Random Topic: Does anyone knows how to fix a somewhat torn/cut wire?

edited August 2007 in General Chat
The power adaptor for my laptop has recently suffered from a tear near the head of the circular plug(the part which connects to the laptop.) As such, it stop working unless I move the head at a 90 degree angle; bending the head inwards at the exposed wire. However, that seems to give less results each time I do it.

I have bought electrical tape, hoping that it will cover up the exposed wires, hence letting electricity flow once more. Unforunately, I have no luck and angle method seems to stop working.

Any ideas on how to fix it? I am thinking if severing the head from the wire and reattatching it would work, but I have no experience in doing that.

Comments

• edited August 2007
    Unfortunately I have no experience with repairing laptop power adaptor cables, nor do I know how those type of wires are structured, so I can't help. :/
  • edited August 2007
    Haha well I can say this.. it may work if you isolate each line.. open the wires and take the one side .. tape it.. take the other side.. tape that.. then tape it all together. Being a pc tech I cant advise this since the flow of electricity is crucial. BUT seeing how the battery buffers this you might as well try.. I used to do it all the time with old power cords and headphones... just... watch out this is live power XD
  • edited August 2007
    Kaldire wrote: »
    Haha well I can say this.. it may work if you isolate each line.. open the wires and take the one side .. tape it.. take the other side.. tape that.. then tape it all together. Being a pc tech I cant advise this since the flow of electricity is crucial. BUT seeing how the battery buffers this you might as well try.. I used to do it all the time with old power cords and headphones... just... watch out this is live power XD

Thanks. I think I will try it. But I will let my brother do it since I assume he still has all the tools form his cable installing days.

I also posted this on another forum, but I forgot what the forum was called, I didn't get any confirmation email, and my history refreshed, so there is no way I would read the replys. LOL

However, that may be a good thing since while I searched for the url of the other forum, I found a tutorial site on how to fix laptop adaptor with pics.

http://www.fonerbooks.com/laptop_7.htm
  • edited August 2007
    I told my brother, but he wasn't confident that he can fix it, so he told my dad, who actually knew how to fix it from his younger days. So he fixed it with ease.
  • edited August 2007
    I'm guessing the line was structured a bit like those of a coax cable? Those could be tricky indeed. Would love to know how he fixed it so easily since we've got a couple of adapters at work which could do with a bit of treatment once in a while.
  • edited August 2007
    My laptop wire is getting a bit weary as well. At the point where it goes into the brick. :/

--Erwin
Sign in to comment in this discussion.