Wii like adventure

edited July 2007 in General Chat
From what I've seen on this board people have really been enjoying their wii consoles. Anyway, I was browsing the latest gaming news over on joystiq and found a game many here might enjoy.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/797/797414p1.html

There is the article from IGN.
It is another pirate adventure game... hmmm pirates + adventure game... how ...original? It seems to be getting some good press but might be overlooked by some since adventure isn't exactly mainstream these days.

Comments

• edited July 2007
    Yeah, I'm looking forward to this game. I doubt it will be anything at all like Monkey Island, but it still looks like a clever game. Nice to see a variety of clever Wiimote uses, that isn't a minigame collection.
  • MelMel
    edited July 2007
    Here's the press release with some screen shots. :)
  • edited July 2007
    Yeah, I've been anticipating Zack and Wiki for a while now. I'll definitely be picking it up ASAP.
  • edited July 2007
    Adventure games aren't mainstream anymore because consumers are mainly dull minded and will play nothing if it doesn't include gibs and gore... Or if it isn't an RTS...
  • edited July 2007
    Old-school styled cartooning, family-friendly content, and lots of laughs? I'm there!
  • edited July 2007
    You guys know that "Agatha Christie: And Then There Were None" will be coming for the wii November 2007?
  • MelMel
    edited July 2007
    jannar85 wrote: »
    You guys know that "Agatha Christie: And Then There Were None" will be coming for the wii November 2007?

As will Secret Files: Tunguska (Q1 2008).
  • edited July 2007
    This probably isn't the smartest first post I've ever made, but I want to address AdamG's statement about mainstream (and I'm assuming he means 'Non-adventure') gamers. I'm relatively new to the genre; played some old LucasArts stuff way back and fiddled with the likes of Myst and Lighthouse.

Lately though, I've been addicted (mostly thanks to a couple of gems like Syberia and Dreamfall and everything by TellTale) and have been playing them non stop. I'm not a complete convert though, because there's a pretty wide gap between the quality of those games and the adventure game.

The adventure genre isn't where it is because "mainstream" gamers lost interest, it's because the quality of adventure games has been getting progressively worse with each passing year. Puzzles are either completely incomprehensible or so separate from the narrative that they serve only to slam the brakes on story or completely shatter the immersion factor the player might experience.

There's a HUGE market for adventure games. Good ones. Think about it. There's very little in terms of interface that prevents casual gamers from picking it up, narrative is the focus which can help the industry achieve the lofty "games are art" designation, and by virtue of what an adventure game IS any story can be told with very little constraints because of gameplay. And adventure games have been successful. There's tons of hype surrounding Zack and Wiki, games like Trace Memory and Hotel Dusk and Pheonix Wright sold quite well on the DS and console gamers are clamoring for more.

The problem is, no one (apart from TellTale and a few others) are bothering to address fundamental design problems in the genre. Problems that have been so ubiquitous that they've practically become convention, leading hardcore adventure gamers to not notice that they're there at all.

There are legitimate reasons the adventure genre is niche, and unfortunately (and unlike other genres like SRPGS) the only reason is designer incompetence and unwillingness to experiment. Hopefully with TellTale and games like Zack and Wiki, adventure authors will get the much needed inspiration this genre deserves.

Sorry. Rant. I know.

Um... so who wants to welcome me with open arms? :)
  • jmmjmm
    edited July 2007
    Welcome.
    You are entitled to your opinion and that matters to us. Have no fear, we will not burn you at the stake for posting, that is, if your posts are civil enough.

I agree with you about quality, however the problem about the genre is that popular genres (FPS, MMORPGS, etc) tend to be a large part in the money pie and adventure is only a relatively small part in it. And low quality does not help either.
  • edited July 2007
    Haha thanks.

And that's true. Budget is a significant factor. Perhaps not simply in the design phase, but marketing as well. Consider Ico (sort of an adventure game). That bombed despite its quality and mostly because of marketing. No one really knew what the thing was.

And maybe that's because Adventure's can be difficult to classify, as opposed to an FPS, an RPG, etc where gamers know what they're getting. But I think I'm in danger of dragging this post off topic. So I'll leave it that. :)

Thanks for the welcome.
  • edited July 2007
    Does anyone know where I can download a demo of Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure?
  • MelMel
    edited July 2007
    I don't think there's a public demo yet.
  • edited July 2007
    I wouldn't really expect one for Zack & Wiki anytime soon. Nintendo hasn't yet established any kind of system for Wii demos.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.