Choices/Save bug, read on. I may have a solution for you... TTG Store version

edited July 2012 in Game Support
Ok.. I'm copying a few other threads of myself into this one because i think with the background info and the idea i had i may have solved many a choice/save glitch not carrying over to EP2 with people using the TTG store version, read the end for the result.
While being a zombie myself by now due to the time and effort i've put into this problem there are still no ties on how to solve this ourselves. Saves don't get.. well.. saved and choices made do not carry over and when pausing the game it reverts back to ep1 and so forth and so on.

I went on doing a little investigation of the directory structure (the TTG store version mind you) and there's a thing that boggles my mind a bit:

- Installed it to my game drive wich is D:\Games\The Walking Dead
- upon starting it creates a folder or adds to the folder (i've got more games of TTG) on the C:\ drive in your documents folder called \Telltale Games\The Walking Dead (or any other TTG game of late)

BUT...

Both the documents folder as well as the game folder on the D:\ drive contain a prefs.prop file of wich the one on the install drive gets updated last. When i chose to "GET" episode 2 from within the launcher it downloads them to the C:\ documents folder and keeps em there.. (Ehrm.. i did tell the game to install on D: not keep a gigabyte of data on my C:)

Lastly.. I had 12 savegames in the documents folder upon ending EP1 succesfully earlier. Still EP2 does not carry any choices correctly and when pausing or exiting no save is done. Also i noticed a save_9.save being lonely in the install dir on D:\ at one time..

So.

Why does EP2 remain on the documents dir wich is just plain stupid and why do you use 2 (two) prefs.prop files in different locations? I think this is where it may go wrong TTG.

I've been doing some more gravedigging around again and tried the following so far wich needs testing:

I kept ONE save from episode one that finished past the credits and backed it up.
Fresh install with EP2 downloaded before playing so no previous saves.
Placed the backuped save. Not showing. hmmm. So the save is not that important. (read on)
Started a new EP1 game and alt-tabbed in and out during the freeway scene till a autosave was made.
I checked the timestamp on prefs.prop both in the install dir and the \Documents dir. The install dir one changed along with the first save.
Exited the game and deleted the save. Placed my backuped save in and renamed to the one just deleted (ie. save_2.save deleted and renamed save_12.save to save_2)
Booted game and clicked play. Rewind shows just the freeway scene wich would be correct as props.pref has'nt changed yet.
Clicked continue and bam i am at the motel doing the final conversations. Let the credits roll and back at the main menu i exited.

Heres the funny thing. The game made a new save called save_1.save with exact same size as the backuped one with a timestamp of when i LOADED the game. Now prefs.prop was saved 12 minutes later meaning this is where the final choices and stats are located.

Here's what i think goes wrong but i need to test further. Prefs.prop that came with EP2 in the \Documents dir remained unchanged since it was placed there during download. Now i have a feeling the prefs.prop that keeps getting updated up till the end of EP1 does NOT get taken into the new prefs.prop. and the last save does not do much either.

Going to replace the EP1 prefs.prop now with the EP2 one to see if it will move forward

It worked!

I copied the prefs.prop from the install dir to the location of \Documents where EP2 got installed and low and behold the choices came on fine for me, the "previously on" was different and the settings where unaltered. I've yet to start playing the game further to see if it in fact does do what we all want to but so far i've made some progress. Please try it if you have the save/choices bug.

Sadly i dont have time to do a lenghty play session so if any can report back please do.

Comments

• edited July 2012
    If anyone cares considering i had zilch reactions on this. I did a full playthrough and it all worked fine and dandy now with choices and saves properly being remembered.

Fact remains that the game having two seperate prefs.prop for both episodes messes up a lot of peoples progression saving. On the steam forum a guy mentions the same as well and it helped on that version too.

In the end. TTG, i spend quite a bit of my weekend trying to solve this so please make sure EP3 goes flawless in this regard, thanks.
This discussion has been closed.