Season One DVD problem / Vista

edited November 2007 in Game Support
I can't do anything with this DVD - it shows up as SNM_SEASON1 in Windows Explorer... but clicking on it produces this error:

"Error Accessing the System Registry"

followed by

"Unexpected Error; quitting"

All other DVDs work. Just this one has problems.

Anyone else having this problem? Is there a fix? I'm running Vista Home Premium on an Athlon 64 X2 3800+, 2 gig RAM, 2x 6600GTs in SLI.

Help!

Comments

• EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2007
    Hmm. That's not something I've seen before. Are you running as an administrator? It sounds like Windows doesn't want you to have write access to the registry (which might happen if you're using a limited user account instead of an administrator account).

Are you able to right-click on the DVD in Windows Explorer, select Open, and then install by double-clicking Setup.exe?
  • edited July 2007
    You need to run the install as administrator (both because the game appearantly needs it and the copy-protection will certainly need it). I guess Sam & Max didn't get the 'Games for Windows' logo then :D

Do note that you shouldn't need to run the game itself as administrator, just the install.

Hmm... Vista should determine the need for admin-rights based on the filename setup.exe though. It should ask you for the password to run it as admin. Doesn't it do that?

Nice video-card setup btw :)
  • edited November 2007
    I installed S&M on my XP laptop, but uninstalled it when the laptop would not complete shutdown.

I am trying to install it on an Alienware M5790 laptop with Vista Pro and I get the same error. My account is admin.

I looked at the vendor website and it is not helpful. It states that the error must be yours.

The game disk is CD-ROM. When I run the setup.exe file, the application stalls. My disc drive is Blu-ray.

Good to have company though.
  • edited November 2007
    The TellTale S&M disk is a dvd-rom, you're yours is a cd-rom?

Anyway, sounds like your diskdrive has trouble reading the disk. Can you open it in Explorer??

Also read these threads:

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3266

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3199&page=2
    edited November 2007
    I looked at the vendor website and it is not helpful. It states that the error must be yours.

Could you show me where you saw this? (I'm assuming somewhere on The Adventure Company's website?)

Even though you're already using an administrator account, did you try right-clicking on the setup file and selecting "Run as Administrator"?
  • edited November 2007
    I'm experiencing the same error.
    My set up is

Vista Home Premium
    Core 2 Duo E6750
    Asus P5K Mobo
    2 Gig DDR2 6200 OCZ
    Geforce 7600GT 256MB
    edited November 2007
    Even though you're already using an administrator account, did you try right-clicking on the setup file and selecting "Run as Administrator"?

Did you try this? It's hard for us to help without knowing if this suggestion works or not.
  • edited November 2007
    Emily wrote: »
    Did you try this? It's hard for us to help without knowing if this suggestion works or not.

Just tried it & it works, Thanks for that :)
  • edited November 2007
    Running sam & max season 1 setup with run as administrator doesn't work for me:mad: and i have two dvd drives and i'm running vista home premium 32 bit
    plus my copy of sam & max season 1 is also cd rom.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2007
    Hey Hugh, if you are using a store bought cd-rom copy of Season 1 you may be suffering from this problem.
  • edited November 2007
    Will wrote: »
    Hey Hugh, if you are using a store bought cd-rom copy of Season 1 you may be suffering from this problem.
    Thanks for your reply will.
    My copy of sam & max season 1 worked on windows xp just fine before i upgraded to vista.
    I didn't mention in my previous message is that when i tried to run setup as run as administrator ether drive i tried it on would just keep spinning (have drive light on but do nothing):eek:.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2007
    Try copying the installation files onto your computer and then install from files on your hard drive. At the very least, that should eliminate at least one factor from the equation so we can figure out what is going on.
  • edited November 2007
    Will wrote: »
    Try copying the installation files onto your computer and then install from files on your hard drive. At the very least, that should eliminate at least one factor from the equation so we can figure out what is going on.
    I reinstalled xp so it's too late for that now.
  • edited November 2007
    I attempted to install the games on my girlfriend's computer, and got the exact same problem. She, too, has Vista, and the problem wasn't the installer, but the autorun. I used explorer to get onto the contents of the CD, and manually press the setup-file. After having waited a minute or two for a response, a box popped up requesting permition to allow the setup-file to run, and upon allowing it, the setup started as usual. So if anyone is experiencing the same problem, that should do it. :)
This discussion has been closed.