Walking Dead unable to save - How to change save location?

edited October 2012 in Game Support
I have a problem that I cannot seem to find a solution for. Recently, I've been denied access for an unknown reason to the drive on which the Telltale Games folder is placed, and which contains all the saves, by the administrator. This means I can’t save, copy, delete, paste, create or change anything in the drive. I own a school laptop, so I don’t have any administrative rights.
I was wondering if there is a way to change where the game saves, so it saves in another drive which I can access, so I can play the Walking Dead with the game being able to save my games and settings. If you know a way to change the save location, I’d love to know! Plus, episode 3 is out now, and I can't play it yet, because it won't save, and the choices from previous episodes won't be recorded anyway.

Kratzke

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2012
    You can try moving your userprofile folder or just the documents folder with one of these methods.

There's also a property SaveGameFolderName in the registry under
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Telltale Games\WalkingDead101.exe
    that you could try to rename, if just the
    %userprofile%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead
    folder is not accessible.

All of this i have not tested, but the first one should work, the second one might.

Edit
    Just made a quick successful test with the registry value. Absolute Paths don't work, so you can't choose a different drive. But you can use relative Paths like ..\..\The Walking Dead to move it further up your profile.
  • edited September 2012
    I just discovered that I have been granted access to the drive again by my administrator, so now it works! Even though I don't need your help now, I really appreciate it, thank you!
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2012
    That's great. You're welcome.
  • edited October 2012
    Hey there again, the same problem has happened again, and I can't figure it out. One thing I didn't mention before is that I own the game on steam, so I can't just move the documents folder or change it (Telltale Games folder not in there) so yeah. It's getting into a habit of not being able to save right when a new episode comes out.
This discussion has been closed.