What I think of Sam and Max

edited August 2007 in Sam & Max
Just thought I'd let the team that put Sam and Max together know what I thought of it.
I hate point and click games. I mean I hate 'em. I always get frustrated by stupid, unlikely puzzles that you'd only solve through frustration or cheating, rather than logic.
I only tried Ep 1 because I was bored and didn't have a great budget that weekend. Steam flashed Sam and Max at me for $8.95 and I bit like an angry cod.
Turns out it was more fun than I've had with any game in a very long time and I was compelled to buy the other 5 episodes.
The puzzles might stump me some times, but they're never ridiculous, illogical combos like "toothpaste + carpet = love doll"
Every time I'm stumped, it's always my own oversight, not some idiotic combination of item and prop that never even made sense to the guy who thought of it in the first place.
But I digress... My reasons for hating adventure games don't apply to Sam and Max.
It's a blast and I've never laughed so much at a game before. I've still got two episodes to go, but I don't think my opinion will change before I finish them.
Well done, Telltale. I'm looking forward to more :)
*applause*

Oh, and if you got sam and max through steam and any of them are crashing on startup, right click the game in steam, click properties, click the Local files tab, then click "Verify integrity of game cache..."
Ep 4 was crashing on me, turns out something went wrong during the download and it was fixed this way.

Comments

• edited August 2007
    Yeah, only high quality with Telltale, dude!!! :cool:
  • edited August 2007
    Glad you liked the games -- enjoy the last two episodes! :)
  • edited August 2007
    good to see another satisfied customer
  • edited August 2007
    Welcome to the forum! It's good to know that Season 1 also appeals to people who don't consider themselves adventure game fans. You'll be pleased to know Season 2 starts only a few months from now and will have a bunch of improvements Telltale didn't have time to work into Season 1 (like widescreen support), as well as promising to tell even weirder stories and tell them better.
    In the meantime, did you see The Summer of Sam & Max yet? That can keep you busy for a while while waiting. :)
  • edited August 2007
    Harald B wrote: »
    Welcome to the forum! It's good to know that Season 1 also appeals to people who don't consider themselves adventure game fans. You'll be pleased to know Season 2 starts only a few months from now and will have a bunch of improvements Telltale didn't have time to work into Season 1 (like widescreen support), as well as promising to tell even weirder stories and tell them better.
    In the meantime, did you see The Summer of Sam & Max yet? That can keep you busy for a while while waiting. :)

Or you can buy Sam & Max: Hit the Road (which is an old LucasArts game) to pass the time, like I've done. Although, I'm not sure if it has crazy puzzles or not (hasn't been delivered yet).
  • edited August 2007
    Or you can buy Sam & Max: Hit the Road (which is an old LucasArts game) to pass the time, like I've done. Although, I'm not sure if it has crazy puzzles or not (hasn't been delivered yet).
    It definitely has crazy puzzles -some of them infamously illogical, actually. So I really wouldn't recommend it in this case.
  • edited August 2007
    Just thought I'd let the team that put Sam and Max together know what I thought of it.
    I hate point and click games. I mean I hate 'em. I always get frustrated by stupid, unlikely puzzles that you'd only solve through frustration or cheating, rather than logic.
    I only tried Ep 1 because I was bored and didn't have a great budget that weekend. Steam flashed Sam and Max at me for $8.95 and I bit like an angry cod.
    Turns out it was more fun than I've had with any game in a very long time and I was compelled to buy the other 5 episodes.
    The puzzles might stump me some times, but they're never ridiculous, illogical combos like "toothpaste + carpet = love doll"
    Every time I'm stumped, it's always my own oversight, not some idiotic combination of item and prop that never even made sense to the guy who thought of it in the first place.
    But I digress... My reasons for hating adventure games don't apply to Sam and Max.
    It's a blast and I've never laughed so much at a game before. I've still got two episodes to go, but I don't think my opinion will change before I finish them.
    Well done, Telltale. I'm looking forward to more :)
    *applause*

Oh, and if you got sam and max through steam and any of them are crashing on startup, right click the game in steam, click properties, click the Local files tab, then click "Verify integrity of game cache..."
    Ep 4 was crashing on me, turns out something went wrong during the download and it was fixed this way.

Dude, wait until you get to Episode 5. It's probably the best thing ever.
  • edited August 2007
    It definitely has crazy puzzles -some of them infamously illogical, actually. So I really wouldn't recommend it in this case.

Oh right. I thought it probably did. Nevermind! :D
    You can always try Bone then. :)
  • edited August 2007
    Man, the key-rasp puzzle was the absolute worst thing ever in that game...that was massive oversight on my part though...man was I kicking myself over that...but thats why I loved that game so much...XD

But, I have to say that Season One really did live up to Hit the Road...the guys really have done a wonderful job with the episodes, even though Im still yet to finish episode 6...just great work...
  • edited August 2007
    But at least they have a cache of mini-games to keep the frustration levels low. Now if only Jared would produce version of the Highway Surfing music....
  • edited August 2007
    Oh right. I thought it probably did. Nevermind! :D

most of the older adventure games had stupid and illogical puzzles but that doesn't stop me from loving them
  • edited August 2007
    patters wrote: »
    most of the older adventure games had stupid and illogical puzzles but that doesn't stop me from loving them

Oh I know, I know. I love the older adventure games, it's just that deepcapture says he doesn't like the crazy puzzles.
  • edited August 2007
    they're never ridiculous, illogical combos like "toothpaste + carpet = love doll"
    Dammit, there goes season 2...
  • edited August 2007
    Oh I know, I know. I love the older adventure games, it's just that deepcapture says he doesn't like the crazy puzzles.

I think 'crazy' is a more accurate description than 'illogical' for Hit The Road... usually. There's always a way to justify the solution; being obscure is necessary to keep it challenging.
  • edited August 2007
    Hope you stick around for Season 2, deepcapture. It's a lot of fun on these forums in between episodes. :D
  • edited August 2007
    Chuck wrote: »
    Dammit, there goes season 2...

You designed a puzzle based around a sex scandle?! Well, someone's going to get a M rating now!:D
  • edited August 2007
    being obscure is necessary to keep it challenging.

Man, that's a bleak way to look at it. Hopefully that isn't actually true.
  • edited August 2007
    ShaggE wrote: »
    Hope you stick around for Season 2, deepcapture. It's a lot of fun on these forums in between episodes. :D

Yeah, we all go mad because of the wait. :D
  • edited August 2007
    Though some of us didn't have that far to go. ¬_¬
Sign in to comment in this discussion.