Won't detect my DVD

edited August 2007 in Game Support
I purchased Season one a few months ago, but because of things going on, I took a break from gaming. I moved out of where I was living and had broadband. I'm now stuck on dialup and more or less game-less.

But then the Season one DVD showed up and I was overjoyed, because I'd forgotten I'd even ordered it. I installed it and jumped back to where I was in the story, Episode 4. But it won't detect the disc!

No matter what I try, it just doesn't read the DVD. I get a popup error telling me the disc is not inserted and it absolutely is. It's driving me up the wall. I've tried to search the forum but it's painfully slow on dialup and haven't found anything yet. Does anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• edited August 2007
    Does the disc work if you put it into a regular DVD player?

Also, this is probably a dumb question, but your computer does have a DVD-ROM drive, right?
  • edited August 2007
    Yes. I can watch all the bonus content, although the videos do stutter a bit.

It installed the games fine, and I actually played some of episode 3 from this install, because I wanted to be refreshed. It was having problems with that one too, it would work half the time. But now I literally can't play any of them at all.

EDIT: And yes, it is a dvd drive. :p

EDIT 2: If there's any doubt about the validity of my copy here ya go!

helpmejx6.jpg
  • edited August 2007
    UPDATE: Seem to have fixed the problem. If anyone has this problem, what I did is simple.

I went into device manager, and opened the settings for IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, and I changed the transfer mode. Works for now, at least.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2007
    I'm glad you got it working, and thanks for telling us what you did! Someone wrote in to support with the exact same problem today, so I will suggest this and see if it fixes it for that person.
  • jmmjmm
    edited August 2007
    So what it is now? PIO, DMA?
  • edited August 2007
    This solution won't help many people since it involves using a separate computer running linux.

I bought the retail package and the game disk would show no files. The bonus disk, however, did work.

I tried changing my devices over to PIO from DMA and that did not work. I am using a Plextor PX-740A drive.

I took the disk over to my linux machine and behold, there was the data. I used the linux box to copy the disk onto a CD-R. I took the CD-R back to the computer and it installed like a champ.

Hopefully this will help someone out there. This is the first time I have ever had a commercial disk do this. Very odd.
  • edited August 2007
    Brimrand wrote: »
    I am using a Plextor PX-740A drive.

I have the exact same drive as this, and I have the exact same problem. No files show up.

I put the CD in another Windows PC and mapped the drive, and the installation just completed.

Hopefully the game plays. If not, I'll be right back. If it works, I'm playing S&M, probably at this very moment. :D
  • edited August 2007
    Nope, no good. Can't start the game without the CD in the drive. Ripping the ISO now on my Linux box like Brimrand did. Hopefully that'll do it.
    edited August 2007
    There have been a few reports of apparently blank discs coming with the Adventure Company version. (Note that I don't think this is the exact same problem that was originally described in this thread with our DVD, because the symptoms aren't quite the same -- an error saying the disc isn't inserted vs. a disc that appears to be blank.) TAC is looking into the problem right now. I will send them a link to this thread.
  • edited August 2007
    Alright, well, ripping the CD on Linux is not an option. There's the copy protection in the way of that. I wonder how Brimrand made out seeing that you can't start an episode without the CD in the drive?

Anyway, what I had to do was install the game through the other PC's remotely mapped drive. But you can't start the game without the CD in a real drive on your PC. I happen to have an old external USB CD-drive that I plugged in, and was able to start the game now.

Something you support guys should note here. The CD in the external drive is misbehaving as well. I can see files, but Autorun didn't happen. So it really was necessary for me to install the game through another PC because I get a "Corruption" error during installation otherwise. I think it's something about the PC itself, and not the drives.

Anyway I can play, so I'm off.

I fear you guys are about to get hit with a lot of these problems real soon now. Sorry about that!
  • edited August 2007
    Yes, I have the blank CD problem with the retail Adventure Company box. No error message shows up, the disc is just blank. The bonus CD works fine.
    edited August 2007
    Angantyr (and anyone else having the problem), could you please post your system specs including the brand of drive you're using?

Also, if possible please try the CD on another computer and let us know if it works there or not. We did not experience any of these problems during test, and it's possible that manufacturing has a role (i.e. a bad batch of discs). Knowing if the CD worked on another computer or not helps nail down if it's a disc problem or a drive/computer compatibility problem.

