[WD] Won't load/recognize Episode 2 progress

edited July 2012 in Game Support
Hello, I've come across a problem that's pretty frustrating and I can't seem to find a fix for it. I've read a lot of the threads on here but I couldn't find someone with an identical problem as my own.

I bought the game the other day on Steam and yesterday I finally got around to beat all of Episode 2 in one sitting, loving every minute of it. Today, I felt like I wanted to redo one of the scenes in the Episode in the event that there is a call back to it in one of the next three Episodes that are released. So, when I go to start up my game, I see that the save file doesn't recognize ANY of my progress for Episode 2--the only option is to start the completed Episode 1 save file and begin Episode 2 from the beginning.

I restarted the game, and Steam itself hoping that that would do something. Nope.
So then I look in My Documents/Telltale Games/Walking Dead folder and see if there is even any saved games there. Yup, there are over 20 and the last save file was from right around the time I completed Episode 2.
Knowing that the save file is there but for some reason the game isn't loading it, I scour the boards to try to find a solution.

I've tried the potential solutions for this problem from these threads:
http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31140
http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29533#6

Despite all my attempts to get the game to recognize my completion of all available Episodes, it doesn't seem to want to (I even have all the Steam achievements unlocked!)

I've even uninstalled it and tried dropping a save file into the folder to see if it will pick it up, but it doesn't do that, either.

I'm at a loss. How can I get the game to load the completed Episode 2 save file so I can rewind, OR how can I get it to start making saves it recognizes so in the event that I have to redo the Episode, I won't have to go through this again?

**I forgot to mention one other thing. When I started Episode 2 for the first time, a lot of the choices were incorrect and I had to replace the prefs.prop file in the Telltale Games folder with the one that was in my Steam folder. I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but it is something that I did have to change in order to get my choices brought over.

Comments

• edited July 2012
    Hi there,

I have to second this, because I too am having this problem. I am on my Macbook Pro.

As with the OP I picked this up during the Steam Summer Sale, and also with the OP I have been loving every minute of it.

I haven't completed episode 2 yet, but I did start and made it about 15-20 minutes in. When I go to load the game I am show the screen for episode one, but when I click the arrow for episode 2 the "continue" button disappears.

And then, when I do scroll back to episode one and hit continue the game does not want to load. Instead I am given a black screen with my arrow still intact, but no way to get back or quit out of the game unless I restart.

My achievements are unlocked in the Steam library, but I cannot find any rhyme or reason why this would be happening. Is this a Steam issue or a Telltale one?

Edit -- It appears I spoke too soon, for as soon as I loaded up the game again and shifted from Episode 1 to 2 I just hit "play" and it picked up right after my last checkpoint.

I'm guessing that the whole hit "continue" thing only works for episode 1 -- obviously a bit of a programming error, but I'm all right with that. Hell, I got a good hour's worth of playing, so I'm a lot happier than I was an hour ago when I wrote this post.
This discussion has been closed.