TWD Troubleshooting: Save games, .exe crashes, adding more.

edited August 2012 in Game Support
To attempt to alleviate ragefaces I've decided to make a collaborative thread concerning some of the main issues people are having with this game.
Because of trying to fix this problem myself and being massively annoyed by the lack of communication on a SUPPORT forum.

Also, there are few actual 'solutions' in the FAQ sticky thread, so check there too.

Save Game Recognition Issues PC

Save game still on your PC and not being recognised by the game? (I have noticed on my own testing, that sometimes the game will say you are on Episode 1 when you are actually saved up to your current episode - It will not let you rewind Ep 2/3 for example, and only come up with PLAY rather than CONTINUE but your choices may still be saved.)

Try these fixes:

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32666

"The game reads the prefs.prop stored in X:\Steam\steamapps\common\the walking dead\Pack\default . Copy your prefs.prop file from the my documents folder (C:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead) to the steamapps folder.

This is probably caused by a register error telling the game to read/write the prefs.prop file stored in the steamapps folder.
Note that this means you'll have to do this every time you restart your game!

tl;dr : Take a look in this folder for a prefs.prop : X:\Steam\steamapps\common\the walking dead\Pack\default"

Swapping the prefs.prop folder from the steamapps folder into my documents.

Backing up and deleting the My documents/TWD folder, reinstalling the game and starting a new game up until the car crash part of episode 1. Then take the last save from the NEW My documents/TWD folder and delete it, and replace it with the latest save file from the backed-up TWD folder, renaming it to what the 'newest' latest one was. I.E Changing it from Save_28 to Save_3

"WalkingDead101.exe has stopped working" error PC

If you're using Steam, verify the integrity of the game cache. If you're not sure how to do this, the link below will walk you through it.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...2037-QEUH-3335

Try right-clicking game's executable, which is WalkingDead101.exe, and then click Run As Adminstrator.

If it's still not working, right-click the game's executable, click Properties, click the Compatibility tab, and then check the options to run in compatibility mode for Windows 98/ME. Also check the option to disable desktop composition.

If anyone has had other issues and wants to help out others, please link me the thread and/or the advice for the fix and I'll add it to this

(I've looked at the "WalkingDead101.exe has stopped working" error sticky, but its just a survey with no answers - so useful.)

NONE OF THESE ARE GUARANTEED FIXES, THEY ARE SUGGESTIONS FROM THE COMMUNITY - UNTIL AN OFFICIAL FIX IS ANNOUNCED FROM TTG THESE WILL BE YOUR BEST BET. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK, ALWAYS BACK UP.

Comments

• edited August 2012
    I'd like to know how people got it working in compatibility mode for Windows 98/ME? I all get if I try this is a Steam error saying 'please turn off compatibility mode -right click steam.exe -select properties etc.'
  • edited August 2012
    Is there a fix for the Episode 3 stats or the fact that when you go to the main menu from in game and try to re-load the very same game you were playing it comes up with episode 3 (Coming Soon)???

I'm getting pretty pissed off as I've got so many bugs that writing them down will only cause confusion with people and frustration for me!!
This discussion has been closed.