Can we have an Android port please?

13»

Comments

• edited August 2013
    The Walking Dead: Assault ep 1 was released by skybound llc for both android and ios.......its one of the top paid games....its price is 2 dollars....why cant telltale release episodic games.... i will pay 4.99 dollars for each episode.
  • edited August 2013
    OH MY GOD! It finally happened. Walking Dead season 1+400 days DLC has been announced to be arriving for Android !
    Looks to be Ouya exclusive so far, but hopefully it will drop the exclusivity later.

Announcement: http://www.telltalegames.com/community/blogs/id-1036

Stupid question: Will Tegra 3 be powerful enough to run this game on full graphics ? Please add option to manually set graphics. (if there isn't one yet for the iOS version)
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2013
    That's great news, and I hope they will eventually support more suitable android devices, especially with touchscreens.

After all Android is now way ahead of iOS in market share on tablets.
  • edited August 2013
    DjNDB wrote: »
    That's great news, and I hope they will eventually support more suitable android devices, especially with touchscreens.

I agree. The Tegra 3 CPU in the Ouya is pretty powerful thanks to the factory OC to 1.7 Ghz, but the ULP Geforce inside it is a slow GPU...they really need to optimize it well if they want the same or better graphics than the Iphone 5 has.

Personally I own a Nexus 4 so I hope it will be supported in the future, counting that it is way more powerful than the Ouya with Tegra 3.

I hope they will add support later for Nexus 4, Galaxy S4, Xperia Z, HTC One, etc. Quadcore phones too.
  • edited August 2013
    Tind wrote: »
    Looks to be Ouya exclusive so far, but hopefully it will drop the exclusivity later.

Stupid question: Will Tegra 3 be powerful enough to run this game on full graphics ? Please add option to manually set graphics. (if there isn't one yet for the iOS version)

I'm not sure what you mean by "full graphics". If you mean 1080p then it's possible, although it's likely that TTG will aim for 720p resolution and display output (heh getting into techno-babble, but since Android wasn't originally designed with TVs in mind, even if you feed it a 720p frame it might try to output it at 1080p, causing some uglyness; although there was a recent breakthrough in getting OUYA to output the way the developers wanted it, however having it auto-select the best resolution is not possible atm because even TVs that have 720p native displays will sometimes try to process a 1080p frame, again, techno-babble). TTG will likely optimize this as one package that works well, even if some fidelity is loss (aka I don't see manually graphic options happening).

As far as the power of the OUYA (which yes, is basically supported by the Tegra 3 T33 chipset), it will be able to provide an experience that users will be happy with. I know that sounds like I'm dodging the question and I am. Going back to the iPhone 3GS/iPod Touch 3rd Gen/Original iPad (the first two are the oldest devices in their category supported by the iOS version needed for "The Walking Dead"), they all used the PowerVR SGX535 GPU chipset (later versions would go on to use multiple cores of basically the same chipset). Along with the custom processors (multifunction but basically the "CPU") that are also included with these devices, you are basically left with an "Apple to Oranges" (or OUYAnges if you prefer) comparison. Basically one of the few fundamental basics that both units have is that they are ARM-based. If you want to check out benchmarks and try to compare the two, there will never be a perfect way to do so btw, but our favorite benchmarking crew over at Futuremark does have a list of mobile devices to compare (Android only; however I did find a test that included iOS and Android devices using the Geekbench tool). While the tests may not look promising (OUYA is not listed under the Geekbench tests, however given the specs I would estimate a rating of around 1300, while the closest iOS device was the iPhone 5 averaging around 1500). Again these numbers really mean nothing, but with "The Walking Dead" already released for Windows, Mac, unofficially on Linux via wine/CrossOver/etc, PS3, Xbox 360, Vita and iOS, I really doubt that TTG would announce a release if it wasn't already working AND looking good.
    DjNDB wrote: »

While the game has proven to be successful on touchscreens with the iOS and Vita releases (which gives you the option of playing using only the touchscreen), I don't know if TTG will take the full plunge into Android. With OUYA, not only do they have controller support (again as we've seen on other platforms, this is not a must) but they also have one and only one specs of hardware to work with. It really depends on how much optimization is going on that is Tegra-specific (I wouldn't be surprised if this title landed on nVidia's "TegraZone" for example). However, it really looks like they are going for the complete market share, and it is rather trivial to make optimizations for phones/tablets released in the last couple of years (if the optimizations are occurring more via ARM than what the Tegra 3 chipset can specifically do). Most devices running Android 4.0+ would likely get their GPU power from a Tegra, Adreno (aka Snapdragon), or Mali chipset. Higher-end Allwinner and Atom chipsets use PowerVR, so that wouldn't be an issue!
  • edited August 2013
    No need for all of those words as it turns out!

The Walking Dead - Official OUYA Trailer
This discussion has been closed.