Securom...Why?

edited August 2007 in Game Support
I just got my DVD today. Installed it and went to play it. Up pops a securom error 5024 saying I have a process explorer running when I have closed every thing that I can. I am not going to sit here and kill everything under msconfig just to play 1 game. Why do you guys do this to a paying customer. Stop treating us like criminals. I don't want my money back, I want to play what I payed for (which I have not been able to even with the download version problems).

Quite disgruntled.

Cheers.

PS: to those watching the threads; delete this is you must, but please think about this. Thanks.

Comments

• edited July 2007
    What an odd toast...(You said cheers)

Anyway, perhaps your computer has been spyware riddled? Maybe a scan would help?
  • edited July 2007
    I will check that, but I get the feeling it is the securom that is causing the problem. I have never had much luck with that.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2007
    Any chance youre running a debugger?
  • edited July 2007
    no debugger here.
  • edited July 2007
    I'm having the same issue as well... No debugger, and I'm always checking for spyware. Not sure what to do to fix it. :(
  • edited July 2007
    I don't have any problems with the disc, nor have I really encountered any difficulties with Securom, so I don't mind per se, but I really do wonder...

Why even bother? Piracy is so easy people that are going to do it are going to do it regardless and Securom isn't even going to slow them down. So if it's even a minor nuisance, I wonder what's the point. Especially in this case where anyone who wanted to pirate probably did it before this disc even came out.

Like I said, I'm not complaining personally, I'm happy with the disc, but does make you wonder. Something does need to be done about piracy, but it's going to need to involve rewarding the paying customer, not a futile attempt to slow down a pirate by a minute or two.

Maybe offer premium content on the site to subscribers or something. Valve does pretty well by offering new maps and updates to paying customers and things like that. I think that's probably the most effective approach I've seen.
  • edited July 2007
    Actually, process explorer is a well known program; http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/ProcessExplorer.mspx and it appears to be on the list SecuRom does not like (it has the same problem with disc emulators and the like).
    'Process Explorer' has dumping capabilities as well as registry monitor / file monitor capabilities. This could be used to trace the behavior of SecuROM.

Therefore, we do not allow the game to start when this software is active.

We have no immediate plans to allow this software in the future.

Best regards,

SecuROM Support Team
    SecuROM on the web: http://www.securom.com
    or via e-mail: support@securom.com

Be aware that you need to stop the program and reboot after that, because it is the (kernel level) driver that is causing SecuRom to complain.

It is of course entirely silly that one program wants to decide what I run on my system but I'll find a way around it, not to worry :)
  • edited July 2007
    Gah, omg thank you so much. I have it running on startup, so I'll have to change that. This should totally fix the problem! :D
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2007
    Sorry for the delay in responding, most of us were away at Comic-Con this weekend and unable to check the site.

fpostma, thanks for posting the info about Process Explorer. Anyone else who's having the problem, please post back and let us know if this fixes it for you.
  • edited August 2007
    I looked into it and what fpostma said about Process Explorer conflicting with SecuROM is the most common cause for error 5024. Others have solved the problem by either rebooting, and I read something about people apparently fixing it by putting the disc in another drive.

Many people are having problems with error 5024 with many games using SecuROM right now, and I read that the makers of SecuROM are looking into the matter.
  • edited August 2007
    Frogacuda wrote: »
    I don't have any problems with the disc, nor have I really encountered any difficulties with Securom, so I don't mind per se, but I really do wonder...

Why even bother? Piracy is so easy people that are going to do it are going to do it regardless and Securom isn't even going to slow them down. So if it's even a minor nuisance, I wonder what's the point. Especially in this case where anyone who wanted to pirate probably did it before this disc even came out.

Like I said, I'm not complaining personally, I'm happy with the disc, but does make you wonder. Something does need to be done about piracy, but it's going to need to involve rewarding the paying customer, not a futile attempt to slow down a pirate by a minute or two.

Maybe offer premium content on the site to subscribers or something. Valve does pretty well by offering new maps and updates to paying customers and things like that. I think that's probably the most effective approach I've seen.

Quoted for truth.
  • edited August 2007
    SecuROM really did become a problem for many, as I can see. The only problem I've encountered was the autorun crashing and giving me some looped error, but that doesn't really affect neither the installation, nor the running of already installed game.

System debuggers are a no no both for demos [Armadillo] and the DVD version [SecuROM]. Aside from the debuggers, SecuROM will not allow you to run the game if you have a virtual CD/DVD drive running. So disable any virtual drives you have.

SecuROM will detect most of them. Alcohol 120%, Deamon Tools, PowerISO, MagicISO and so on. After disabling and a quick reboot, everything worked fine for me.

By the way, thanks for using SecuROM. I hate DRM and the idea of being forced to register your product online. I'm glad you didn't go for Armadillo's hardware lock and DRM funtions.
  • edited August 2007
    Virtual drives aren't automatically a problem. I have discs mounted with virtual clonedrive most of the time and it's okay with that.
  • edited August 2007
    Morden wrote: »
    SecuROM will detect most

As I said, most of them. That doesn't mean every single person with a virtual drive mounted will get the SecuROM error.
This discussion has been closed.