[WD] Episode 2 not saving progress

edited August 2012 in Game Support
PC: Steam related...

Hello,

I played through Episode 1 and quit the game. When I restarted it I chose my safe game and selected episode 2. I played until you get trapped into that kind of " storage room" :) when I had to quit. When I restarted the game I was still in Episode 1 with the safe game...

Can I get around that somehow? I don't want to play the same parts over and over again nor do I want to play it through in one session just to see that all my decitions are gone in episode 3.

Best regards,
Isa

Comments

• puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2012
    Hi Isa, this thread might be of some help to you, though I don't know if the same workaround will help with the Steam version.
  • edited August 2012
    puzzlebox wrote: »
    Hi Isa, this thread might be of some help to you, though I don't know if the same workaround will help with the Steam version.

No, it's not working.

I reinstalled and played the whole first episode again but I just dont get an option to start Episode 2 after the first is finished and when I just start episode 2 from the games loading screen it is not saved.

This really annoyes me, if they release a game with auto save and no direct save option they have to make sure it's working on all systems. And it's not their first game.

So what to do now? Is their some official note that they know about that and working on it?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2012
    I am not sure what's going on there, but it could also be related to a different save game issue. You can try if this workaround helps.
  • edited August 2012
    No not working...

The saving in this game is messed up.

What I found out is...the game actually safe the progress. I can see it in the
    C:\Users\<user>\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead folder. It created now 18 save files and when the little save icon ingame appears the last one gets updated or at least the change date and time are updated.

If I close the game and rerun it it's only showing me the option to start save game number 12 which I can see because of the time and date print in the ingame save game.

So it seems that the game is storing an old save game somewhere else or better said a reference to it. But where? I tried to rename save game 18 to 12 but this does not change the ingame date and time footprint, it stays the same (and I only get a black screen - with my axe inventory to the left - when loading the game).

So how does the game know that there is a save game from 08/18 10am when I removed that file from the save folder? It must ave stored that info somewhere else....and that seems to be the problem...
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2012
    JOHIsaac wrote: »
    So how does the game know that there is a save game from 08/18 10am when I removed that file from the save folder? It must ave stored that info somewhere else....and that seems to be the problem...

I think that data is stored in the prefs.prop among other things. The game also seems to depend on the files Timestamps somehow, according to this fix for another issue.

If you are interested in some tinkering, you can try that fix with your savegames until you find the correct one.
  • edited August 2012
    Funktioniert auch nicht...also not working.

This might work if old and new save game re in the same chapter, but my problem is, that the save game stays in chapter 1 and my "old" (or new) save game is chapter 2. If I try to continue the modified save game I just get a black screen. It looks like that the game does not only store the time and date of the save game in that prefs.prop but also the chapter/episode and thus this does not work.

Man this save system is messed up. Why not only load the last save game...but that question can only TTG answer.

Looks like we have to wait for a patch. Thanks anyway, you did your best to help.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2012
    Yeah, that tutorial was for episode one. It might need some adaption since you try to recover an episode 2 save game, i.e. playing Episode 2 until it saves for the first time, and replacing the episode 2 save game with your original one.
    I haven't tried that, but it might work. It might still need the episode 1 save belonging to it in the same folder too...

The complicated save system is probably because it tracks a lot of stuff you do and you can even rewind.
  • edited August 2012
    I would but it's not saving progress in Episode 2. So if I start a new game in episode 2 and quit out after a while I can see the save games in the folder but the save game dialog ingame is empty.
  • edited August 2012
    Ok, I removed my prefs.prop file and all safe games and started a new episode two game with random choices. Now it's saving and I was able to change the save games.

So the problem is that prefs.prop file. I played the first episode two times with the same result so at least at my steam copy this problem is reproduceable.

So now I have to play with these random choices...not what I was hopping for but at least I can play it. I hope it's saving now.
  • edited August 2012
    I hate to break it to you, sir, but I'm not thinking the save issue is fixed at all. If you put in more game time, it's very likely going to wind up messing up your saves again. It did the exact same thing to me, and I've been scouring forums for any sign of acknowledgement regarding this problem.

If you want to keep playing to see if the save issue doesn't happen again, more power to you, but it was definitely a waste of time when I tried. Frustrating!
This discussion has been closed.