Debug Mode

edited September 2007 in Sam & Max
Was this intentionally left in, or was it an accident?

Comments

• edited July 2007
    What are you talking about?
  • edited July 2007
    This.

Warning: May contain mild spoilers.
  • edited July 2007
    Is that from the DVD or something?
  • edited July 2007
    Nuh uh. Guess again.
  • edited July 2007
    Huh, I never noticed it before. :/ How do you get into debug mode?
  • edited July 2007
    To tell, or not to tell. That is the question.
    Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
    the slings and arrows of outrageous ignorance,
    or to take up arms against a sea of misconceptions,
    and by opposing, end them. To know, to think.
    And by knowledge to say we end
    the heartache and the thousand natural shocks
    that ignorance is heir to. 'tis a consummation
    devoutly to be wished. To know, to think,
    to think, perchance to act. Aye, there's the rub,
    for in that thought of action what perils may come,
    when we have shuffled off this ignorance
    must give us pause. There's the respect
    that makes calamity of such knowledge.
    For who would bear the whips and scorns of cheating,
    the oppressor's punishment, the proud man's scorn,
    the pangs of despising lovers, the law's delay,
    the insolence of Telltale and the spurns
    that patient merit of the unworthy takes,
    when he himself might his problem solve
    by simply not knowing. Who would fardels bear,
    to grunt and sweat for your games,
    but for that dread of something after cheating,
    the undiscovered country, from whose bourn
    no traveller returns, puzzles the will,
    and makes us rather bear those ills we have
    than fly to others we know not of.
    Thus conscience doth make cowards of us all,
    and thus the native hue of resolution
    is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought,
    and enterprises of such pitch and moment
    with this regard their currents turn awry,
    and lose the name of action.

Oh well.

Ctrl-Shift-D/double-click menu.
  • edited July 2007
    I tryed Ctrl-Shift-D but nothing happond
  • edited July 2007
    You have to double-click the menu tab as well. Hello, I'm Kedri. This is the second time Maratanos has claimed my credit without citing sources, so he's forced my hand and I've now joined the forum.:p

I originally found out about the cheat from GameFAQs. The original topic I started is here: http://www.uruobsession.com/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=97&t=31199&
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2007
    It wasn't intentionally left in, but we never intended to take it out, either. There's nothing you can really do with it except go to different parts of the game and potentially mess up the game logic. :p
  • edited July 2007
    Emily wrote: »
    There's nothing you can really do with it except go to different parts of the game and potentially mess up the game logic. :p
    We've just finished up six episodes where we
    foiled the plot of an evil rainbow-obsessed magician bent on world harmony through hypnosis via moon lasers, mafia-supplied stuffed animals, sentient network constructs, television talk-show hosts, and the mechanized Lincoln Memorial, through such spurious means as repeated blunt-force-trauma, kidnapping, extortion, and the election of a psychotic lagomorph to the Presidency of the United States...
    and you're worried about us messing up the game's logic?
  • edited July 2007
    Yes. Messing up the games logic would be very easy, with instant teleportation. Try teleporting to the inner sanctum of the Blister of Tranquility without having the required items to be able to beat the game... Not fun.
  • edited July 2007
    Emily wrote: »
    It wasn't intentionally left in, but we never intended to take it out, either. There's nothing you can really do with it except go to different parts of the game and potentially mess up the game logic. :p
    Well, I suppose with the debug mode you can at least watch the credits, which might be fun. How was the code discovered by us, anyway?
  • edited July 2007
    I got Max to
    drink Hugh Bliss with one of his hands missing.
    Yeah, it really DOES mess with the logic.

Not to mention that in some cases, using Debug can sometimes cause the graphics to glitch up...
  • edited July 2007
    Maratanos wrote: »
    Yes. Messing up the games logic would be very easy, with instant teleportation.
    I was actually trying to be sarcastic, suggesting that logic is apparently a sparse commodity when it comes to Sam & Max. ;)
  • edited July 2007
    I've tried three teleports so far:
    Oval Office: Act 2, Abe chase, and the Text Adventure. So far, the first was the least buggy, with me being able to at least walk around. The second crashed instantly, and I could see Abe body parts everywhere, and the third was missing Sam & Max, and crashed the moment I tried to do something.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2007
    Heh! It was only a matter of time before people noticed that those are there (hint: theyre in all versions of the Sam & Max episodes). Use at your own risk, not recommended for use with save games. Harmful if swallowed.
  • edited July 2007
    It was Cyberlink420 who really discovered them, but we still don't know how.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2007
    I thought it was bgbennyboy over at Quick & Easy who discovered them?
  • edited July 2007
    Jake wrote: »
    I thought it was bgbennyboy over at Quick & Easy who discovered them?

