**spoilers** Episode 3 bug...this bug SUCKS!

edited August 2012 in Game Support
soooo...there will be spoilers in this thread, so if you haven't played the game yet, please don't read this...I'll start the actual post after hitting "enter" several times...so, if you have to scroll down to read any of this, my apologies...just want to keep the spoilers as far down as possible.

So, after being on the train and teaching Clementine how to defend herself, I left the train car to head back up to the main car (chose not to cut her hair yet). I decided to talk to Ben along the way, and the only two options I have for speaking to him are to either leave or tell him that Carley didn't have to die...well, after choosing either of those options, Lee disappears from the screen and I now can't do anything. I can click on the train car that Clementine is in, but nothing happens...Lee is gone. I can also click on Ben again, but it just restarts my 2 dialogue options with him, and after choosing either one (I've done both) Lee just disappears again...so yeah...pretty big bug here...now I'm stuck and unable to do anything.

It seems like Lee is stuck behind Ben...since when I click on Ben to activate the dialogue options again, Lee walks out from behind Ben.

Obviously I'm playing this on PS3 since this is the first release day. Hopefully someone who can fix this will see the post...blah. I'm about to exit the game and load it again...maybe that will fix it.

Comments

• edited August 2012
    okay, so I found a workaround...it's annoying and will probably take several tries...I must have tried this about 10 times before I FINALLY got it to work. I clicked on Ben to initiate the dialogue for him and then QUICKLY (and I mean QUICKLY, since you have like 1 second to do this or else the dialogue between Lee and Ben will start) scrolled over the the box car that Clementine is in and hit the x button and I actually manage to do it quickly enough that it cancelled out the dialogue with Ben and Lee ended up going into the box car that Clem is in.

Soooo...thankfully I was able to do something about it, but the bug definitely needs to be fixed so that others don't have to encounter this.
  • edited August 2012
    omg...another reply...sorry everyone...sheesh. So, yeah...I made my last post a little prematurely...because as soon as I exited the box car that Clem was in, Lee walked back up onto the next car where Ben is...and he disappeared again...ffs!...grrrrrr

So yeah...doesn't appear that there is a workaround that players can do...it's going to have to be fixed by the developers.
  • edited August 2012
    So sorry to hear this is happening to you! There's a similar bug on the train that's resolved by quitting back out to the main menu and then reloading your game. Have you tried that?
  • edited August 2012
    I'm just trying that now...having to replay through the last few minutes prior to when this bug reared its ugly head. I'm going to avoid talking to Ben this time around since that seems to be what triggered the bug for me. I'll make an edit to this post when I've gotten back to that point to let you know. Just figured I'd post the problem anyway so that the devs could see it and make a note of it to possibly work out an update with a fix.

**edit** just went through again, had to have the entire chat with Chuck again, went back into the main cab where Kenny is, just talked to him about my past and that was it. Then I left, walked by Ben without talking to him this time. Taught Clem to defend herself again, decided NOT to cut her hair again and then went to go back to Chuck to (I assume) give him the whiskey I got in the train car with Clem in it, and again, walked up onto the train car where Ben is to head back to Chuck, and as soon as I got to where Ben is on the train, Lee disappeared again. So it doesn't appear that exiting and reloading the game has done anything. I'll try again, I suppose...but I don't really expect anything to change :\
  • edited August 2012
    I'm having a similar problem after talking confronting Chuck after he talked to Clem and him telling Lee that he needed to teach Clem how to defend herself/etc.

I talk to Kenny in the train's cab and try to access the maps but he keeps telling me to go away, so I exit the cab and try to heads toward the boxcar but as soon as I see Ben leaned over the railing and Lee closes the door behind him the game's camera goes below the ground and all you can see are trees in the game's skybox. If I move around the analog stick around some then Lee automatically goes back into the cab with Kenny.

Also there's a spot while in the cab where the outside of the train blocks the camera and you cannot see anything in the cab unless you move Lee behind Kenny.
  • edited August 2012
    I talk to Kenny in the train's cab and try to access the maps but he keeps telling me to go away

This kept happening to me as well. Not sure if that's a bug or if you just need to do some other things prior to being able to get the map. But it's worth noting. So thanks for mentioning it since I didn't think to mention that.
  • edited August 2012
    This kept happening to me as well. Not sure if that's a bug or if you just need to do some other things prior to being able to get the map. But it's worth noting. So thanks for mentioning it since I didn't think to mention that.

I was able to fix my problem by restarting my PS3 and reloading my save.

Once you find the bottle of whiskey in the boxcar, you can give it to Chuck and you can share a drink with him (or not). He will tell you to tell anyone else on the train if they want a drink to come and get it, tell Kenny that and he'll leave the cab to get a drink allowing you to grab the map.
  • ArthurVArthurV Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2012

This is as designed. You need to direct Kenny elsewhere after you've acquired a certain item.
  • edited August 2012
    yeah, I figured that might be what was going on with the map thing. However, I just decided to try quitting the game and restarting my PS3 to see if that would fix my problem...just went through everything all over again, making the same decisions, and nope...still a no-go...Lee still disappears when I exit the car that has Clementine in it :\
  • edited August 2012
    well, while waiting to see if the bug would be patched, I decided to go back and try some other things...since I'm not sure which thing worked, I'll just post everything I did.

I turned on my PS3 (since I had stopped playing in the hopes that a patch would be released in a few hours) and instead of loading my last save (where the confrontation with Chuck starts after what he said to Clementine) I loaded the save BEFORE that (so I had to hit the square button to "rewind") so I started off with the train being stopped to deal with Duck. After replaying that part, making all the same choices I did before, I then started out the dialogue with Chuck again. Made all the same choices there, then headed back to the train car with Clementine. This time I made all of the same choices, except I decided to cut her hair this time, then grabbed the bottle of whiskey right before leaving that train car. After doing that, and avoiding the dialogue with Ben the whole time, Lee didn't disappear this time, and I was able to successfully complete the rest of the episode.

So yeah, don't know what fixed it this time since I did a few things differently, but something made it work. The bug still needs to be fixed though, and I hope the developers are working on it. Just wanted to post again to share what I did, and to say that I was finally able to complete the episode.
  • edited August 2012
    Wait what... episode 3 had been released??
  • edited August 2012
    on the PS3 yesterday and I believe PC and Xbox today o.O lol
This discussion has been closed.