Good RPGs

edited August 2007 in General Chat
Does anyone know of some good RPGs like the Baldur's Gate series, Icewind Dale series, or Planescape: Torment? I found a game on Gametap, Prince of Qin, that's similar in design to them. But it has the worst voice acting I have ever, ever heard in a game and it seems to have been translated from Chinese by a monkey because half the time it barely makes sense. :/ Qin is a pretty good game though, if you try to look at it's faults in a humorous light.

Comments

• edited August 2007
    There's Fallout 1 & 2, and KOTOR 1 & 2. Fallout is more like the ones you listed, though.
  • edited August 2007
    Got those, and beat them, but good suggestion. :) As for KOTOR, is that Knights of the Old Republic? As in Star Wars?
  • edited August 2007
    There's the Troika (mostly fallout devs I think) developed Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura, but it's probably pretty hard to come by these days.
    It's good ol' fashioned isometric roleplaying.
    They just don't make 'em like that anymore...

The KotORs were a bit shallow in my opinion and the second one was a bit unfinished, but they were ok I guess. It's pretty cool to run around shooting lightning at people when you go for the dark side and there's a few of laugh out loud moments when you do the jedi mind trick. "Hey, I just realised I like you alot! Here, have some money!" :D

I've never played the Neverwinter Night games, but I've heard they're a bit like the Baldurs and Icewinds.

And........ No, wait. I'm done.
  • edited August 2007
    Arcanum? I have that too. :) That was a good RPG, I never finished it though as I recall. I didn't like Neverwinter Nights 1, it had a terrible story and I didn't think the gameplay was that fantastic. I thought it was distinctly average. I played the original Dungeon Siege, not exactly an RPG, and it was very shallow even for an action RPG.

I never even bothered to play Neverwinter Nights 2 or Dungeon Siege 2, because I disliked the originals so much. I do have a couple Star Wars RPGs, action oriented, but I don't recall which. I know there were a couple made after those that were very highly rated though.
  • SquinkySquinky Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2007
    Chrono Trigger!
  • edited August 2007
    Squinky wrote: »
    Chrono Trigger!

Definitely.
  • edited August 2007
    burp
  • edited August 2007
    I'm an old-school RPG kid, so my recommendations go towards LUNAR: Silver Star Story and its sequal Eternal Blue.

If, for nothing else, the story and characters.
  • edited August 2007
    Speaking of System Shock 2, BioShock should have some RPG elements as well. (Can't wait for that one :D)
  • edited August 2007
    Speaking of speaking of FPS RPGs, there's Deus Ex. I think you can get it on Steam for $10.
  • edited August 2007
    Couple more games which might not fit in with the rest of them, well maybe if you consider Deus Ex and System shock RPG's.

In a way you could probably consider games like Star Control 2 an RPG. The Ur-Quan masters remake of the game is really nice.
    Revenant is a classic hack'n'slash like game which wouldn't look too different from Diablo, if it wasn't because you used keys to move and fight, the fighting taking more a sort of beat em up style with combos and jumps etc etc.
    If you really want to push it, maybe you could consider Magic & Mayhem and Art of Magic RPGs. Though it's more a tactical game, your wizard will learn new spells and you need to allot your skills between mastery and chaos/order/neutrality spells. Still quite amazed at M&Ms AI which seemed to actually learn as you played against it. Remember getting hopelessly stuck at some point in the game, then noticing a file which had grown slowly as I played it. Moved it away and suddenly the AI was as easy to fight as the first few levels, quickly got harder though.
  • edited August 2007
    Sorry, imo you'll never find an rpg to top planescape: torment. My god that game is brilliant.

Um.. I suppose there's neverwinter nights.. but it's not that good. Shadows of Undrentide is a lot better than the main game which is.. depressing really. I mean, NWN had some great bits, the ghost villiage, the snowglobe etc.. but it was just so well.. tedious and unlike BG2 which I adore.
  • edited August 2007
    my favourite is skies of arcadia it may be turn based but its brilliant
    also broken sword IV for the ps1 was quite good (turn based)
  • edited August 2007
    The only problem I had with planescape was you couldnt made a character and it was d&d. But seeing how the plot and dialog kicked so much ass Id have to agree in saying it is brilliant.. just shouldnt have been related to d&d :P
  • edited August 2007
    This is an oldie but you should definately play Ultima 7! That game kicks ass.. it's very big and tons of optional stuff. Cool storyline as well and good characters.

Personally I also love Ultima 8 but a lot of people seem to dislike that one as it's too action/adventure-ish.
  • edited August 2007
    Kaldire wrote: »
    The only problem I had with planescape was you couldnt made a character and it was d&d. But seeing how the plot and dialog kicked so much ass Id have to agree in saying it is brilliant.. just shouldnt have been related to d&d :P

Well, Planescape as a setting wasn't that D&D to be honest. That's why I love it so much. I don't think the premise would have worked had you been able to create your own characters, no.. I think it was a lot more involving taking on a pre made role. The story was just terrific and my god, it captures the setting so so well.
    I'm a major planescape nut you see, I own all the books so yeah.. heh.
  • edited August 2007
    Planescape is a campaign setting inside the D&D universe (or whatever you call it) so I'm pretty sure any game made in the planescape setting would have to be married to the D&D ruleset because of copyright stuff.
    The only problem I had with planescape was you couldnt made a character
    It would have been weird to create your own characters in Torment, because the game is waaay too specific. You don't just get the usual "You are the chosen one/offspring of [entity]/reincarnation of [entity]/guy for the job, go save/doom the world!" and as far as how that game was built that is a (very) good thing.

Oh, and another RPG worth checking out: http://www.irontowerstudio.com/
  • edited August 2007
    Yeah, and to be honest the exact nature of torment somehow made it that much more engaging. Plus the NPCs are just cool. Ahh planescape. Shame we didn't get to see the Bleakers though, I love the bleakers.
  • edited August 2007
    Have you got a DS? Then Etrian Odyssey.
    I just ordered my copy, so I can't give you any impressions, but everyone who has it seems to love it.
    By the way, it's nothing like the games you mentioned. It's an RPG of the old school kind, more in family with the Eye of the beholder series.

Oh, and you'll want to buy the game just to understand what the heck this means:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ninH9tcPG2g
  • edited August 2007
    Sigh I still dont have a DS.. cant bring myself to pay for such dated graphics. When they are 50$ ill nab one. :P

PS.. lynx still kicks all these new age handleds butts
Sign in to comment in this discussion.