How do I buy hit the road?

edited August 2007 in Sam & Max
Is there somewhere you can get a boxed copy of hit the road?

Comments

• edited July 2007
    Depends on where you live. If you're in North America, your best bet is ebay or importing it from Europe where it's easy to find. Don't forget to send a fruitless email to LucasArts asking for them to bring it back into print.
  • edited July 2007
    I've seen copies of it in a few charity shops here in the UK (I haven't found them in any 'real' shops though), but it's really down to luck.
  • edited July 2007
    in the uk they have had several copies in my local game for a tenner and game, play and amazon have them on their websites

you may need to download scumm to run it perfectly though as with all old point and clicks such as full throttle and beneath a steel sky
  • edited July 2007
    Not too long ago you could still get the Lucas Arts adventure bundle, Sam & Max: Hit the Road included. Hit the Road could also be bought bundled with Day of the Tentacle. Both of these releases were european.

It's a shame that this reedition of the first Sam & Max title did not include any bonus audio tracks on the CD. The initial release had these. Not to mention a nicer box with printed manual instead of a pdf file on the disc.

But hey, if it wasn't for the new releases, many gamers would never get another chance to buy these titles.

P.S. - Here's a photo of the 4 game bundle:

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/8688/multi03ht7.jpg

I've just checked eBay and there's plenty of Sam & Max games to go around, including the previously mentioned bundle with the Day of the Tentacle.
  • edited July 2007
    if you live in the us amazon uk deliver to the uk but if you order from them you may need to pay tax

delivery rates to north america

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html/202-4877979-7519838?ie=UTF8&nodeId=11072991
  • MelMel
    edited July 2007
    Check out Amazon marketplace as well. :)
  • edited July 2007
    You don't need scummVM to run the Activision "LucasArts Classics" re-releases in UK, Australia, New Zealand etc. They run fine in XP.

More info here

And you can buy from here;

http://www.gpstore.co.nz/Games/1457601.html
  • edited July 2007
    sorry i thought they were the same as the originals and assumed that it ran in the same way full throttle ran (i got given one of the original cd copies by my uncle)

but do try beneath a steel sky it is free for down load on the scummVM but you need the program to run it not humorous but very good. having been made by the same company who made the broken sword games
  • edited July 2007
    How do I buy hit the road?
    With money.
  • jmmjmm
    edited July 2007
    Money... never leave home without it
  • edited July 2007
    You don't want to buy Hit The Road becuse they talk in subtitles. (What they say is writen, not spoken.)
  • edited July 2007
    There's a talky version of Hit the Road though.

And how's a lack of voice acting make the game not worth buying anyway? Monkey Island 1 and 2 were great games, as are many RPGs without voice acting.
    Some games are even better without voice acting.
  • edited July 2007
    Actually, certain versions of the game feature voiceovers...
  • edited July 2007
    HA HA! Simultaneous post...

And yeah, voice acting in video games tends to get a lot of flak sometimes, the Sonic series being one notable example. (I personally don't see why everyone hates the voicework so much. Maybe it's just that they have a personal bias against 4Kids...)
  • edited July 2007
    if i remember it was the floppy versions that had no voice and cd versions that did
  • MelMel
    edited July 2007
    patters wrote: »
    if i remember it was the floppy versions that had no voice and cd versions that did

Right in one. :)
  • edited August 2007
    HA HA! Simultaneous post...

And yeah, voice acting in video games tends to get a lot of flak sometimes, the Sonic series being one notable example. (I personally don't see why everyone hates the voicework so much. Maybe it's just that they have a personal bias against 4Kids...)
    Being a fan of the Sonic series myself, I can say that I dislike the voice acting because they had really, really awesome voice actors that they got rid of because they wanted to be the same as 4Kids.
    Plus, 4Kids sucks, too. Don't forget that part.
  • edited August 2007
    Not only is there a CD version of Hit the Road that has full voice overs, but the voice acting is all top quality. :)
  • edited August 2007
    I would sell you mine but 1) It is bound to my sould and 2) the components are scattered around. I think the large box is in the garage, the instruction manual and the hint book (with included detective narrative of the stories plot Nice touch) is in my room sans a few pages I cant find from the instruction book. And my brother needs to bring me back the cd NOW! along with duke3d.
  • edited August 2007
    Eater wrote: »
    I would sell you mine but 1) It is bound to my sould and 2) the components are scattered around. I think the large box is in the garage, the instruction manual and the hint book (with included detective narrative of the stories plot Nice touch) is in my room sans a few pages I cant find from the instruction book. And my brother needs to bring me back the cd NOW! along with duke3d.

I may weep openly! Treat that masterpiece well, dude! :D
  • edited August 2007
    I have the big box with the manual, hintbook and original cardboard sleeve. The only part I'm missing oddly enough is the disc, lol.
    Same with DOTT and CMI. I have all the packaging but no cd's. I think my brother has them somewhere. they were mac anyways.
  • edited August 2007
    Telltale should print Hit the Road.
  • edited August 2007
    tuntis wrote: »
    Telltale should print Hit the Road.

I don't think they'd be allowed to, since it is a LucasArts game.

And welcome to the forum! :)
  • edited August 2007
    I don't think they'd be allowed to, since it is a LucasArts game.

And welcome to the forum! :)
    They should grab the rights somehow.

Thanks
  • edited August 2007
    Eater wrote: »

i had a copy (which my uncle gave me) but i lost it during a move

and i live in the UK so i can get a copy fairly easily
  • edited August 2007
    i had a copy (which my uncle gave me) but i lost it during a move

and i live in the UK so i can get a copy fairly easily

Finally us the in UK get something the US don't. :D
  • edited August 2007
    Finally us the in UK get something the US don't. :D

well we dont censor the letter u out of some of our words ie colour and honour
  • edited August 2007
    well we dont censor the letter u out of some of our words ie colour and honour

I meant games - America get loads of games before us. :(
  • edited August 2007
    I meant games - America get loads of games before us. :(

it was a joke but what are we going to do at least we got season one at the same time
  • edited August 2007
    it was a joke but what are we going to do at least we got season one at the same time

Oh, I knew you were kidding - don't worry. :) Yeah, we get Telltale stuff at the same time which is good, but not stuff like Mario Galaxy and Brawl (examples off the top of my head).
  • edited August 2007
    Well, the US and Canada did get each episode two weeks earlier on Gametap so....

I'll shut up now...
  • edited August 2007
    Badwolf wrote: »
    Well, the US and Canada did get each episode two weeks earlier on Gametap so....

I'll shut up now...

I wouldn't use Gametap even if it was available to people in the UK anyway (no offense Gametap :D).
  • edited August 2007
    we got the broken sword games earlier as well as a few others
Sign in to comment in this discussion.