Top 100 Indie Games

MelMel
edited July 2007 in General Chat
Here's a list of the Top 100 indie games from Game Tunnel and Telltale landed 4 spots (there are a few other adventures on there too). :)

Comments

• edited July 2007
    Dude, how the hell can Psychonauts NOT be on there? Did it just not qualify by their definition of "Indie"?
  • edited July 2007
    Doesn't indie mean foreign? : /
  • edited July 2007
    They are missing all the great games made by individuals/indies which you can get and play for free, like Cave Story, Gamma Brothers, Gridwars2 ;O), ...
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2007
    AdamG wrote: »
    Doesn't indie mean foreign? : /

Indie is short for 'independent,' and it usually refers to something made by someone independent of a large corporate entity. (though the term is being corrupted and watered down to just mean 'niche,' that's the original intent) The image of most "indie" games (like most indie bands) is a few smelly guys in a garage pounding away on their dream project without corporate interference, but that can apply to slightly larger companies as well (possibly minus the garage). For instance neither Sam & Max or Bone were commissioned by a publisher - they were projects we made ourselves and sought out funding for them independent of signing the games over to someone else. CSI 3 and CSI 4 aren't "indie" because they're games we did on contract for Ubisoft. Obviously the whole definition is a blurry line, a slippery slope, etc, so sites like Game Tunnel just sort of call it like they see it. (and not everyone agrees).

Speaking of that link, the Independent Gaming Source is a good unfiltered blog about indie gaming. I have no idea what they have to say about TTG (if anything), but that's not the point - it's just a good read if you're looking for some indie stuff closest to its esoteric core.
  • SquinkySquinky Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2007
    When I was much younger, I used to think that "indie" was a synonym for "Bollywood".
    Jake wrote: »
    Obviously the whole definition is a blurry line, a slippery slope, etc...

The company I'm working at for the summer is part of a collective that brands itself as "the largest independent game developer in North America", and yet all their projects are commissioned by publishers and are for the most part based on licenced properties. This pisses me off to no end.
  • edited July 2007
    The mod project myself and a friend are working on for HL2 is a complete and utter conversion, having only the engine and genre in common with HL2. Other than that, it's a full-blown, original game. Would that be considered an "indie" project, despite the fact that Valve fully supports and sometimes even funds conversions like this?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.