Please Patch Walking Dead Ep 3 to Use Save Data from Eps 1 & 2

edited September 2012 in Game Support
Hi Telltale. Your FAQ says this:
Episode 1 choices not being carried into Episode 2 on the PC.

We are investigating this issue now but have not yet been able to reproduce it under normal play. Please keep in mind that if you use the Rewind feature on your current save game, you will need to play through Episode 1 on that save to completion before the choices will transfer into Episode 2. This is why we recommend copying your save to a separate slot before using Rewind.

If you’re currently experiencing this issue, please open the folder that you installed The Walking Dead to. If you find a prefs.prop file in this folder, move (move; don't copy) it to your save game folder and overwrite the file that’s currently there. By default, that folder is located here:

Windows XP
C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\My Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead

Windows 7
C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead

Does this also apply to not having any save data available after installing episode 3?
I've already beaten Episodes 1 and 2 and when attempting to load Episode 3, it asks me to randomize my decisions. Are my choices lost?

No, they're not! This is slightly complicated, but there are a few things that can cause that to pop up.

If you quit out of either of the first two episodes during the end of the game or on the stats screen, before the credits roll, it won't successfully flag your game as having been completed. However, all of your choices are correctly saved and you can import them into Episode 3 without issue. You WILL get a prompt asking if you would like to randomize your choices for this episodes since your save game isn't technically flagged as being completed, but your choices ARE saved and WILL import into the new Episode. When it asks you if you want to randomize your choices, say YES. Again, this is misleading, but it WILL import your choices.

This issue can also pop up if you've ever used the Rewind feature to revisit certain portions of either of the previous Episodes. Once you've done that, your save will no longer be flagged as completed and will not update again until you've beaten the game and gotten to the credits screen. Your choices will still be saved, however, and saying yes to the random choices prompt when starting a new episode will actually import your choices correctly.

The long and short of this is that if you have successfully completed Episodes 1 and 2 at some point on your current save, and are getting the randomized choices prompt on Episode 3, you can safely ignore it. The only time it would actually randomize your choices is if you haven't actually played Episodes 1 and/or 2.

I know this is totally confusing, and we are looking into an update to make this process more clear. I definitely apologize for any confusion or frustration it's caused.

Unfortunately, for me, your explanation is not true in my case. I am looking at my savegames from Episodes 1 & 2 in the ...\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead directory right now, but I tried starting episode 3 and the "Previously On" showed very different choices from what I did. I also can not access my old saves for Episodes 1 or 2 within the game; instead I am asked to select one of three new save-game slots. Apparently, this is happening not only on PC, but also on X360 and PS3.

There have been a few threads showing workarounds that involve renaming files, tricking the game to use the old saves, adjusting the preps and syncFS files. WE shouldn't have to do this stuff! Some users even have initial success getting it to recognize their files and start them correctly in Episode 3, but none of their progress is saved when they break between sessions.

Could you....patch the game to get rid of these headaches? Thanks.

Comments

• edited September 2012
    Your explanation is not true in my case either. I successfully completed Ep1 & Ep2 However my choices in those episodes have been randomized in Ep3. e.g.- I chose not to take the food at the end of Ep2. At the finale the screen showed that I and 44% of other players chose NOT to take the food. But at the beginning of Ep3 Kenny asks how Clementine feels about my decision to TAKE the food. This certainly negates the feeling that my in-game decisions have any real meaning. Please advise.
  • edited September 2012
    jughedd wrote: »
    Your explanation is not true in my case either. I successfully completed Ep1 & Ep2 However my choices in those episodes have been randomized in Ep3. e.g.- I chose not to take the food at the end of Ep2. At the finale the screen showed that I and 44% of other players chose NOT to take the food. But at the beginning of Ep3 Kenny asks how Clementine feels about my decision to TAKE the food. This certainly negates the feeling that my in-game decisions have any real meaning. Please advise.

This is exactly what is happening with me. I did not take the food either and somebody's fix that was posted gave me that choice.

Why has TT not responded to this? Do they know this is happening?
  • edited September 2012
    I got an e-mail from Matt

Hi,

My name is Matt and I work in the Customer Service Department for Telltale Games. I understand you are having an issue with a loss of save game data. Can you provide me with the platform you were playing the game on, and a quick summary of what happened leading up to the save data loss? Also, if you are playing on a PC, can you provide me with a DXDiag file, please? To send a DXDiag, click the Start menu, click Run, and then type in DXDiag and press enter. After it loads, click Save All Information, save the file and attach it to your response.

Thank you,
    Matt

after I e-mailed him my info he responded with this

From what I can gather, it looks like your prefs file was corrupted when the game crashed. Unfortunately there’s no way to troubleshoot this problem since the prefs and save games are linked, you can no longer access those save files. If you start a new game in episode 3, you will be asked to generate random choices, and can start a new game without playing episodes 1 and 2 again. The only way to guarantee the choices you want, however, is to replay the first two episodes. I do apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you.

Thanks,
    Matt

So yep. They have a broken product. If I want a refund do I go through TT or Steam?
  • edited September 2012
    After I thought this whole corrupt save data was finished, I just started Episode 3 on my 3rd SAVE SLOT and it FROZE with a message saying DATA CORRUPTED!!! WTF??!!!! Now all my damn SAVE SLOTS are ERASED!!!

This already happened to me on Episode 2 when it first released when I played it on the 3rd SAVE SLOT!!!

WTF?!! TELLTALE?!!! WTF?!!! I GOT BETTER THINGS TO DO WITH MY FREE TIME THAN REPLAY THIS DAMN GAME A HUNDRED TIMES EACH TIME A NEW EPISODE IS RELEASED!! SHIT MAN!!

These inconveniences need to be rectified!! Shit man!
This discussion has been closed.