Sam and Max, Episode 2: "Error while unpacking program, code LP5. Please report to au

edited July 2007 in Game Support
I recently purchased the full Sam and Max season.

I just downloaded and tried to run Episode 2. When I do, I get this error: "Error while unpacking program, code LP5. Please report to author." The program won't run.

I am using a Dell Dimension 8200 running XP.
My firewall is off.
I am not using antivirus software.
I have run a spyware checker, which found no Trojan horses or other active spyware.
I have redownloaded and reinstalled.

There are posts on this problem on your forums, dated several months ago. They indicated that efforts were being made to solve this problem. Evidently, this hasn't been done.

I have ordered the DVD. (Though I got an E-mail saying it would be delayed because of limited supplies.) Will it fix this problem? If not, do you have a fix? If not, can I get my money back?

Once again, I must stress. I am NOT using antivirus software and I did turn my firewall OFF.

- Jeff Vogel

Comments

• edited July 2007
    IANATE[1] but that just sounds like a corrupt download file, it can't unpack it.

Try downloading Episode 2 again - you can use the same Username/Password to activate it as you should have recorded when paying for the game.

[1] I am not a Telltale Employee
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2007
    It's a problem with the activation software, and people who were having it suddenly stopped having it in March or April, which suggested that the fix was due to an update to Windows or to antivirus software. (Since you're not using antivirus software, then apparently not that.) Please make sure your Windows is up to date.

If you could, please give episode 6 a try and let us know if the same thing happens. Episode 6 has the most updated version of the activation software. We will be updating all the episodes in the coming weeks so if episode 6 is okay for you, the others probably will too after the update.

Also this shouldn't be an issue with the DVD since that doesn't use the same activation system.
  • edited July 2007
    I ran the Windows Updater. It patched the Genuine Security advantage. (Ironic humor. To try to keep the anti-piracy software from affecting me incorrectly, I installed an update to tighten the anti-piracy.) I am now using Windows XP SP2 with everything completely up to date.

Episode 2 still won't run. Same error.

I downloaded episode 6. Did not run. Exact same error: "Error while unpacking program, code LP5. Please report to author."

Episode 1, which worked a few weeks ago when I bought everything, still works. Dunno why.

This is really starting to take more of my time than it is worth. I will wait for the DVD. If it doesn't work, it'll be time to explore your refund policy.

- Jeff Vogel
    Spiderweb Software
    http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com
  • RyanRyan Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2007
    Sorry this isn't being a good experience for you, I wish I had a quick fix. The DVD should work because, as we said, it doesn't involve activation of any kind. The new versions of season 1 should also work for you, considering the major push for new versions, was to revamp the protection software. And if none of these things work for you in the future, we will certainly refund your money, we wouldn't expect you to pay for a product you can't use.
This discussion has been closed.