The Great Adventure Bundle 2010 launcher is dead

edited July 2012 in Game Support
Yesterday I thought I could play some of the games in the bundle again, since I never finished them way back then.

I tried to start the launcher, but it only loaded for a few seconds (mouse cursor with circle) and then... Nothing.

So I thought maybe a re-install will help, since I upgraded my computer hardware recently. I uninstalled, downloaded the bundle from Your Games and installed again. Needless to say since I'm writing here, it didn't help.

So I turned to search the forums for help. I couldn't find anyone with the exact issue that I had. I tried all the different Windows compatibility modes, also tried running as administrator, disabled visual themes etc. I also tried disabling antivirus software (Avira) during install and launch and disabling the firewall (Comodo). I tried installing to different folders as well as the default path.

Nothing helped.

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit on a i5-2500K (no overclock), 16GB of memory, and a GTX 570 graphics card.

Please Telltale, or anyone, do you have a solution to this?

Thank you.

Comments

• edited July 2012
    I just ran sfc /scannow just to check the integrity of my system files, but there was nothing wrong.
    Has anyone else tried running the Adventure Bundle recently?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2012
    RealTK wrote: »
    Has anyone else tried running the Adventure Bundle recently?

I just did that, and it works for me.

I don't really know much you could try, since you tried a lot already.

Some older TTG games showed similar behavior when LUA for windows is installed, because of the LUA_PATH environment variable.

A clean boot (see below) is also worth a try.

You could also try if creating a new Windows user account helps.

Booting clean in Windows Vista / 7:
    1. Click Start --> Type msconfig --> Press Enter
    2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
    3. Uncheck Load Startup Items
    4. Select the Services tab
    5. Check Hide all Microsoft services
    6. Click Disable all
    7. If running the game on Steam, re-check the "Steam Client Service"
    8. Click on OK
    9. Click Restart.
    10. After reboot, run the game to see if it works.

After performing the necessary steps, restore your settings by doing the following:

1. Click Start --> Type msconfig --> Press Enter
    2. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
    3. Click Ok
    4. Click Yes, when asked to restart your computer
  • edited July 2012
    Tried a clean boot, but even that didn't help, but then...
    I wouldn't have believed it, but creating another user helped!

I can start the launcher on another user account... I wonder what's up with that? O.O
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2012
    RealTK wrote: »
    I wouldn't have believed it, but creating another user helped!

I can start the launcher on another user account... I wonder what's up with that? O.O

I am glad it works that way. I don't know what's wrong with your other user account or how to find out.
    You could check if any files or registry entries created by the bundle are the culprit, if you care to investigate, but beyond that i have no idea.
  • edited July 2012
    Thanks.
    I might just create another user account and move everything to it.
    I'll be investigating on the registry entries though.

Thanks again, I'm glad I got it working somehow!
  • edited July 2012
    Being the perfectionist that I most often am, I had to track down the problem I had running the launcher with my user account. It took me a whole night and another evening, but finally I pinpointed the issue.
    It was Securom. I removed it with the Securom removal tool and also (the important part) cleaned the license information from registry with this software:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897448
    After that I did a restart and re-install of the bundle and the launcher worked.

Disclaimer: If you try this, it will most likely affect stored license information of games that use Securom
This discussion has been closed.