Sam and Max ep.1 Windows crash

edited August 2007 in Game Support
I just purchased Sam and Max season 1. It seems to have installed properly. When I started running episode 1, I got to (what I assume was) the end of the opening cut scene, and all of the sudden my computer shut off and restarted. Upon restart, Windows XP gave me the error reporting message, saying "the system has recovered from a serious error." I tried running episode 1 again, and the same thing happened at the exact same point in the cut scene again. The error signature (not that I have any idea what it means) read:
BCCode : 10000050 BCP1 : E1244104 BCP2 : 00000000 BCP3 : BF35ECA1 BCP4 : 00000001 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 768_1

When I sent the report to Microsoft, I was directed to a webpage that said that a device driver was causing a Windows Stop Error, but that they did not have a solution. :(

Comments

• EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2007
    Could you give us your system specs, please? It sounds like your video card could be overheating.
  • edited August 2007
    I'm having a similar problem...
    I run episode one, it shows me the gametap and telltale logos and my computer restarts.
    the other episodes I've tried (Situation:comedy and Abe Lincoln must die) work fine but episode 1 doesn't work.
    I bought my DVD at pax and got a sticker to download the games if that has anything to do with it.

Edit: Oops, I just realized I have GeForce 4.
    I'm going to try out that driver thats recommended and see if that works.
  • edited August 2007
    Dang.
    I'm not sure if I installed the drivers correctly (couldn't find any instructions),
    but it still didn't work.
    very annoying.
  • edited August 2007
    themixer wrote:
    I just purchased Sam and Max season 1. It seems to have installed properly. When I started running episode 1, I got to (what I assume was) the end of the opening cut scene, and all of the sudden my computer shut off and restarted. Upon restart, Windows XP gave me the error reporting message, saying "the system has recovered from a serious error." I tried running episode 1 again, and the same thing happened at the exact same point in the cut scene again. The error signature (not that I have any idea what it means) read:
    BCCode : 10000050 BCP1 : E1244104 BCP2 : 00000000 BCP3 : BF35ECA1 BCP4 : 00000001 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 768_1

Specifcations on CPU hardware would be good. To get a basic idea on what you have if you're not computer literate, right click on 'My Computer'>select Properties>copy down information where it says 'System:' and 'Computer:'

System Requirements:
    • Windows XP
    • 1.5GHz processor
    • 256MB RAM
    • 32MB 3D-accelerated video card

Try downloading the latest 3D card display driver or installing the latest version of DirectX
    Edit: Oops, I just realized I have GeForce 4.
    I'm going to try out that driver thats recommended and see if that works.

Options:

- Download/reinstall directX 9.0c or 10 (10 available only if you have Vista)

- Reinstall the 3D card drivers. You did download the display driver yes? Click here. I'm assuming you have WinXP. If you're running Windows Vista this could be the reason why you're encountering error messages since a lot of games/software aren't very smooth sailing at the moment due to compatibility problems resolting in random crashing. So if you do have Vista, download the latest service pack updates and try again

- Another option for Vista would be to right click your game.exe, click on properties>Compatibility>tick 'Compatibility mode' box and select Windows 98/XP.

- Make sure the screen resolution is set at 800x600 or above

- Jump up and down on the keyboard and throw the monitor out the window in 'Sam & Max' signature style
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2007
    TheCleaningGuy, the driver we recommend on the support page usually resolves the problem for Geforce4 users, so I'm not sure what to suggest. :( The Geforce4 is on the low end of what will run with this game, but that driver has worked for other Geforce4 users who have had this problem.

Since you do have access to the downloads, you could try the downloadable version of episode 1 instead and see if you have better luck with that. Let me know if you're using Vista because you'll need to use an alternate version (the Culture Shock download has activation problems on Vista).

EDIT: Using compatibility mode might work with the DVD (I haven't tried it), but it's not recommended for the downloads because it'll cause problems with activation.
  • edited August 2007
    Thank you both very much.
    I found a driver that works with whatever strange offspring of the GeForce 4 that I have and now everything works fine!
    I'm certainly glad I have a friend who actually knows what he's doing when it comes to PCs (I'm a console gamer myself).
    All ramblings aside, I am one very happy camper!:D
This discussion has been closed.