Steve Purcell & Status of Things

edited August 2007 in Sam & Max
How much creative control does Steve Purcell have over the series ?
What's your current target market?
I'm a loyal S&M customer (not fetish) and while I bought the whole season (after I bought 3 or 4 episodes) and other products, I buy it because I love Steve Purcell's twisted ideas. Steve's winning personality gets kinda drowned out in the games.

I think you guys oughta make Steve punch out more printable art. I have two pieces hanging on my walls and it's not nearly enough. The sketchbooks are a gas too. Oh, and more T-Shirts and stuff. Vynil toys would be insanely awesome too. JUST MAKE SURE THAT IT'S ALL DESIGNED BY STEVE!

What's the word on the reprint of "Surfin' the Highway"?

Don't be afraid to make the games more adult themed. The episodes up to Abe Lincoln Must die have been pretty kiddy-themed. Don't forget your biggest market is the people who grew up on Sam & Max and are already used to raunchy humor.

Comments

• edited August 2007
    When you say more 'adult themed', what are you trying to get at? More violence? Hit the Road was only a 12+ here in the UK.
  • edited August 2007
    I think he means the same grittiness as the comics
  • edited August 2007
    Would be cool, but I think it's also so enjoyable, there's nothing to complain about... but it would be cool
  • edited August 2007
    I'm a loyal S&M customer (not fetish)

*Puts down whip* Aww....

Besides, I thought you had to have a Sam and Max fetish to blow all your money on the merchandise.
  • edited August 2007
    *Puts down whip* Aww....

Besides, I thought you had to have a Sam and Max fetish to blow all your money on the merchandise.

Good job I looked on the hint board. :D
  • edited August 2007
    Depends the way you take it.
    But yeah, I am a huge fan of Steve Purcell's art.

xChri5x - Yeah, same grittiness as the comics. Plus the dry sarcasm of Hit the Road is missed on my side of the fence.
  • edited August 2007
    Which side of the fence is that, out of curiosity? I agree that the games could use drier humour; personally I find it much funnier than the 'randomness', for want of a better word, we sometimes see, which leads to forced jokes and a rather punchline-saturated feel to many dialogues.
  • edited August 2007
    The same side you're on pal.

YOU GUYS NEED THE HUMOR TO BE LESS PUNCHLINEY AND MORE OF THE DRY SARCASM STUFF!

is punchliney a word?
  • edited August 2007
    I can see what you guys are saying.. hit the road had conroy bumpus.. sam & max's interactions with him were hilarious.. it would be kool if season 2 had a similar kind of character that they could get stuck in 2
  • edited August 2007
    I think there's a bit of a difference in the humor between Season One and Hit the Road, just like there's a slight difference in feel between Hit the Road and the comics, or Hit the Road and the animated series. I think it's quite cool that each incarnation of Sam & Max kind of has its own distinct feel. The important thing is that the style doesn't stray too far from the mothership - the comics - and it doesn't. I don't think Season One is any further from the comics than Hit the Road is, it just builds more upon certain other aspects of it. As long as the dialog is still distinctly Sam & Max, it's fine that it's not distinctly Hit the Road.
  • edited August 2007
    I quite like in Hit the Road (still playing it) that Sam & Max know they are in a game, and how they comment on it (the most recent example I can remember was when you
    get the THE END screen when you put money down the well
    ).
  • edited August 2007
    I quite like in Hit the Road (still playing it) that Sam & Max know they are in a game, and how they comment on it (the most recent example I can remember was when you
    get the THE END screen when you put money down the well
    ).
    Or when you constantly try and force same to do something when he cant and then he starts sobbing and max starts going off at you because you made sam sob...that was funny...
  • edited August 2007
    Or when you constantly try and force same to do something when he cant and then he starts sobbing and max starts going off at you because you made sam sob...that was funny...

AHAHAH that was brilliant!
  • edited August 2007
    The point is, I don't like the forced laughs of Season One. Abe Lincoln had least number of them. It seems like every joke is delivered as a punchline.

