Differences in retail package vs. ordering bonus dvd from site?

edited September 2007 in Sam & Max
What's the difference (if any) from ordering the entire game from the site and getting the bonus dvd OR just going into the store and buying a retail copy?

other than the packaging, i'm assuming.

p.s. yes, it's me. Andrew from way back when, before the lucasforum days even. I'm sure Jake remembers me. anyone else here from those days? 1998? i used to go by "infamous shrooms"..haha i was about 13 or 14 at the time.

Comments

• edited August 2007
    Did we also call you Telarium by any chance?

Anyway, our version's bonus discs includes the episodes, and then video dvd content which is all of the episode commentaries, bloopers, concept art, and some other stuff. The retail version is on two CDs instead of a DVD, and includes a fold-out poster and a making-of video. It doesn't have the commentaries or bloopers, but it has everything else our DVD does, I believe.
  • edited August 2007
    All 15 shorts are on Telltale's version too.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2007
    Even though Doug already answered, we really should break this out in bullets somewhere on the site for easy referece...

The Adventure Company retail version:

* Comes in a box, featuring 3D rendered game art cover, and 3 panel fold out with super brief history of 20 years of Sam & Max, as designed by the Adventure Company
    * Comes on two CDs - one containing the games, one containing the special features
    * Includes a fold-out poster of Steve's highway surfing painting that was on the cover of CGW magazine last year (and is also the background art of the in-game menu)
    * Includes a behind the scenes video featurette which The Adventure Company filmed in our office and produced themselves
    * Includes a PDF of Character bios with some artwork and writing by Emily
    * Includes a small manual.
    * Includes trailers for all 6 episodes, as well as concept art, MP3s and Wallpapers

----

Telltale's version includes:

* Access to downloadable versions of all six episodes
    * "Season One Bonus disc" in DVD snapcase, featuring original cover art painted by Steve Purcell
    * Bonus disc includes all six episodes of the game, as well as the following special video features you can play on your regular DVD player plugged into your TV, or on your PC's video DVD playback software (many of which are also available on the Summer of Sam & Max website...
    - An hour and a half of in-game cutscenes spanning all six episodes, with five hours of commentary by the design team, dev team, and sound guys
    - All eighteen machinima shorts (the 15 GameTap shorts, and 3 shorts about the independent games festival)
    - A Sam & Max blooper reel
    - All six trailers as well as the E3 2006 teaser trailer
    - Concept art montage video
    - A few easter eggs :)
    * Disc also includes MP3 sampler and wallpapers

So, in all honsety, they are very different releases (other than the games themselves, which are identical releases on both discs, and of course the MP3 sampler and desktop wallpapers which are identical across both discs as well). The one on Telltale's site was designed as a disc to sort of augment the experience for people who have already played the episodes online through our site (we referred to it as "episode seven" for a brief while, until it got delayed a few extra weeks), and The Adventure Company's release is a nicely produced retail product, aimed at all the people a you might imagine a pretty classy retail product would be aimed at.

edit: Holy Crap, AndrewL! Long time no see on a Sam & Max board.
  • edited August 2007
    So many of these extras for both sets are also up on Telltale's website. I got the retail package because, well, it's cheaper and I don't have to mess with ordering. I'm pretty sure except for the extras the games are identical. Also, if your compy can't read a DVD then you should get the retail package. Also, unless Telltale just changed their price, the retail version is five bucks less.
  • edited August 2007
    I don't mind paying $5 more since I got to start playing the game almost a year ago.
  • edited August 2007
    Most of us got the Telltale disc for free anyway. :D
  • edited September 2007
    What I need to know is... does the Telltale dvd version have copy protection, and one you install do you need to have the disc in the drive? Not that I want to rip you guys off or anything. In fact I've already gone out and bought the retail version without doing my research.

I hate stuff like Starforce, SecuROM and other protections that install on your PC and mess with things. I also just assumed (my mistake!) that considering the online distribution of this game it wouldn't require a disc to play.

So anyway, tell me that the DVD version doesn't suffer from these debilitations and I'll gladly buy it again.
  • edited September 2007
    What I need to know is... does the Telltale dvd version have copy protection, and one you install do you need to have the disc in the drive? Not that I want to rip you guys off or anything. In fact I've already gone out and bought the retail version without doing my research.

I hate stuff like Starforce, SecuROM and other protections that install on your PC and mess with things. I also just assumed (my mistake!) that considering the online distribution of this game it wouldn't require a disc to play.

So anyway, tell me that the DVD version doesn't suffer from these debilitations and I'll gladly buy it again.
    You do still need the disc in the drive but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have any crappy copy protection programs (like Starforce, my arch nemesis). I'm still waiting for mine so I can't confirm much
  • edited September 2007
    It has SecuROM. The DVD has to be in your drive to play, but only to start up... the episodes are all installed on the HDD.
  • edited September 2007
    We should go back to floppy disks, they didn't have this sort of problem :P
  • edited September 2007
    backslash wrote: »
    We should go back to floppy disks, they didn't have this sort of problem :P

Yeah, and there's nothing like losing a magnet into a box of them. Don't ask me how, but I've been there and done that. :rolleyes:
  • edited September 2007
    Also securom doesn't install anything onto your computer.
  • edited September 2007
    :eek: Telarium! :eek:

As you can see at my site I tried to keep some of the "Highland Productions"-music alive... well, even THAT's been a while now...
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2007
    Telltale's version and the retail version both use SecuROM and require the disc in the drive to play.
  • edited September 2007
    SecuROM is not bad at all. Well, unless you limit the number of installs to two like some companies I won't mention. I'm sure Telltale would never do that :D A simple CD or DVD check is very reasonable.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.