Walking Dead Lost Savegame

edited November 2012 in Game Support
Okay, this is a last attempt to get support from Telltale. I gather my previous posts together for you:

The game refuses to launch on a friends PC since EP3 came out.
We unplugged the controller, reinstalled DirectX, did not help at all.
He has a Quadcore with an NVIDIA 560Ti and the newest NVIDIA Drivers.

Hopefully someone from Telltale could answer to this. There are also some people on Steam that have the issue:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2913374

I have ATI and a Dualcore and no problems running it.

DXDiag:
http://pastebin.com/1djN0Ap4

We rightclicked the game and disabled visual themes as found here on the forums and made it working again. But now it does not recognize the savegames anymore. We tried every possible fix here from the Forums, without success.

So, is there any help to expect from you Telltale? My buddy really wants to play EP3 with his old choices >_>. I tried to help him fixing it, because he is not very savy with computers. Is there a patch in the making?

Comments

• edited September 2012
    Bump, any help?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2012
    Have you changed the compatibility settings too?
    If set to win95 or win98/me it saves to
    %PUBLIC%\Documents\Telltale Games\GameData
    on my system, so something similar might have happened.
  • edited September 2012
    Nope, didn't change that. The saves are stored in the normal place. But it does not actually recognize them. It always asks to start a new game with random choices.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2012
    Does it offer random choices when you try to start Episode 3?
    There's something in the TWD support FAQ about that.
  • edited September 2012
    Yes it does, but when you press "Play", there is no choice to load something in there. Only to start a new game.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2012
    I see. Other than the fixes that float around here i don't have anything i could suggest you.
    I don't know which ones you tried already though. This one helped some people.

Did you also lose all the in-game settings (e.g. resolution) when it started again?
  • edited September 2012
    Yes, when it started again, all settings have been lost. And I tried that one too.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2012
    Okay, then we know that your prefs.prop has been corrupted. You can try right-clicking it to restore a previous version, from before the settings were lost. That should in theory also still have the information needed to access the savegames.
  • edited September 2012
    That won't work. That function is disabled to save storage space. So there is no previous version. I also downloaded a new prefs file from the forums, but that did nothig actually.
    Why does it not just use Steam Cloud how it is supposed to be?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2012
    That's bad, that was the last thing i know could have worked.
    A different prefs.prop file would not have the information about your savegames. That's why the above workaround was necessary for some people.

The steam cloud question is something TTG would have to answer.
  • edited September 2012
    Hi, I dunno if this will help or not, I just got a similar problem

i sort of was doing something when I click the game to start, so it crash & I can't see my save & can only restart...

I replace with my old one, it works.

hope u got backup...

but thanks moderator, the return to previous version did work for me.
  • edited November 2012
    DjNDB wrote: »
    Okay, then we know that your prefs.prop has been corrupted. You can try right-clicking it to restore a previous version, from before the settings were lost. That should in theory also still have the information needed to access the savegames.

Worked for me. Put me on a bit of a downer when this happened. No amount of reinstalling or copy-paste to anywhere worked, but I was able to restore without a problem and BINGO!!! Signed up just to post a thanks.

edit: Sorry it didn't work for you Scorcher.
  • edited November 2012
    DjNDB wrote: »
    I see. Other than the fixes that float around here i don't have anything i could suggest you.
    I don't know which ones you tried already though. This one helped some people.

Did you also lose all the in-game settings (e.g. resolution) when it started again?

I tried this and it still randomized my decisions.

So what happened in my case - my save files were not actually lost. Without any discernable cause, the game made a new folder at
    C:\Users\Public\Documents\Telltale Games
    Up to this point (end of episode 2), it was using a folder at C:\Users\myname - my save files still exist there.

Moving them over along with the prefs.prop file does nothing; it still prompts me to start a new game when I load. When I tried the fix linked above, as said, it randomized my choices anyway. I have the files. The game won't recognize them. I'm having a lot of trouble understanding why this happened in the first place, and why there does not appear to be a way to make it go back to using the original Windows user account rather than Public.

I have no Gamedata folder, and no prefs.prop in the Steam install directory.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2012
    Without any discernable cause, the game made a new folder at
    C:\Users\Public\Documents\Telltale Games

It does that if you run it in compatibility mode for win95 or win98/me.
This discussion has been closed.