Clarence, even if the autorun didn't happen, you should be able to browse the disc and run the Setup.exe to install? When did this "corruption" error occur and what exactly did it say?
  • edited August 2007
    Emily wrote: »
    Clarence, even if the autorun didn't happen, you should be able to browse the disc and run the Setup.exe to install? When did this "corruption" error occur and what exactly did it say?

That's correct. The 'blank disc' is an intermittent symptom. I saw files when I first put the CD in my Plextor 740A, but other times I do not. This disc works just fine on my older PC with a quite old Creative DVD-ROM drive.

Autorun always works on my PC for anything else, and S&M auto-ran when I put this CD in the other PC. Running the setup manually (on my new PC, where all the trouble is) ran for about 30% of the installation before I got a "Corrupt installer" message.

BTW, using PIO mode on my IDE ATA/ATAPI did nothing to help.

My system is ad-hoc, Intel P4 2.8Ghz, Asus motherboard - built myself. My old system, where S&M works, is an old dual P3, again, custom built.

I've got loads of games installed on my new PC, including the notorious StarForce-protected UBIsoft title... perhaps one of these other copy protection systems is interfering with SecureROM?

I'd be glad to give you more detailed system specs if you tell me exactly in what format you'd like a report.

Sorry, I won't run S&M setup again to see if I can reproduce this problem because I have S&M working now and I don't want to mess it up. ;)
    edited August 2007
    Thanks for the info. I don't blame you for not wanting to uninstall it to mess around - if it works, why mess with it?!

I'm just trying to wrap my head around what may be happening here. It does sound to me like a problem with the disc or a combination of the disc + the drive. I don't think it's an issue with the game or the installer so much as something preventing the installer from doing what it's supposed to do.

In any case, the info you have provided is much appreciated, and now that it's working I hope you enjoy the game. :D
  • edited August 2007
    Clarence, how I made it work was accidental but I didn't realize that when I posted.

What seems to work is to start the game with the copied cd in the drive. It will spin for a minute and the copy protection will yell at you. I then put the original cd in and told it to retry. The game loaded.

What I didn't know until just now is that it won't work if you start with the original disk in the drive.

I am sorry for only giving you half the story. I'm still figuring this thing out myself.
  • edited August 2007
    If I replace my BenQ DVD with an old DVD drive, the CD can be read, but I don't have enough space in my computer to keep the old DVD drive so this isn't a solution. My computer is an Athlon X2 3800+, Asus m/b, WinXP, with a BenQ DVD.

I actually purchased the BenQ because my old DVD drive was failing and was able to read only some discs. Strangely, it's this old DVD drive that can read S&M, but the new BenQ can't. I've retested the old DVD drive and it's not able to read about half the discs I tried in it, the BenQ reads them all. Except S&M.

So, the program's installed but I can't run it because the BenQ can't read the original CD in the drive. Argh! So, what do I do?!
  • edited August 2007
    I talked to EB Games where I bought S&M and they said they might be willing to give me store credit for the game, but since I bought it over a week ago they couldn't guarantee until they checked with someone or other.

Anyway, short story, I may be able to return the game for store credit but I need to know if I should by this weekend. I don't want to do this because I have no use for the credit, and downloading the game is about 25% more than the retail box.
    edited August 2007
    I don't have any new info about the problem with the retail version yet, sorry. :(

Angantyr, please see the PM I just sent you.
  • edited August 2007
    I also have been having this issue with the retail version of the game. I put the disc in my DVD drive, and it doesn't see it (blank disc). I tried it in my dad's laptop, and it reads fine.

Drive is a Philips DVD+-RW DVD8881
    Running on Windows XP SP2
    edited August 2007
    Twilight Bard, could you please email The Adventure Company and include your system specs? You can reach them through this form on their site.

We are trying to help them figure out the issue but at the end of the day, they're the ones who are working with SecuROM to figure out why the discs are appearing to be blank for some people, and I want to make sure the details you have posted here don't fall through the cracks.

Also, I am going to close this thread because I think it's getting confusing to know which problem people are posting about. If you are experiencing an error message with Telltale's DVD, that says the disc is not inserted, try changing your transfer mode as explained earlier in this thread. If you are using the retail CD and the disc appears to be blank, please email The Adventure Company and also post your system specs here.
This discussion has been closed.