The only reason that disappointed me is because it's not the type of humor i grew up on and got my wits from. (the little that I do have)
  • edited August 2007
    I think Sam is a character known for sarcasm..maybe they need to give him some better lines..or get better delivery from his v/a
  • edited August 2007
    If we are wanting Sam to be more like Hit the Road, I think more sarcasm is needed from him... I quite like that in Hit the Road, actually. :)
  • edited August 2007
    Oh boys, I think that the humour in Season One is just great, what's wrong with it? It was one of the best things of the entire series, and I think that its success depends mostly from it.
  • edited August 2007
    Oh boys, I think that the humour in Season One is just great, what's wrong with it? It was one of the best things of the entire series, and I think that its success depends mostly from it.

Nothing's wrong with it! I was just saying that I quite like Sam's sarcasm in Hit the Road, but Season One humour is great. :D
  • edited August 2007
    nothing's wrong with it except for the fact that the jokes mostly sound forced and punchliney (mostly max's lines)
  • edited August 2007
    It didn't seem that way to me :confused:
    But, oh well, opinions are always appreciated.
  • edited August 2007
    Yes, Max has a lot of moments in which it feels as though, for want of a better joke, he simply blurts out a load of disassociated words (I feel it shows how unmemorable they are that I can't remember any examples, although I vaguely recall a string of such comments in Sybil's in one of the episodes. Something about summoning demons or... something). It reminds me of people who decide they're going to be the life of a conversation by being delightfully 'random' (which I've used in quote marks twice in this topic now, but I can't think of any more appropriate word!) - very forced and not well thought-out or even relevant. Of course, this by no means describes all the jokes in Season One. My particular favourites are Sam's observational comments, but he and Max have some brilliant exchanges as well in which Max can have a clever and witty contribution, proving that Max needn't be so childish in order to get laughs.
  • edited August 2007
    It reminds me of people who decide they're going to be the life of a conversation by being delightfully 'random'.

One quote that jumps to mind is in episode 4: (quoting from memory here) "Did I mention I know pi to a thousand places? 3.14[numbers]". It seemed just a bit out of place.

I know what people mean about the punchliney jokes as well. But mostly, the humour's pretty good, and even the punchliney jokes get me laughing sometimes.
  • edited August 2007
    The only one that really bugged me was "as vaguely referred to on TV!"

Seemed like a non-joke.

Other than that, I think the humor is pretty good, and it got better across season one, so I have high hopes for season 2.
  • MelMel
    edited August 2007
    Badwolf wrote: »
    One quote that jumps to mind is in episode 4: (quoting from memory here) "Did I mention I know pi to a thousand places? 3.14[numbers]". It seemed just a bit out of place.

Squinky (their former intern) may have to either confirm or deny, but I think that was an inside joke. She does know pi to a thousand places, I believe, and that line may have been put in there because of that. :)
  • edited August 2007
    I thought season 1 was hilarious.. I do agree with the comments about Sam getting more sarcastic and funny lines though.. It seemed Max delivered 90% of the jokes
  • edited August 2007
    Mel wrote: »
    Squinky (their former intern) may have to either confirm or deny, but I think that was an inside joke. She does know pi to a thousand places, I believe, and that line may have been put in there because of that. :)
    Actually, that probably would've been funnier. The idea, which didn't come across very well, was just to have Max saying the absolute worst possible thing around Sam while Sam was trying to memorize a phone number.
  • edited August 2007
    The humor is good but not top notch. The episodes would've been getting better reviews by average if the jokes would've been more incredibly funny more often.

But hey, comedy is hard as hell, here's hoping Season 2 improves on this.
  • MelMel
    edited August 2007
    Chuck wrote: »
    Actually, that probably would've been funnier. The idea, which didn't come across very well, was just to have Max saying the absolute worst possible thing around Sam while Sam was trying to memorize a phone number.

Squinky, you've really let yourself go...

:p

Seriously, I've heard her mention her love of pi and for some reason, thought I remembered someone saying that (or a bunch of thoughts collided inappropriately in my head.)
  • edited August 2007
    Well that's to get the ball rolling.
    I believe that if we snowball this thread enough, maybe the kids over at Telltale will perk up their beady little eyes to what we have to say. Not that they haven't till now.

Yeah, it's a good point, Max does come out with very unrelated things very often. The directors and the voice actors should read "Surfing the Highway" at least once a month for inspiration. I find after reading through it that I come out with more smart-assed jokes than usual.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.