Problem with STEAM'S Back to the future

edited July 2012 in Game Support
Bought Back to the Future on STEAM. Downloaded all 5 episodes but only 1 and 2 play. Episodes 3,4 and 5 Crash just as the music starts to play or immediately. I get a *exe file quit* alert and thats as far as they go. I have all 5 set in compatability mode for XPsp3 and run as administrator. Looking in the STEAM common folder the 5 game folders are labled as ep1, ep2 and then Back to the future103, Back to the Future104 etcetra ... so coincidence that 1 and 2 work while named that way and 3,4 and 5 don't and the folders labled differently? I obviously looked inside as that is where I made proper shortcuts to the .exe files (not just the STEAM web/shortcut) and all the game .exes are there 6000 or so megabytes each ... ANyone have any idea why 1 and 2 work but the others crash? I have also validated each game and defragged them as well as completely trashing them and their respective folder in Documents and then redownloaded ... but they just won't work.:(

Comments

• edited July 2012
    I purchased the Back to the Future series on Steam during the recent Summer Sale. I have 64-bit Windows 7, and every time I try to launch I get Error Code 80.

I've tried running as admin.
    I've tried every choice under Compatibility (finally left it on Windows 98/ME).
    I've disabled the Desktop Composition (and tried all the other settings there, too).
    I wanted to try editing prefs.prop, but there is no folder under My Documents/Telltale Games for this game yet, as it crashes before it gets to the point where it creates that folder.

Please help!
  • edited July 2012
    I've also tried running the executable outside of Steam. When I do so I get the same basic result, although the specific error is different: Application Load Error P:0000065432

I don't know if this is a different way to see the same problem, or if that error is instead related to trying to make an end-run around the Steam interface.
  • edited July 2012
    And today it's suddenly working for no apparent reason. Strange. I'm sure it was nothing I did differently.

So, I guess problem solved, for now.
  • edited July 2012
    TPRJones wrote: »
    I purchased the Back to the Future series on Steam during the recent Summer Sale. I have 64-bit Windows 7, and every time I try to launch I get Error Code 80.

I've tried running as admin.
    I've tried every choice under Compatibility (finally left it on Windows 98/ME).
    I've disabled the Desktop Composition (and tried all the other settings there, too).
    I wanted to try editing prefs.prop, but there is no folder under My Documents/Telltale Games for this game yet, as it crashes before it gets to the point where it creates that folder.

Please help!

I know you said it started working again but would you by any chance use AVAST?
  • edited July 2012
    I do. But I have my entire Steam directory set as an exception. I also tried disabling it just in case, which didn't solve it at the time either. *shrug*
  • edited July 2012
    I know AVAST can cause error code 80 because I had it happen twice to me with games on steam but its usually as easy as closing steam and reopening it to solve the issue.
  • edited July 2012
    ... you know, as many different and varied things as I tried, I may have never thought to simply restart Steam. I don't remember now. That might indeed have been it!

I'll definitely keep that in mind for the future. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.