What game am I thinking of

edited August 2007 in General Chat
I thought i asked this once before but I couldn't find the post so I guess i didn't. I played an adventure game at my aunts house but I can't remember it well so let me try to go through.

I remember it was a game you could lose and have to start over.
I can't remember much about the main character but he seemed to live in a large mansion, might have been a writer, and he suffered from strange nightmares.
When he had these nightmares you would actually play through a nightmare version of the world.
You could get thrown in prison and the third night you would be killed in your nightmares (if I remember right). Seems to indicate there was a way out since you can choose not to go to sleep all though i could never figure out how.

Sorry thats all I can remember. I'll post more if I remember, but if you can figure it out please its burning a hole in my brain.

Comments

• edited August 2007
    Manic Mansion? I only say that because on the mansion bit in your post. ;)
  • edited August 2007
    Hmmm ... is the main character a buglar? This sounds kind of like "5 days a Stranger" a free game by the wonderful Yahtzee.

The graphics are old school and the writing is top notch. SCARY game. You will find it here:

http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/5days/

Hey, even if I'm wrong I may have intoduced you to one of the best free adventure games available.
  • edited August 2007
    well Im fairly certain it was a game purchased from retailers. (I don't think paypal even existed and my aunt isn't really computer savy enough to use that.) This is back in like the mid 90s I believe. I had recently recieved my copy of Sam and Max then (actually given to me by that very aunt). Also graphics were better. If I had to describe the nightmare world the walls looked something like the hive walls in the alien movies. And there was something about his mirror I can't remember. Oh and it was definately not maniac mansion(huge difference in graphics)

yeah you were definately not a burgalar, you owned your own house which nobody else seemed to react to how huge it was. and you could go into town and there were stores and such and of course the afore mentioned police station
  • edited August 2007
  • edited August 2007
    new or old?

The dark eye.. a game based loosely on Poe's work leaves you playing a person who goes into realms of nightmares and comes back. I dont remember jail though. Had a mirror on the dresser and everything. Dont remember a town though...

Could also be Alan Wake .. though thats newer and again dont remember jail.

Was also thinking of a game like Uninvited.. but again no jail here..
  • edited August 2007
    not dark half
    not dark eye(although that is an interesting art style.)
    not alan wake

I can't vouch for when the game was made but when i played it it must have been the 96ish era maybe earlier. The graphics I believe were of quality like the dig, exept the characters were less detailed than the world and also seemed like characters were proportionately too short compared to the backgrounds. man my memory of it is so hazey though.

I think I was like 7 or 8 so 1994-96
  • edited August 2007
    Darkseed?

Harvester? .. these types getting closer?

I have no mouth and I must scream?

Darkseed was insane if thats it.. its a GIGER thing so he is the one who did alien.. which is why it might look like it. Actually there are 2 of those games. And if this is the one.. and I think it issss, youll like I have no mouth as well
  • edited August 2007
    Its darkseed and whats better it looks like abandonware. THANKS BUNCHES

hey was there a darkseed 2? or maybe this is a fan made thing
  • edited August 2007
    there is a darkseed 2... its 489mb and I have the original box in my lap :P
    Darkseed 1 is like 19mb or something and was even on cd with full speech and music.. good ole days eh.
  • edited August 2007
    just got home.

I dont believe the version I had was a talkie, but i'm also pretty sure the computer i was using didn't have speakers.

Do you think I will need to get some emulators to run it, suppose dosbox should work right?
  • edited August 2007
    If you're running XP, in my experience, assuming it's not a Sierra game, you should have no trouble running, I try installing an old Sierra game and it'll screw my computer pretty hardcore, but anything else runs perfectly fine.
  • edited August 2007
    nah old sierra games run fine.. there is however a small merger of games around 1995 when full motion video was huge in adventures.. black dahlia.. phanamagoria..under a killing moon.. just to name a few, all of these run horriblly in xp without patches or mods/tweaks. Along side them came the classic windows sierra games... larry love for sail.. KQ7(the cartoonish one with the female character :P) These games WILL run fine in xp.. email me if you need any help its a bit of work but they will run FULL screen and 100%
    HINT : turning windows to CLASSIC MODE and forcing the game to run in 640x480 gets you a fullscreen game with full function(solution for lsl love for sail and kq7)
    As for the dos style.. I think there are maybe 20 games on the dosbox non playable list...out of ump-teen-thousand games. Anyway if anyone ever need help running old stuff there is rarely games I or my old friends cant get running.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.