don't think he's going to get that many takers for that price. Especially when the chances of someone looking at your box are very slim, especially if you're one of the middle ones.

EDIT 2: Okay, this is ridiculous. The guy running Paid Curiosity is claiming his idea is original, which I could understand if he hadn't seen the Million Dollar Homepage (I'll call it the MDH now for speed), but looking at his FAQ...
    8. Are you worried about copy-cats/rip-offs?

No, it is bound to happen (this is the internet afterall), and infact, I think it will work in my favour. They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. So I think any copy-cat sites will only have pure comedy value, whereas mine possibly has a bit of comedy PLUS some actual pull in terms of advertising dollars.

And this from the FAQ of the MDH which happened to be around a long time before.
    12. Are you worried about copy-cats/rip-offs?

Not at all. It is bound to happen (this is the internet afterall), and infact, I think it will work in my favour. They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. So I think any copy-cat sites will only have pure comedy value, whereas mine possibly has a bit of comedy PLUS some actual pull in terms of advertising dollars

If he's going to copy someone else's idea, he could do better than ripping off the FAQ too.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2007
    Beautiful spam.
  • MelMel
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, he posted this same thing over at Adventure Gamers but I deleted his link and banned him. :cool:

I usually just delete those threads but I left that one just in case anyone wanted to mock him. He's probably hoping he'll make some money by getting someone to click that link. Although I wouldn't put too much effort in dissecting his motivations as he/she will probably never be back.
  • edited July 2007
    You know, I have a question for you.

Do you think it's better to delete the spambot, or ban it?

Deleting the account leaves it open for recreation under the same name, but in the meantime, it's not hanging around in memberlists and stuff with its links.

Banning prevents that account from ever being used again, but on the other hand, it keeps the account around.

EDIT: Incidentally, IMO that is the spammer's flaw that ultimately leads to its downfall. They can't be original to save their life. :rolleyes:
  • edited July 2007
    What do you think of this? ( http://www.telltalegames.com )
    Looks like an idea with potential, if it gets some media coverage it might be worthing to purchase a game!
  • edited July 2007
    I'm sorry Derwin, but current marketplace realities dictate that that idea wouldn't work at all.
  • edited July 2007
    Derwin wrote: »
    What do you think of this? ( http://www.telltalegames.com )
    Looks like an idea with potential, if it gets some media coverage it might be worthing to purchase a game!
    Haggis wrote: »
    I'm sorry Derwin, but current marketplace realities dictate that that idea wouldn't work at all.

ROFL!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.