If it was him, then it went through him to Cyberlink420, to Me, and finally to Maratanos here. My brain hurts.
  • edited July 2007
    I was messing around with debug mode in Episode One and Max turned invisible! :p He could still talk, but his voice was disembodied and he was nowhere to be seen.
  • edited July 2007
    Hey, it's really not suprising. People really will reverse-engineer/disassemble games to find out cheat codes and stuff...
  • edited July 2007
    I still haven't tried this, nor did I know about it until today, but can I claim original credit for it anyways? I am looking forward to trying this soon, just because it is possible.
  • edited July 2007
    It's actually kindof useful, in some ways. Instant teleportation from Bosco's to the War Room in Ep4 is not to be scoffed at.

Although they kid you not when they say it goofs with some stuff. Seriously, use at own risk.
  • edited July 2007
    I'm gonna try soon to see if I can get an instant and stable link to the credits for ep. 6. That might be good.
  • edited July 2007
    Ooh, yeah, you're right.
  • edited July 2007
    Kedri wrote: »
    I'm gonna try soon to see if I can get an instant and stable link to the credits for ep. 6. That might be good.
    It works!
  • edited July 2007
    *Darth Sidius like* GOOOoooood....Hm, are there any other points that it would be nice to just link to? The text adventure doesn't work, unfortunately.
  • edited July 2007
    Hm, are there any other points that it would be nice to just link to? The text adventure doesn't work, unfortunately.
    Not sure why it doesn't work for you - it worked for me just fine. I started the game, pulled up the Debug menu, clicked "Text Adventure" and there it was. Even went through from there and beat it again without incident.
  • edited July 2007
    Really? The moment I clicked "Get," my whole computer went kablooie.
  • edited July 2007
    I only tried it in episode one, but the theme seemed to be that they put shortcuts to the start of every "cutscene" or new area into the debug mode. Which isn't surprising really, since they probably had to go over each of those scenes a couple hundred times in production.
  • edited July 2007
    Really? The moment I clicked "Get," my whole computer went kablooie.

Oh, right. If you do it at the wrong place, it actually downgrades your computer to a Commodore 64.

Try typing in: "Load Microsoft Windows XP,8,1" and press return.
    If that doesn't work, type in "Load Windows XP" followed by return, and then press play on tape. If neither of that work, you should try inserting another disk into your floppy drive, and type in "LIST" to make sure you have it installed.

If that doesn't work, I got some old instructions in BASIC on how to make a balloon move up and down on your screen. In a flash(well, a really slow flash, lasting a couple of hours), your PC(reborn as C64) will be turned into an entertainment system.
  • edited July 2007
    I got to the debug mode, but when I don't get gow it works. How does it work?
  • edited July 2007
    marsan wrote: »
    Oh, right. If you do it at the wrong place, it actually downgrades your computer to a Commodore 64.

Try typing in: "Load Microsoft Windows XP,8,1" and press return.
    If that doesn't work, type in "Load Windows XP" followed by return, and then press play on tape. If neither of that work, you should try inserting another disk into your floppy drive, and type in "LIST" to make sure you have it installed.

If that doesn't work, I got some old instructions in BASIC on how to make a balloon move up and down on your screen. In a flash(well, a really slow flash, lasting a couple of hours), your PC(reborn as C64) will be turned into an entertainment system.

What are you all talking about? I didn't see any place to type anything in in the debug mode.
  • edited July 2007
    I got to the debug mode, but when I don't get gow it works. How does it work?
    There are buttons for locations or noteworthy "acts". You click those buttons to go to those places.

The comments about "Load Windows XP,8, 1" and "Press Play on Tape" are sarcasm. That's how games were loaded back in the Commodore 64 days.
  • edited July 2007
    AdamG wrote: »
    I was messing around with debug mode in Episode One and Max turned invisible! :p He could still talk, but his voice was disembodied and he was nowhere to be seen.

How did you turn Max invisible?
  • edited July 2007
    marsan wrote: »
    you should try inserting another disk into your floppy drive, and type in "LIST" to make sure you have it installed

That's ridiculous... it would never work like that.

You would have to type LOAD"$",8 first. :D
  • edited July 2007
    lol, that's right. With my instructions Kedri would've been on a wild goose chase.
  • edited July 2007
    Where do I type things in?
  • edited July 2007
    How did you turn Max invisible?

I dunno, he just was. :confused:
  • edited July 2007
    AdamG wrote: »
    I dunno, he just was. :confused:

I found a similar thing, just the other way around: Max could be seen, but I couldn't hear his voice... I think it's called "volume slider".
Sign in to comment in this discussion.